Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Patrick proposes 2014 state budget

Office of Governor Patrick/Flickr

Gov. Deval Patrick has proposed a state budget of $34.8 billion for the 2014 fiscal year, which includes a $39 million increase for the University of Massachusetts system, according to a UMass press release.

“I firmly believe that investing meaningfully today in education … will significantly improve our economic tomorrows,” Patrick said in a message accompanying his budget announcement.

The total proposed state budget for the UMass system in the upcoming fiscal year is $478.7 million, which is a 7.8 percent increase over funding. The proposal adds $14 million for the cost of collective bargaining agreements and $25 million in new funds, according to the press release.

According to a press release from the governor’s office, the budget proposal helps to ultimately achieve the state’s goal of funding at least 50 percent of the educational costs at UMass. This balance has not occurred since 2008, according to the UMass press release, when the state paid for 57 percent of UMass educational programs.

The budget also proposes a new $116 million investment in the MASSGrant scholarship program, according to the budget brief provided by the state. MASSGrant provides scholarships and additional forms of financial aid to students in high-demand programs of study, in order to ensure that more students in Massachusetts have the chance to attend and graduate college.

According to the UMass press release, the governor’s plan also provides $7.5 million for the state’s Vision Project, an incentive program for each of the 29 public campuses to pursue goals for higher education.

“The state budget is challenged to make critical investments in our economy, particularly those in education … while meeting our obligation to protect the most vulnerable residents in our communities,” said Patrick in his budget message.

The budget process next moves to the state legislature where representatives will create their own proposal and send it to Patrick, who then has the power to sign their bill or veto it if revisions are necessary.

The 2014 fiscal year begins on July 1, 2013.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at pphoff@student.umass.edu