Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

Patrick proposes 2014 state budget

Office of Governor Patrick/Flickr

Gov. Deval Patrick has proposed a state budget of $34.8 billion for the 2014 fiscal year, which includes a $39 million increase for the University of Massachusetts system, according to a UMass press release.

“I firmly believe that investing meaningfully today in education … will significantly improve our economic tomorrows,” Patrick said in a message accompanying his budget announcement.

The total proposed state budget for the UMass system in the upcoming fiscal year is $478.7 million, which is a 7.8 percent increase over funding. The proposal adds $14 million for the cost of collective bargaining agreements and $25 million in new funds, according to the press release.

According to a press release from the governor’s office, the budget proposal helps to ultimately achieve the state’s goal of funding at least 50 percent of the educational costs at UMass. This balance has not occurred since 2008, according to the UMass press release, when the state paid for 57 percent of UMass educational programs.

The budget also proposes a new $116 million investment in the MASSGrant scholarship program, according to the budget brief provided by the state. MASSGrant provides scholarships and additional forms of financial aid to students in high-demand programs of study, in order to ensure that more students in Massachusetts have the chance to attend and graduate college.

According to the UMass press release, the governor’s plan also provides $7.5 million for the state’s Vision Project, an incentive program for each of the 29 public campuses to pursue goals for higher education.

“The state budget is challenged to make critical investments in our economy, particularly those in education … while meeting our obligation to protect the most vulnerable residents in our communities,” said Patrick in his budget message.

The budget process next moves to the state legislature where representatives will create their own proposal and send it to Patrick, who then has the power to sign their bill or veto it if revisions are necessary.

The 2014 fiscal year begins on July 1, 2013.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at pphoff@student.umass.edu