Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Kyle Smith, Zachary Oliveri shine in UMass’ exhibition win over Siena

Saturday afternoon was the Kyle Smith show at Garber Field as the No. 13 Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team finished its preseason exhibition schedule with a come-from-behind, 14-7 win against Siena.

The senior attacker tallied five goals, four of which came in the first half. His fourth goal put the Minutemen ahead for good late in the second quarter.

Assisting on three of Smith’s goals was fellow senior Will Manny, a 2012 Tewaaraton Award – which is given to the national player of the year – finalist. Manny also added two goals of his own.

The duo struck for UMass’ first goal of the game with 7:49 left in the first quarter when Manny found a cutting Smith in front of the net. Smith then finished from point-blank range to beat Saints goalie Matt Sharp.

They weren’t done there, however, as Manny found Smith again with 6.5 seconds left in the first quarter to tie the game at 3-3.

The two connected two more times in the second quarter. First, Manny assisted Smith to tie the game at 5-5. Then, Smith returned the favor and assisted a Manny goal after Siena scored again to tie the game at 6-6.

Shortly after Smith’s fourth goal, which Grant Whiteway assisted, Connor Mooney scored the effective game-winning goal with only 0.3 seconds left in the first half, giving UMass an 8-6 lead at the break.

The Minutemen carried that momentum into a dominating second half, allowing just one goal and clamping down defensively.

A big reason for the dominating defensive performance was the play of redshirt freshman goalkeeper Zachary Oliveri. He had his fair share of struggles early on as the Saints got out to a 5-3 lead in the second quarter, but he only allowed two more shots past him in the second and third quarter combined.

Junior goalkeeper Reed Goodhue replaced him in the fourth quarter and prevented Siena from getting on the scoreboard the entire quarter. The two of them are competing for the starting minutes in goal as the regular season begins this week.

Other Minutemen who contributed offensively included Matt Whippen, Whiteway, Colin Fleming, Robert Orazietti and K.R. Jurgelevich.

Whippen scored UMass’ second goal late in the first quarter with the help of Jurgelevich, who assisted the goal. Whiteway then scored in the second quarter. The rest of the scoring in the first half belonged to Smith, Manny and Mooney.

Fleming also stepped up big in the second half. The senior scored twice early in the third quarter, including a twirling goal that crept in top-shelf to put the Minutemen up 11-7 at the time.

Orazietti and Jurgelevich scored the only two goals of the fourth quarter for either team.

UMass returns to Garber Field Saturday to begin its regular season against Army at noon.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Cam_McDonough.