Hird appointed dean of College of Social and Behavioral Sciences -

Monday, March 30, 2015

UMass women’s lax cruises to 17-7 win over George Mason -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Earl Sweatshirt explores his dark side on great sophomore album -

Monday, March 30, 2015

East Village explosion painful, revealing -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Courtney Barnett offers unique outlook on life on debut album -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Lessons learned from a boy band -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Angela McMahon earns 100th career win in UMass women’s lacrosse’s win over George Mason -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Cornell professor explores education, politics and inequality -

Monday, March 30, 2015

UMass softball swept by St. Joseph’s -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Kendrick Lamar’s ‘To Pimp a Butterfly’ is a wild, unpredictable masterpiece -

Monday, March 30, 2015

UMass baseball falls 8-0 to VCU in series finale -

Monday, March 30, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse’s win streak snapped in battle with No. 18 Towson -

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Closing arguments presented, jury deliberations begin Friday in first of four 2012 gang rape trials -

Friday, March 27, 2015

UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Jean Kim addresses SGA on housing, Governor’s proposal

Cade Belisle/Collegian

In the third meeting of the semester, the Student Government Association  had a number of items to tend to on their agenda.

The meeting began with an address delivered by Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, Jean Kim, who made a variety of announcements discussing student residential life for the next year and the plans to revamp the Faculty in Residence programs.

Kim explained that there will be faculty living in the new Commonwealth Honors College dormitories when they are completed and encouraged students to nominate faculty that would be a good fit for the program.

She also explained that if Governor Deval Patrick’s recent proposal to give more money to public universities was approved, then it would put a halt on fee increases for the next couple of years.

Secretary of Finance Zachary Broughton questioned what would happen to the recently passed Student Activities Trust Fund fee should the governor’s proposal pass. The $28 fee that was approved by a direct student referendum in December would funnel money directly back into student organizations and services.

Vice Chancellor Kim explained that since the Amherst campus, being the flagship university in the University of Massachusetts system, would receive a large portion of the potential funding, it is not likely that the SATF fee increase would go through, despite the referendum’s approval by the student body. She did offer that the topic can be revisited once the actual proposal is decided.

Following Kim’s announcements, role was taken and with 27 present senators, quorum was called.

One of the most poignant moments of the meeting was a motion sponsored by Speaker of the Senate Hayley Mandeville to formally recognize Jake Hoffman, a UMass student who passed away in the recent Rolling Green apartment fire on Jan. 21. Hoffman was a senior hospitality and tourism management major.

Mandeville proposed the motion as a first of its kind in the Senate. She explained that the SGA’s motions are a reflection of the opinions of the student body and that the body can use their opinions in different ways to help the student community.

The motion illustrated Hoffman as an infectious and curious person, in addition to being a dedicated student who loved being around people.

Students from the Jewish Student Union and the Jewish Leaders in Business clubs came to speak in honor of Hoffman’s memory. Members from both groups testified that Hoffman’s personality was one deeply felt by the groups and that he will not be forgotten.

The Senate passed the motion in a roll call vote. All members of the SGA stood as the motion passed in honor of Hoffman.

The final acts on Monday night’s agenda were motions to appoint new members to the Senate. Samuel Medeiros was sworn in as the Chancellor of Elections. Outgoing Chancellor of Elections Ed Tedesco was appointed to a North Senate seat, as he plans to help with budgetary issues, while Lauren MacCormack was appointed to an open Southwest North seat. Billy Bebrin, Dave Morin, Jacob Gorham and Vincent Vecchiarello were appointed to open Commuter seats. Finally, Aaron Shepard, Annie Mombourquette and Dan Burkowsky were appointed to open Commuter seats.

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu.