Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

UMass women’s tennis handles Saint Joseph’s, drops close match with Brown

The Massachusetts women’s tennis team picked up its first win of the spring schedule on Sunday, taking down Saint Joseph’s 6-1 at home. With the victory, UMass improves to 3-1 in dual matches this season.

Rehan Talat/Collegian

The Minutewomen’s win was “just what this team needed to bounce back after (its loss to) Brown,” UMass coach Judy Dixon said.

UMass (3-1) was successful in five of its six singles matches, losing only the No. 1 match to the Hawks (1-2) in a tiebreaker. Sonia Bokhari, Arielle Griffin, Jessica Podlofsky, Chanel Glasper and Jocelyn Providence won each of their matches in straight sets.

In doubles, the Minutewomen won the No. 1 (Yuliana Motyl-Chantal Swiszcz) and No. 2 (Bokhari-Glasper), 8-4 and 8-5, respectively, while narrowly losing the No. 3 (Podlofsky-Griffin) match 8-6.

“We were lucky to win the doubles point versus Saint Joe’s,” Dixon said. “They’re very much improved from last year. They have talented new freshmen … there was a full out effort from all players of UMass.”

Unfortunately for the Minutewomen, Dixon had to pull out senior captain Julia Comas, who has been strong for them all season. Comas, whose foot broke after an initial fracture, will need surgery. She’ll miss the rest of her collegiate career.

“We will need to learn to live with the loss of Julia,” Dixon said. “There’s no longer room for mistakes, everyone has to man up.”

Minutewomen lose to Brown

The Massachusetts women’s tennis team opened its 2013 spring season on Friday, narrowly losing to Brown 4-3.

The Bears, currently ranked No. 67 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s Top 75, is the highest ranked opponent UMass has faced this season.

Brown (1-2) took home the first doubles match, 8-2, but dropped the next two, won by the pairs of Bokhari-Glasper and Podlofsky-Griffin, to the Minutewomen by the same margin.

UMass then lost four of the five singles matches, with its only victory coming from Podlofsky in the No. 4 matchup.

“(We) should’ve won in 2 of the singles so I was disappointed in the outcome,” Dixon said. “We should be more tedious with the teams in the top 100 … (I) had every reason to believe we would win.”

The Minutewomen next go on the road to face Harvard on Feb. 9.

Dixon believed the game will “be tough, yet indicative of how the team will be after (the loss of) Julia.”

Kat Kent can be reached at kkent@student.umass.edu.