Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass women’s tennis handles Saint Joseph’s, drops close match with Brown

The Massachusetts women’s tennis team picked up its first win of the spring schedule on Sunday, taking down Saint Joseph’s 6-1 at home. With the victory, UMass improves to 3-1 in dual matches this season.

Rehan Talat/Collegian

The Minutewomen’s win was “just what this team needed to bounce back after (its loss to) Brown,” UMass coach Judy Dixon said.

UMass (3-1) was successful in five of its six singles matches, losing only the No. 1 match to the Hawks (1-2) in a tiebreaker. Sonia Bokhari, Arielle Griffin, Jessica Podlofsky, Chanel Glasper and Jocelyn Providence won each of their matches in straight sets.

In doubles, the Minutewomen won the No. 1 (Yuliana Motyl-Chantal Swiszcz) and No. 2 (Bokhari-Glasper), 8-4 and 8-5, respectively, while narrowly losing the No. 3 (Podlofsky-Griffin) match 8-6.

“We were lucky to win the doubles point versus Saint Joe’s,” Dixon said. “They’re very much improved from last year. They have talented new freshmen … there was a full out effort from all players of UMass.”

Unfortunately for the Minutewomen, Dixon had to pull out senior captain Julia Comas, who has been strong for them all season. Comas, whose foot broke after an initial fracture, will need surgery. She’ll miss the rest of her collegiate career.

“We will need to learn to live with the loss of Julia,” Dixon said. “There’s no longer room for mistakes, everyone has to man up.”

Minutewomen lose to Brown

The Massachusetts women’s tennis team opened its 2013 spring season on Friday, narrowly losing to Brown 4-3.

The Bears, currently ranked No. 67 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s Top 75, is the highest ranked opponent UMass has faced this season.

Brown (1-2) took home the first doubles match, 8-2, but dropped the next two, won by the pairs of Bokhari-Glasper and Podlofsky-Griffin, to the Minutewomen by the same margin.

UMass then lost four of the five singles matches, with its only victory coming from Podlofsky in the No. 4 matchup.

“(We) should’ve won in 2 of the singles so I was disappointed in the outcome,” Dixon said. “We should be more tedious with the teams in the top 100 … (I) had every reason to believe we would win.”

The Minutewomen next go on the road to face Harvard on Feb. 9.

Dixon believed the game will “be tough, yet indicative of how the team will be after (the loss of) Julia.”

Kat Kent can be reached at kkent@student.umass.edu.