UMass women’s lacrosse takes home seventh straight A-10 championship -

Sunday, May 3, 2015

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin goes undrafted in NFL draft, signs with Indianapolis Colts as undrafted free agent -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse topped by Towson in CAA title game -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMPD investigating burglary in Washington Hall -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Marty Meehan’s appointment as UMass president comes as little surprise -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to A-10 championship with 12-3 win over George Mason -

Friday, May 1, 2015

Not done yet: UMass men’s soccer’s Matt Keys and hockey’s Troy Power still pursuing pro dreams after graduation -

Friday, May 1, 2015

UMass Lowell Chancellor Marty Meehan elected president of UMass system -

Friday, May 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse upsets No. 1 seed Fairfield to advance to CAA championship -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Walk-off home run sinks UMass softball in pitching duel with UConn -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass rowing looks to defend A-10 title Saturday in New Jersey -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass search committee names two finalists for system president -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Senior Columns 2014-2015 -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Krauthammer critiques Obama doctrine -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass Baseball goes into weekend on a major skid -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

‘Mad Men’ remains the best of the best -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse set for rematch with Fairfield in CAA tournament -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Minutemen drop 11th straight -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

‘While We’re Young’ meditates on age, experience, and authenticity -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

The photo man -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass women’s tennis handles Saint Joseph’s, drops close match with Brown

The Massachusetts women’s tennis team picked up its first win of the spring schedule on Sunday, taking down Saint Joseph’s 6-1 at home. With the victory, UMass improves to 3-1 in dual matches this season.

Rehan Talat/Collegian

The Minutewomen’s win was “just what this team needed to bounce back after (its loss to) Brown,” UMass coach Judy Dixon said.

UMass (3-1) was successful in five of its six singles matches, losing only the No. 1 match to the Hawks (1-2) in a tiebreaker. Sonia Bokhari, Arielle Griffin, Jessica Podlofsky, Chanel Glasper and Jocelyn Providence won each of their matches in straight sets.

In doubles, the Minutewomen won the No. 1 (Yuliana Motyl-Chantal Swiszcz) and No. 2 (Bokhari-Glasper), 8-4 and 8-5, respectively, while narrowly losing the No. 3 (Podlofsky-Griffin) match 8-6.

“We were lucky to win the doubles point versus Saint Joe’s,” Dixon said. “They’re very much improved from last year. They have talented new freshmen … there was a full out effort from all players of UMass.”

Unfortunately for the Minutewomen, Dixon had to pull out senior captain Julia Comas, who has been strong for them all season. Comas, whose foot broke after an initial fracture, will need surgery. She’ll miss the rest of her collegiate career.

“We will need to learn to live with the loss of Julia,” Dixon said. “There’s no longer room for mistakes, everyone has to man up.”

Minutewomen lose to Brown

The Massachusetts women’s tennis team opened its 2013 spring season on Friday, narrowly losing to Brown 4-3.

The Bears, currently ranked No. 67 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s Top 75, is the highest ranked opponent UMass has faced this season.

Brown (1-2) took home the first doubles match, 8-2, but dropped the next two, won by the pairs of Bokhari-Glasper and Podlofsky-Griffin, to the Minutewomen by the same margin.

UMass then lost four of the five singles matches, with its only victory coming from Podlofsky in the No. 4 matchup.

“(We) should’ve won in 2 of the singles so I was disappointed in the outcome,” Dixon said. “We should be more tedious with the teams in the top 100 … (I) had every reason to believe we would win.”

The Minutewomen next go on the road to face Harvard on Feb. 9.

Dixon believed the game will “be tough, yet indicative of how the team will be after (the loss of) Julia.”

Kat Kent can be reached at kkent@student.umass.edu.