Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Wishing the wind would wind down?

Courtesy of s0.geograph.org.uk.

New England. Home of the most diverse and completely twisted weather patterns which I, and many others, have experienced. While I can see the beauty in the fall foliage, and I love the return of the sun for longer than just a few hours per day, it’s in between the two that I have a problem with. Yes, we all get excited about the first snow, for the prospect of a school cancellation is once again upon us. I get it. And while nothing beats the feeling of that notification that you don’t have to get out of your PJs, and you can ignore your bed’s usual unspoken rendition of,“ But Baby it’s Cold Outside” when you really can’t stay, enough is enough.

I really shouldn’t blame the snow. I’ve lived in New England for my entire 18 years, which is long enough to know that there’s going to be cold weather, so you just have to bundle up and deal with it. However, what I can never prepare myself for, and what I believe is completely fair game to rant about, is that freaking wind chill. I mean, come on. It’s almost not fair; you wake up in the morning, check the weather and it tells you that it’s going to be 25-30 degrees outside without taking the wind into account. After your prepare yourself and your wardrobe around this 25-30 degree weather, and think you can handle the day, you walk outside and are smacked in the face with the stinging betrayal committed by the weatherman, and of course, the stinging breeze. No one tells you what it feels like when there’s wind. With the illusion of a reasonably cold winter day in mind, getting hit with a force at least 15 degrees colder is just not cool, weather guy. If you’ve been wronged by your weatherman and continue to struggle with trust, here are some ways to prepare yourself. Hope for the best, but expect the worse.

1)  Wear more layers. Although you may begin to sweat underneath all those clothes, you can always take off a jacket or two, but you can’t always run back to your room and get more. Take the risk to reap the reward.

2)  Hats and gloves are a must. No matter how dorky you think you’ll look with them on, get over it. Everyone’s wearing them. If they aren’t, they’re jealous of the people who are.

3)  Save your spring and summer clothes for the appropriate seasons. If you’re complaining about being cold and you’re wearing a mini skirt without leggings underneath, that’s completely on you. Go put some pants on because even I can’t blame winter for that one.

Just remember kids, hypothermia isn’t cool. Even if you don’t think the weather is going to be too bad, expect the worst. Take that wind chill into account and have your future self thank your present self for making what could be your best decision of the day.

Ali Strand can be reached at ahstrand@student.umass.edu.