Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Kevin Roy lifts Northeastern to Beanpot final against BC

Freshman forward Kevin Roy’s first-career hat trick was enough to carry the Northeastern hockey team past Boston University, 3-2, in the Beanpot semifinal at TD Garden on Monday.              

The Huskies (8-13-3, 4-11-3 Hockey East Association)  will take on Boston College in the final for the second time in three years next Monday. 

Roy scored a goal in every period to earn Northeastern’s first hat trick in the Beanpot in 11 years, while goaltender Chris Rawlings made 33 saves to keep the Terriers (13-11-1, 10-7-1 HEA) at bay.        

Roy scored his team-leading 13th goal of the season just three minutes into the game giving the Huskies an early lead. BU countered just four minutes later when  freshmen Danny O’Regan scored his 10th goal of the season to knot the game at one a piece.

The Huskies regained the lead again with just under eight minutes remaining in the second period when Alexx Privitera sent a crisp pass Roy’s way for the finish. Northeastern doubled its lead with 4:38 remaining in the game as Roy completed the hat trick on a shot that clipped inside the right post.

BU cut the lead to one  with 1:11 remaining in the game on a Sahir Gill goal, but it was too little too late. 

BC downs Harvard

Sophomore forward Quinn Smith scored two goals to lead the No. 4 Eagles (16-7-2, 12-6-1 HEA) to a 4-1 win against  Harvard  in the  Beanpot semifinal at TD Garden on Monday.

BC seeks its fourth consecutive Beanpot title when it takes on the Huskies next Monday.

Smith had the first multi-goal game of his short collegiate career, as BC improves to 3-0 when he scores a goal in a game this season. 

Eagles net minder Parker Milner had 19 saves in the victory to move his record  to 16-6-2 for the season.

Crimson (5-15-1) goalie Raphael Girard had his hands full against the overpowering Eagles’ offense, turning aside 42 shots on goal.

Smith gave BC the lead heading into the first intermission when he found a loose puck in front of the goal that he slammed home with just 28.8 seconds remaining.

The Eagles would break away from Harvard in the second period when they scored two more goals less than a minute apart near the end of the second period .

Quinn scored his second goal of the game and his fourth of the season on a backhand goal at 18:18 in the second period. Freshman defenseman Michael Matheson followed that up on  a one-timer  past Girard’s glove on a power play at 19:09.

Harvard  finally beat Milner as  Danny Biega whistled a one-timer into the goal to cut the spread to two goals.

Steven Whitney scored the dagger for the Eagles when he wristed a goal past the glove of Girard at 14:58.

Maine prevails in OT

With less than two minutes remaining in overtime, Maine senior forward Joey Diamond scored his second goal of the game to help the Black Bears pull the upset on No. 13 UMass Lowell  Sunday afternoon at  Alfond Arena.

Diamond opened up the scoring for Maine (8-14-5, 4-9-5 HEA) early when he beat his defender and landed a shot past goalie Doug Carr 9:50 into the first period.

The River Hawks (14-9-2, 8-8-2 HEA) went on to score two goals in a row, the first coming  just 14 seconds after Diamond’s goal. The second  came at the beginning of the second period on a power play goal by Riley Wetmore 7:53 into the period.

The Black Bears countered with the equalizer on a power play by freshman Ryan Lomberg for his fifth goal of the season. The River Hawks came right back with a goal by Ryan McGrath at 16:08 in the second period.

Less than a minute later it was Diamond who found  Steve Swavely for the goal that  sent the two teams into overtime after a scoreless third period.

Diamond  won it  for Maine after stealing the puck from a UML defender, leaving him with a game-winning breakaway score.

The River Hawks outshot Maine 38-29 for the game.

Chris Corso can be reached at ccorso@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Corso.

You must be logged in to post a comment.