BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Kevin Roy lifts Northeastern to Beanpot final against BC

Freshman forward Kevin Roy’s first-career hat trick was enough to carry the Northeastern hockey team past Boston University, 3-2, in the Beanpot semifinal at TD Garden on Monday.              

The Huskies (8-13-3, 4-11-3 Hockey East Association)  will take on Boston College in the final for the second time in three years next Monday. 

Roy scored a goal in every period to earn Northeastern’s first hat trick in the Beanpot in 11 years, while goaltender Chris Rawlings made 33 saves to keep the Terriers (13-11-1, 10-7-1 HEA) at bay.        

Roy scored his team-leading 13th goal of the season just three minutes into the game giving the Huskies an early lead. BU countered just four minutes later when  freshmen Danny O’Regan scored his 10th goal of the season to knot the game at one a piece.

The Huskies regained the lead again with just under eight minutes remaining in the second period when Alexx Privitera sent a crisp pass Roy’s way for the finish. Northeastern doubled its lead with 4:38 remaining in the game as Roy completed the hat trick on a shot that clipped inside the right post.

BU cut the lead to one  with 1:11 remaining in the game on a Sahir Gill goal, but it was too little too late. 

BC downs Harvard

Sophomore forward Quinn Smith scored two goals to lead the No. 4 Eagles (16-7-2, 12-6-1 HEA) to a 4-1 win against  Harvard  in the  Beanpot semifinal at TD Garden on Monday.

BC seeks its fourth consecutive Beanpot title when it takes on the Huskies next Monday.

Smith had the first multi-goal game of his short collegiate career, as BC improves to 3-0 when he scores a goal in a game this season. 

Eagles net minder Parker Milner had 19 saves in the victory to move his record  to 16-6-2 for the season.

Crimson (5-15-1) goalie Raphael Girard had his hands full against the overpowering Eagles’ offense, turning aside 42 shots on goal.

Smith gave BC the lead heading into the first intermission when he found a loose puck in front of the goal that he slammed home with just 28.8 seconds remaining.

The Eagles would break away from Harvard in the second period when they scored two more goals less than a minute apart near the end of the second period .

Quinn scored his second goal of the game and his fourth of the season on a backhand goal at 18:18 in the second period. Freshman defenseman Michael Matheson followed that up on  a one-timer  past Girard’s glove on a power play at 19:09.

Harvard  finally beat Milner as  Danny Biega whistled a one-timer into the goal to cut the spread to two goals.

Steven Whitney scored the dagger for the Eagles when he wristed a goal past the glove of Girard at 14:58.

Maine prevails in OT

With less than two minutes remaining in overtime, Maine senior forward Joey Diamond scored his second goal of the game to help the Black Bears pull the upset on No. 13 UMass Lowell  Sunday afternoon at  Alfond Arena.

Diamond opened up the scoring for Maine (8-14-5, 4-9-5 HEA) early when he beat his defender and landed a shot past goalie Doug Carr 9:50 into the first period.

The River Hawks (14-9-2, 8-8-2 HEA) went on to score two goals in a row, the first coming  just 14 seconds after Diamond’s goal. The second  came at the beginning of the second period on a power play goal by Riley Wetmore 7:53 into the period.

The Black Bears countered with the equalizer on a power play by freshman Ryan Lomberg for his fifth goal of the season. The River Hawks came right back with a goal by Ryan McGrath at 16:08 in the second period.

Less than a minute later it was Diamond who found  Steve Swavely for the goal that  sent the two teams into overtime after a scoreless third period.

Diamond  won it  for Maine after stealing the puck from a UML defender, leaving him with a game-winning breakaway score.

The River Hawks outshot Maine 38-29 for the game.

Chris Corso can be reached at ccorso@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Corso.