Cassidy Babin’s season-high nine saves secures 0-0 double overtime tie for UMass women’s soccer -

Arrest warrant issued for Southpoint shooter -

Men’s soccer unbeaten streak ends against URI -

The Hawkshot: Sarah Hawkshaw, her unusual shot and more -

Hockey Special Issue 2016 -

Question 2 about giving 33K kids a choice in education -

Apple crop reduced in wake of drought -

UMass political RSOs provide the tools necessary to vote in this year’s election -

Students thrilled to vote yes on ballot Question 3 and 4 -

UMass football readies for its third and final SEC opponent, taking on South Carolina Saturday -

UMass hockey’s goalie threesome continues to battle for starting duties -

UMass hockey enters the 2016-17 season with a full slate of major tournaments and classics -

UMass hockey enters 2016-17 season with plenty of question marks -

UMass women’s soccer welcomes overtimes as if it were a normal part of the game -

UMass hockey’s freshmen class is being counted on to produce instantly for the Minutemen -

Senior captain Steven Iacobellis reflects on his journey through hockey in final season at UMass -

UMass hockey coach Greg Carvel ready to lead Minutemen in right direction -

The race to space -

Rape culture on campus: to UMass, with severe concern -

Monday shots at McMurphy’s: an unofficial review -

UMass men’s hoops sails past URI

Alex Aritan/Collegian

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team has finally shown that it’s capable of dominating an inferior team.

UMass (15-6, 5-3 Atlantic 10) rode a 27-point, 8-assist clinic by Chaz Williams to rout Rhode Island, 81-53, Wednesday night in front of 4,124 at the Mullins Center.

The 28-point win marks the Minutemen’s largest margin of victory this season and their most one-sided win over the Rams (6-15, 1-7 A-10) since Jan. 30, 2001 when they crushed URI, 78-46.

The lopsided victory is fresh off back-to-back one-point affairs for UMass against Charlotte and La Salle. Freddie Riley (eight points) said that the team stressed coming out and putting a team away so they could get some rest, especially with a roster withered by the injuries of Jesse Morgan and Javorn Farrell, and an academically ineligible Izzy Freeman.

“I told everybody that we needed to stop playing so many close games so we can get some rest,” Riley said. “We don’t have a lot of guys, so we need to get as much rest as we can.”

Williams’ 27 points was a season-high, as he finished 9-of-14 from the field, 3-for-5 from 3-point land and a perfect 6-for-6 from the charity stripe.

Williams’ presence was felt all over the floor. When he wasn’t knocking down shots, he was leading the fast break — an area that the Minutemen dominated, 12-0, over the Rams.

But if you ask Williams, he isn’t satisfied with his performance.

“I felt like today was an all-around OK game for me,” he said. “I still feel like I can play better.”

Holding a 41-31 lead at halftime, UMass broke out of its typical lack-luster spells coming out of the break with a 10-0 burst to open up a 51-31 advantage. Baskets by Freddie Riley and Terrell Vinson, followed by a pair of triples by Williams were what put URI away.

The Rams followed with a 7-0 spurt to cut the deficit to 13, tempting UMass coach Derek Kellogg to call a timeout. Instead, he waited until after Terrell Vinson buried an open three in front of the bench with 14 minutes, two seconds left in the second half to push the lead back to 16 and stem the tide.

“That was kind of our punch back after they hit us a few times,” Kellogg said.

Vinson finished with 13 points and five rebounds, while Cady Lalanne chipped in with 11 points on 4-of-5 shooting to go along with six boards. Maxie Esho added 10 points off the bench.

Xavier Munford was a one-man show for URI in an otherwise poor shooting performance. Munford dropped 22 points, but only managed seven in the second half on 2-of-10 shooting in the frame. The Rams shot 21.4 percent in the second half after a 46.2 percent pace in the opening 20 minutes.

The Minutemen now enter a grueling stretch in conference play, starting with a test against preseason A-10 favorite Saint Joseph’s on Saturday afternoon. The game will be broadcasted nationally on ESPN2 for a 2 p.m. tip-off.

Following the Hawks, UMass travels to Virginia Commonwealth (tied for first in the A-10) on Feb. 14 and hosts Temple on Feb. 16.

When speaking after the game, Kellogg lobbied for the fans to come out and support the team on Saturday, even with the  snowstorm that is expected to hit the Amherst area this weekend.

“Everybody said they want us to play a first class schedule. We’ve done that, and now I think we need the fans to make sure they come out, especially the students,” Kellogg said. “A two o’clock game on Saturday against St. Joe’s on national television — put your snow boots on, put your skis on and come on down. I think it’s a great opportunity for them to come watch great basketball.”

Stephen Sellner can be reached at and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.

One Response to “UMass men’s hoops sails past URI”
  1. tom massetti says:

Nice article Steve. How about writing an article about the lack of student support for this team! It’s really a disgrace that we can’t get more students to the games! What apathy your fellow students are showing. Even with free T’s they don’t come out. Then they complain about taking football taken away to Gillette. As an alum I’m very disgusted!