Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State and quarterback Christian Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Irish coffee recipe -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

To fight ISIS, US must understand them, not chalk up actions to pure evil -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass tennis is reloading, not rebuilding in 2014 -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Fast food workers need more than $7.25 to sustain basic living -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass men’s hoops sails past URI

Alex Aritan/Collegian

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team has finally shown that it’s capable of dominating an inferior team.

UMass (15-6, 5-3 Atlantic 10) rode a 27-point, 8-assist clinic by Chaz Williams to rout Rhode Island, 81-53, Wednesday night in front of 4,124 at the Mullins Center.

The 28-point win marks the Minutemen’s largest margin of victory this season and their most one-sided win over the Rams (6-15, 1-7 A-10) since Jan. 30, 2001 when they crushed URI, 78-46.

The lopsided victory is fresh off back-to-back one-point affairs for UMass against Charlotte and La Salle. Freddie Riley (eight points) said that the team stressed coming out and putting a team away so they could get some rest, especially with a roster withered by the injuries of Jesse Morgan and Javorn Farrell, and an academically ineligible Izzy Freeman.

“I told everybody that we needed to stop playing so many close games so we can get some rest,” Riley said. “We don’t have a lot of guys, so we need to get as much rest as we can.”

Williams’ 27 points was a season-high, as he finished 9-of-14 from the field, 3-for-5 from 3-point land and a perfect 6-for-6 from the charity stripe.

Williams’ presence was felt all over the floor. When he wasn’t knocking down shots, he was leading the fast break — an area that the Minutemen dominated, 12-0, over the Rams.

But if you ask Williams, he isn’t satisfied with his performance.

“I felt like today was an all-around OK game for me,” he said. “I still feel like I can play better.”

Holding a 41-31 lead at halftime, UMass broke out of its typical lack-luster spells coming out of the break with a 10-0 burst to open up a 51-31 advantage. Baskets by Freddie Riley and Terrell Vinson, followed by a pair of triples by Williams were what put URI away.

The Rams followed with a 7-0 spurt to cut the deficit to 13, tempting UMass coach Derek Kellogg to call a timeout. Instead, he waited until after Terrell Vinson buried an open three in front of the bench with 14 minutes, two seconds left in the second half to push the lead back to 16 and stem the tide.

“That was kind of our punch back after they hit us a few times,” Kellogg said.

Vinson finished with 13 points and five rebounds, while Cady Lalanne chipped in with 11 points on 4-of-5 shooting to go along with six boards. Maxie Esho added 10 points off the bench.

Xavier Munford was a one-man show for URI in an otherwise poor shooting performance. Munford dropped 22 points, but only managed seven in the second half on 2-of-10 shooting in the frame. The Rams shot 21.4 percent in the second half after a 46.2 percent pace in the opening 20 minutes.

The Minutemen now enter a grueling stretch in conference play, starting with a test against preseason A-10 favorite Saint Joseph’s on Saturday afternoon. The game will be broadcasted nationally on ESPN2 for a 2 p.m. tip-off.

Following the Hawks, UMass travels to Virginia Commonwealth (tied for first in the A-10) on Feb. 14 and hosts Temple on Feb. 16.

When speaking after the game, Kellogg lobbied for the fans to come out and support the team on Saturday, even with the  snowstorm that is expected to hit the Amherst area this weekend.

“Everybody said they want us to play a first class schedule. We’ve done that, and now I think we need the fans to make sure they come out, especially the students,” Kellogg said. “A two o’clock game on Saturday against St. Joe’s on national television — put your snow boots on, put your skis on and come on down. I think it’s a great opportunity for them to come watch great basketball.”

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.

One Response to “UMass men’s hoops sails past URI”
  1. tom massetti says:

Nice article Steve. How about writing an article about the lack of student support for this team! It’s really a disgrace that we can’t get more students to the games! What apathy your fellow students are showing. Even with free T’s they don’t come out. Then they complain about taking football taken away to Gillette. As an alum I’m very disgusted!