Recovery fund established for former UMass student Chloe Rombach -

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Minutemen search for answers following blowout loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

UMass dominated in 85-65 loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

The End of 30 Rock

Flickr/George Arriola

It’s Thursday night and I’ve gone to sit down and watch the NBC line up of shows that includes all my favorites. Tonight however, it felt empty (even with the long-awaited return of Community). 30 Rock has officially ended and I’m not quite sure what to do with myself.

This incredible show has been on for 7 years and yet it still feels like it wasn’t long enough. I guess the best shows do leave us feeling that way though. Otherwise they overstay their welcome making you wish the show had ended with its integrity intact, much in the same way of How I Met Your Mother or The Office. I know Tina Fey, that wonderful woman, needed the show to end and was quite run down with balancing motherhood, writing, acting, and being her awesome self, so I do my best to understand that it was time. I also know the other actors, Alec Baldwin in particular, fought so hard for the show to stay. Knowing that makes me love and miss it even more. How could you not appreciate a show that has actors who completely believe in what they are doing?

It makes me sad to know this show never did as well as it should have, and never receive the attention it deserved. It was an intelligent and hilarious program that people found easier to ignore rather than try to keep up with the constant stream of jokes. I can understand that for some days, when work has been tough and your brain is fried, you just want to plop down in front of the TV and watch something mindless. That doesn’t mean you need to miss out on the show entirely.

Tina Fey is a genius and my idol (seriously, I had to control all my ramblings of how wonderful she is). She writes witty material and has a unique voice for this generation. Hell, she has a unique voice for any generation. Her character of Liz Lemon has been said to be one of the characters that has brought love and pride to the “quirky” girl. It’s not the “adorable quirky” that Zooey Deschanel has given rise to though. She writes the real, unflattering, but always amusing, “quirky” that so many girls can identify with without having to change what is weird about them into something cute. And if you ever read her interviews you’ll notice it’s that style she has that makes her such a great role model.

So if you haven’t seen 30 Rock yet, it’s not too late to jump on the Tina Fey bandwagon. It’s all on Netflix so you can spend hours watching episode after episode and forget an outside world exists (isn’t that the best way to watch TV?). Trust me, it’s worth it.

Kate can be reached at kcasler@student.umass.edu.