Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The End of 30 Rock

Flickr/George Arriola

It’s Thursday night and I’ve gone to sit down and watch the NBC line up of shows that includes all my favorites. Tonight however, it felt empty (even with the long-awaited return of Community). 30 Rock has officially ended and I’m not quite sure what to do with myself.

This incredible show has been on for 7 years and yet it still feels like it wasn’t long enough. I guess the best shows do leave us feeling that way though. Otherwise they overstay their welcome making you wish the show had ended with its integrity intact, much in the same way of How I Met Your Mother or The Office. I know Tina Fey, that wonderful woman, needed the show to end and was quite run down with balancing motherhood, writing, acting, and being her awesome self, so I do my best to understand that it was time. I also know the other actors, Alec Baldwin in particular, fought so hard for the show to stay. Knowing that makes me love and miss it even more. How could you not appreciate a show that has actors who completely believe in what they are doing?

It makes me sad to know this show never did as well as it should have, and never receive the attention it deserved. It was an intelligent and hilarious program that people found easier to ignore rather than try to keep up with the constant stream of jokes. I can understand that for some days, when work has been tough and your brain is fried, you just want to plop down in front of the TV and watch something mindless. That doesn’t mean you need to miss out on the show entirely.

Tina Fey is a genius and my idol (seriously, I had to control all my ramblings of how wonderful she is). She writes witty material and has a unique voice for this generation. Hell, she has a unique voice for any generation. Her character of Liz Lemon has been said to be one of the characters that has brought love and pride to the “quirky” girl. It’s not the “adorable quirky” that Zooey Deschanel has given rise to though. She writes the real, unflattering, but always amusing, “quirky” that so many girls can identify with without having to change what is weird about them into something cute. And if you ever read her interviews you’ll notice it’s that style she has that makes her such a great role model.

So if you haven’t seen 30 Rock yet, it’s not too late to jump on the Tina Fey bandwagon. It’s all on Netflix so you can spend hours watching episode after episode and forget an outside world exists (isn’t that the best way to watch TV?). Trust me, it’s worth it.

Kate can be reached at kcasler@student.umass.edu.