UMass looks ahead to 2015, for better or for worse -

Friday, November 28, 2014

UMass football falls 41-21 in season finale against Buffalo -

Friday, November 28, 2014

Minutemen defense comes up short in 41-21 loss to Buffalo -

Friday, November 28, 2014

UMass formally cuts ties with alumnus Bill Cosby -

Friday, November 28, 2014

Stanley Andre reflects on his career as Senior Day approaches -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass opens 2013 season against Army at Garber Field

Cade Belisle/Collegian

Expect there to be first-game jitters for the No. 13 Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team when it takes the field for a new season.

And that’s OK, according to UMass coach Greg Cannella.

“There should be. I mean if you’re not nervous then you don’t care,” Cannella said. “We just hope that guys can get past that. You don’t want your team to be tentative, especially in the first five minutes of the game like this or any game honestly.

“It’s OK to be nervous, there’s nothing wrong with it,” he said. “That means you’re getting yourself ready to play in my opinion.”

The Minutemen will welcome Army to Garber Field on Sunday for a noon start time. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday, but it was postponed due to impending weather.

The last time the Minutemen played at Garber Field, they lost to Colgate, 13-11, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

But this is a new year and senior attacker Kyle Smith is ready to play important games again.

“Coach (Cannella) the last week and a half now has really been all over us and it’s a good thing, we need it,” Smith said. “I think we are finally ready to keep score for a game. It should be good.

“We’re all pretty excited for Army,” he said, “I mean I can’t wait for (Sunday).”

But Cannella said UMass is still a “work in progress” and there are still multiple roster spots that must be filled before Sunday’s game.

One of those spots is starting goalkeeper. The Minutemen lost the reliable Tim McCormack to graduation last year and are left with two options, junior Reed Goodhue or redshirt freshman Zachary Oliveri.

Oliveri got the nod in UMass’ last scrimmage against Siena and when asked if that makes Oliveri the frontrunner for starting goalie, Cannella said, “Yeah you can assume that, yeah sure.”

Goalie isn’t the only question mark, however. The Minutemen lost several talented offensive players from last season including Greg Rushing, Art Kell and Anthony Biscardi to name a few.

“We continue to need to establish certain spots on our team; Maybe fourth defenseman, maybe fourth attackman, sixth, seventh and eighth midfielders,” Cannella said. “Typically we play two offensive lines and you need guys who are going to be able to step up if somebody falters there or somebody gets injured.”

As for the Black Knights, they are led by Garrett Thul and John Glesener. Thul lead Army with 39 goals and 43 points last season and Glesener led the team in assists (17) and was second in points (33).

“They’ve got two players in Thul and Glesener that are monsters,” Cannella said, “that are just stud athletes and stud lacrosse players.”

The Black Knights defense this year will be lead by senior Brendan Buckley, who had 23 groundballs and 30 caused turnovers last season.

“Defensively (they’re) very aggressive in the past, but a disciplined group that we’ve had some hard fought battles with,” Cannella said.

Army will have to make a decision on who its starting goalie will be as well after Zach Palmieri graduated last year. Sam Somers played the most minutes in relief of Palmieri last season with a total of 36:51 in net. In the four games that he saw action, Somers had a goal-against average of 8.14 and a .444 save percentage.

The two teams are no strangers to each other as UMass has opened the past two years with the Black Knights. The Minutemen began their undefeated regular season last year with a 12-9 victory over Army in West Point, N.Y. The two teams opened the 2011 season in Amherst, a game that UMass won 8-5.

Because of the familiarity, Cannella is expecting a physical game on Sunday.

“They’re very well coached,” Cannella said. “They’re always tough, always physical. … We’ve been scrimmaging them probably the last six or seven years and just playing them the last two years. This will be our third game with them since the mid 90’s when we used to play them. It will be a physical, they’ll bring some physicality, and they’ll bring some emotion as well.”

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Cam_McDonough.