UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

UMass opens 2013 season against Army at Garber Field

Cade Belisle/Collegian

Expect there to be first-game jitters for the No. 13 Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team when it takes the field for a new season.

And that’s OK, according to UMass coach Greg Cannella.

“There should be. I mean if you’re not nervous then you don’t care,” Cannella said. “We just hope that guys can get past that. You don’t want your team to be tentative, especially in the first five minutes of the game like this or any game honestly.

“It’s OK to be nervous, there’s nothing wrong with it,” he said. “That means you’re getting yourself ready to play in my opinion.”

The Minutemen will welcome Army to Garber Field on Sunday for a noon start time. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday, but it was postponed due to impending weather.

The last time the Minutemen played at Garber Field, they lost to Colgate, 13-11, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

But this is a new year and senior attacker Kyle Smith is ready to play important games again.

“Coach (Cannella) the last week and a half now has really been all over us and it’s a good thing, we need it,” Smith said. “I think we are finally ready to keep score for a game. It should be good.

“We’re all pretty excited for Army,” he said, “I mean I can’t wait for (Sunday).”

But Cannella said UMass is still a “work in progress” and there are still multiple roster spots that must be filled before Sunday’s game.

One of those spots is starting goalkeeper. The Minutemen lost the reliable Tim McCormack to graduation last year and are left with two options, junior Reed Goodhue or redshirt freshman Zachary Oliveri.

Oliveri got the nod in UMass’ last scrimmage against Siena and when asked if that makes Oliveri the frontrunner for starting goalie, Cannella said, “Yeah you can assume that, yeah sure.”

Goalie isn’t the only question mark, however. The Minutemen lost several talented offensive players from last season including Greg Rushing, Art Kell and Anthony Biscardi to name a few.

“We continue to need to establish certain spots on our team; Maybe fourth defenseman, maybe fourth attackman, sixth, seventh and eighth midfielders,” Cannella said. “Typically we play two offensive lines and you need guys who are going to be able to step up if somebody falters there or somebody gets injured.”

As for the Black Knights, they are led by Garrett Thul and John Glesener. Thul lead Army with 39 goals and 43 points last season and Glesener led the team in assists (17) and was second in points (33).

“They’ve got two players in Thul and Glesener that are monsters,” Cannella said, “that are just stud athletes and stud lacrosse players.”

The Black Knights defense this year will be lead by senior Brendan Buckley, who had 23 groundballs and 30 caused turnovers last season.

“Defensively (they’re) very aggressive in the past, but a disciplined group that we’ve had some hard fought battles with,” Cannella said.

Army will have to make a decision on who its starting goalie will be as well after Zach Palmieri graduated last year. Sam Somers played the most minutes in relief of Palmieri last season with a total of 36:51 in net. In the four games that he saw action, Somers had a goal-against average of 8.14 and a .444 save percentage.

The two teams are no strangers to each other as UMass has opened the past two years with the Black Knights. The Minutemen began their undefeated regular season last year with a 12-9 victory over Army in West Point, N.Y. The two teams opened the 2011 season in Amherst, a game that UMass won 8-5.

Because of the familiarity, Cannella is expecting a physical game on Sunday.

“They’re very well coached,” Cannella said. “They’re always tough, always physical. … We’ve been scrimmaging them probably the last six or seven years and just playing them the last two years. This will be our third game with them since the mid 90’s when we used to play them. It will be a physical, they’ll bring some physicality, and they’ll bring some emotion as well.”

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Cam_McDonough.