UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Quiet beauty roars in ‘Lion’ -

UMass to close Friday at noon due to expected snowstorm

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts announced last night that campus would cease operations today at noon in anticipation of a coming snowstorm.

The campus is expected to reopen tomorrow at noon.

“We felt it was important to give people a plan for tomorrow based on what we knew this evening so that they could make preparations for tomorrow to go to class,” said UMass spokesperson Ed Blaguszewski.

Chief Meteorologist Ed Carroll of WGGB-TV abc40 said that while light snow is expected this morning, the majority of the snowfall will occur tonight and early tomorrow. He predicted the total accumulation to be between 12 and 18 inches of snow.

Blaguszewski stressed emergency preparations for students, particularly for those living in off-campus housing.

“If you’re living off campus, make sure you’re prepared,” he said. “Make sure you have food, water supplies, extra batteries, just in case the power goes out. Monitor the bus schedules to see when the buses are running on the PVTA site.”

Blaguszewski said students living on campus should stay out of the way of snowplows trying to clear walkways and should in general keep an eye out and stay safe.

The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) asked motorists to stay off of the roads during the storm to allow plows to clear the roads in a bulletin released yesterday afternoon. MEMA also warned that visibility would be near zero throughout this afternoon into tomorrow.

MEMA also gave emergency preparedness tips in the bulletin, such as monitoring the storm to obtain the most up-to-date information and following directions given by public officials.

Other advised preparations include checking batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, as well as preparing an emergency kit filled with flashlights, extra batteries, a portable radio, bottled water, non-perishable food and a first aid kit.

The storm has been given the name “Nemo” by some. Carroll said that naming winter storms comes from The Weather Channel trying to increase ratings on their channel.

The Weather Channel website said that the naming of winter storms, which began in the 2012-2013 season, is meant to help raise awareness and communication for potentially “disruptive, impactful winter storms.”

Hampshire College announced last night it would close all operations today. Similarly, Mount Holyoke College will be closed today until noon tomorrow. Amherst College and Smith College hadn’t announced any plans of closure as of last night.

UMass said in an email to students that officials will be monitoring the storm overnight and an update would be provided at 6 a.m. today.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at phoff@student.umass.edu.