Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

UMass to close Friday at noon due to expected snowstorm

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts announced last night that campus would cease operations today at noon in anticipation of a coming snowstorm.

The campus is expected to reopen tomorrow at noon.

“We felt it was important to give people a plan for tomorrow based on what we knew this evening so that they could make preparations for tomorrow to go to class,” said UMass spokesperson Ed Blaguszewski.

Chief Meteorologist Ed Carroll of WGGB-TV abc40 said that while light snow is expected this morning, the majority of the snowfall will occur tonight and early tomorrow. He predicted the total accumulation to be between 12 and 18 inches of snow.

Blaguszewski stressed emergency preparations for students, particularly for those living in off-campus housing.

“If you’re living off campus, make sure you’re prepared,” he said. “Make sure you have food, water supplies, extra batteries, just in case the power goes out. Monitor the bus schedules to see when the buses are running on the PVTA site.”

Blaguszewski said students living on campus should stay out of the way of snowplows trying to clear walkways and should in general keep an eye out and stay safe.

The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) asked motorists to stay off of the roads during the storm to allow plows to clear the roads in a bulletin released yesterday afternoon. MEMA also warned that visibility would be near zero throughout this afternoon into tomorrow.

MEMA also gave emergency preparedness tips in the bulletin, such as monitoring the storm to obtain the most up-to-date information and following directions given by public officials.

Other advised preparations include checking batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, as well as preparing an emergency kit filled with flashlights, extra batteries, a portable radio, bottled water, non-perishable food and a first aid kit.

The storm has been given the name “Nemo” by some. Carroll said that naming winter storms comes from The Weather Channel trying to increase ratings on their channel.

The Weather Channel website said that the naming of winter storms, which began in the 2012-2013 season, is meant to help raise awareness and communication for potentially “disruptive, impactful winter storms.”

Hampshire College announced last night it would close all operations today. Similarly, Mount Holyoke College will be closed today until noon tomorrow. Amherst College and Smith College hadn’t announced any plans of closure as of last night.

UMass said in an email to students that officials will be monitoring the storm overnight and an update would be provided at 6 a.m. today.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at phoff@student.umass.edu.