UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

Amherst Crime Log shows multiple car accidents

The Amherst Police Department responded to a number of snow-related issues this weekend, despite Gov. Deval Patrick’s order for Massachusetts citizens to stay off the roads.

APD Detective Jamie Reardon reported no serious incidents.

“Luckily a lot of people used common sense and heeded the governor’s warning to stay off the road, making cleanup easier,” Reardon said.

Beginning early Friday morning, the APD responded to a request to assist Hampshire College Security in dealing with reports of larceny at a Hampshire College Pioneer Valley Transit Authority bus stop. A 27-year-old suspect reportedly stole a laptop from a female victim. The suspect claimed to be newly homeless and was taken into custody.

Later that evening at 4:06 p.m., officers responded to a car accident occurring at 316 West Pomeroy Lane. The driver of the car in question reported losing control of his vehicle after coming to a rise on a hill and hitting a patch of snow. The car reportedly struck a tree, mailbox and garden stone causing both front airbags in the vehicle to deploy. No one was reported injured in the crash and compensation for destruction of property is to be settled between the property owner and driver.

The APD also went to the High Horse, a bar in downtown Amherst, which remained open despite the storm. After the APD suggested the bar close, the owners complied and more than 50 patrons exited the bar onto Main Street early Saturday morning.

Several of the patrons were observed making “snow angels” in the intersection between Amity and Main Street. Police eventually instructed the patrons to leave the roadway and the group dispersed.

Saturday brought a number of minor car accidents, with three small crashes reported to the APD, including one that occurred within the department’s own lot. None of the crashes were serious and no injuries were reported.

Three minor accidents were also reported on Sunday and, once again, APD was deployed and no serious injuries or damages were recorded.

The heavy snow of the weekend brought an increased danger of driving for residents, but with the low number of serious accidents reported, Reardon described the weekend as “fortunate, considering the weather.”

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu.