Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Amherst Crime Log shows multiple car accidents

The Amherst Police Department responded to a number of snow-related issues this weekend, despite Gov. Deval Patrick’s order for Massachusetts citizens to stay off the roads.

APD Detective Jamie Reardon reported no serious incidents.

“Luckily a lot of people used common sense and heeded the governor’s warning to stay off the road, making cleanup easier,” Reardon said.

Beginning early Friday morning, the APD responded to a request to assist Hampshire College Security in dealing with reports of larceny at a Hampshire College Pioneer Valley Transit Authority bus stop. A 27-year-old suspect reportedly stole a laptop from a female victim. The suspect claimed to be newly homeless and was taken into custody.

Later that evening at 4:06 p.m., officers responded to a car accident occurring at 316 West Pomeroy Lane. The driver of the car in question reported losing control of his vehicle after coming to a rise on a hill and hitting a patch of snow. The car reportedly struck a tree, mailbox and garden stone causing both front airbags in the vehicle to deploy. No one was reported injured in the crash and compensation for destruction of property is to be settled between the property owner and driver.

The APD also went to the High Horse, a bar in downtown Amherst, which remained open despite the storm. After the APD suggested the bar close, the owners complied and more than 50 patrons exited the bar onto Main Street early Saturday morning.

Several of the patrons were observed making “snow angels” in the intersection between Amity and Main Street. Police eventually instructed the patrons to leave the roadway and the group dispersed.

Saturday brought a number of minor car accidents, with three small crashes reported to the APD, including one that occurred within the department’s own lot. None of the crashes were serious and no injuries were reported.

Three minor accidents were also reported on Sunday and, once again, APD was deployed and no serious injuries or damages were recorded.

The heavy snow of the weekend brought an increased danger of driving for residents, but with the low number of serious accidents reported, Reardon described the weekend as “fortunate, considering the weather.”

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu.