UMass baseball Beanpot title defense to take place at Fenway

Jeff Bernstein/Collegian File Photo

If the Massachusetts baseball team is to defend its 2012 Baseball Beanpot title, it’ll do it within the confines of one of the most cherished professional stadiums in American history – Fenway Park.

The 2013 Baseball Beanpot Championship is scheduled to take place at Fenway Park on April 29 and will feature a doubleheader of games played by UMass, Boston College, Northeastern and Harvard, according to a Boston Red Sox press release Monday.

The Minutemen will first face off with the Eagles at Earl Lorden Field in Amherst on April 10 for the right to compete in the title game in Boston, while the Huskies will play host to the Crimson the same day to determine the other Beanpot Championship participant.

UMass is 17-16 all-time in Beanpot play and, after its 2012 victory, has captured the title six times since its first invitation to the annual tournament in 1996.

A consolation game pitting the losers of the two preliminary matchups will lead off the event at 2 p.m. with the championship game set to be played at 5 p.m. General admission tickets for the event are priced at $10 and can be purchased through the Red Sox official website or by phone at (877) REDSOX-9.

Daniel Malone can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Daniel_Malone.