UMass looks ahead to 2015, for better or for worse -

Friday, November 28, 2014

UMass football falls 41-21 in season finale against Buffalo -

Friday, November 28, 2014

Minutemen defense comes up short in 41-21 loss to Buffalo -

Friday, November 28, 2014

UMass formally cuts ties with alumnus Bill Cosby -

Friday, November 28, 2014

Stanley Andre reflects on his career as Senior Day approaches -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass fails to stop Saint Louis Thursday, skid stretches to 7

The Massachusetts women’s basketball team had its losing streak stretched to seven games Thursday night, falling at Saint Louis, 59-50, during a nationally televised affair aired on CBS Sports Network.

Senior center Jasmine Watson headlined the Minutewomen’s effort, leading the squad with 20 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks, while freshman guard Rashida Timbilla finished with eight points.

Despite the loss, Watson said this game re-energized her confidence and fighting spirit.

“I definitely needed this game to get my confidence to where it used to be,” Watson said. “When my confidence is down, I still talk to my teammates, but it’s not the same. I feel like for me to contribute to the team, I need to pick it up.”

UMass (3-20, 1-7 Atlantic 10 Conference) jumped out to a 10-1 run, but poor shooting allowed the Billikens (10-12, 4-3 A-10) back into the game and closed the deficit to 24-20 at halftime. Seven minutes, 49 seconds into the second half, Saint Louis had the lead for good.

A Jasmine Harris triple got to within three with two minutes left, but the Billikens scored seven of the final eight points to hold off the Minutewomen.

UMass coach Sharon Dawley said her team’s effort was there, but a lack of execution at crucial moments came back to haunt them in the end.

“I think (offensive is) exactly how we played the whole game, it’s just that we went through so many minutes of not being able to score,” Dawley said. “I feel like it was 10-1 forever, neither team could score. If we did a better job shooting the basketball, we could’ve had a substantial lead which would’ve given us a lot of confidence heading into halftime.”

With the Minutewomen leading by four at the break, SLU junior forward Lorreal Jones and senior guard Jacy Bradley, who combined for 25 points on the night, championed an effort that outscored UMass, 39-26, after halftime.

Although play came down to a three-point gap near the end of the second frame, Dawley said a factor in the loss was not enough team scoring.

“I felt like if (Watson) got a look, we looked good on offense and if (Jasmine) didn’t, we didn’t look good on offense because there was really no one else chipping in,” Dawley said. “We had 50 points, she had 20, so there’s not a lot going on around her right now.”

Watson sees lack of consistency and tempo as prevalent aspects that contributed to an unfavorable outcome.

“I think it’s a problem of ours,” she said. “We’re just working on being consistent and upbeat the whole game. It really felt like we did that, we came out ready to play.”

Watson, motivated by the sting of a fresh loss, said the Minutewomen are on the same page moving forward with the rest of the season.

“We’re going to be the aggressors for the whole 40 minutes,” Watson said. “We’ve come to a team decision that this next game, this (lackluster play) cannot happen again.”

Sunday’s game against Rhode Island was postponed due to travel concerns in the aftermath of the weekend’s snowstorm.

Peter Cappiello can be reached at pcappiel@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Cappiello