Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SGA election reforms address some, but not all concerns -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Emily O’Neil hopes to increase diversity and improve Title IX training as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The next journalist under fire -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Letter: A call for action and cooperation -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Student trustee candidate Kabir Thatte looks to create his own path as a UMass legacy student within SGA -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Feb. 27 to Sunday, March 1, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kelly, Gay to focus on transparency, accessibility and sexual assault training -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Easy breathing tricks to de-stress during midterms -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lack of transparency from Elections Commission endangers spring ballot -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Once Upon a Time Recap: Tiny

It has been quite some time since I last wrote an OUAT recap. Life just gets in the way, you know? Well I’m back and with this week’s recap of  “Tiny” which was entertaining and presented some interesting questions for the future of our favorite fairy tale characters. Let’s get into it…

Storybrooke

In Storybrooke this week we saw the return of Anton the Giant who’s been captive on Hooks boat, in a shrunken form, this whole time. I started to wonder how long he’d been captive on that boat but thinking about the timeline in this show hurts my brain so I just let it go. Anton basically has a freak out when they free him because he thinks David (which turns out to be his real fairytale name AND curse name) is his lothario brother James.

With the return of Anton was the return of the conniving version of Regina. At first I thought she was Cora in disguise because of how much of an instigator she was this week. She runs into Anton and gives him a mushroom that makes him (albeit, temporarily) a giant again.

Anton is soon terrorizing the town until he falls through a sinkhole and promptly shrinks back to size. David and the gang OBVIOUSLY save him, because its “what they do” and Anton learns not all humans are bad.

But the biggest reveal comes when we learn Anton has a piece of the beanstalk that can be used to make new magical beans – i.e. bring everyone back to the fairy tale realm. That is if they can keep Cora away from the crop. But the idea of going back to the fairy tale realm begs a question from Mary Margaret: Will Emma go there with her family? And if not, should Mary Margaret and David stay in our land?

We visit Belle in the hospital briefly and she’s still feeling a little crazy for seeing Rumple throw a ball of fire. But the outsider, Greg, assures her that he saw it too. Uh oh…

Fairy Tale Realm that Was

We got Anton’s backstory this week, and it was a little uninteresting. We learn that he was bullied by his brothers for being a “tiny” giant and this fueled his desire to make friends with humans. One day Anton is creeping outside of a bar, knowing he can’t fit inside to drink with the humans, when he runs into James and his gal pal Jacquelyn – a.k.a Jack (yep Jack and the Giant Beanstalk).  They give him a bit of mushroom to turn him small and make him feel like one of the group.

They start talking about the debt James’s family is in and Anton decides he should help his new friends considering the immense treasure he has. James and Jack aren’t looking for treasure, though, and follow him to the beanstalk where they kill all of the giants and start looking for magical beans.

Anton destroys the entire crop, however, at the request of his family before they all perish. He is left alone with an immense disdain for humans and no family.

Road Rules: Fairy Tale Edition

Rumple, Emma, and Henry set out for New York this week to find Bae. It was basically what you’d expect with a trip from these three considering two of them have never left Storybrooke or encountered a plane before. Rumple made it weird for airport security when he refused to take off his magic shawl and Henry got really into Cinnabon. The biggest moment came when Rumple purposely bloodied his hand only to find that he couldn’t heal himself. I’m thinking this lack of magic is going to cause some issues…

Questions/Tidbits

- Anyone catch all the LOST references? Ajira Airlines? Hospitalized Belle getting Jules Verne’s The Mysterious Island? Exposé on the TV?

– Is it basically common knowledge at this point that Bae is actually Emma’s lost-love Neal?

Alexa can be reached at ahoyle@student.umass.edu.