Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Once Upon a Time Recap: Tiny

It has been quite some time since I last wrote an OUAT recap. Life just gets in the way, you know? Well I’m back and with this week’s recap of  “Tiny” which was entertaining and presented some interesting questions for the future of our favorite fairy tale characters. Let’s get into it…

Storybrooke

In Storybrooke this week we saw the return of Anton the Giant who’s been captive on Hooks boat, in a shrunken form, this whole time. I started to wonder how long he’d been captive on that boat but thinking about the timeline in this show hurts my brain so I just let it go. Anton basically has a freak out when they free him because he thinks David (which turns out to be his real fairytale name AND curse name) is his lothario brother James.

With the return of Anton was the return of the conniving version of Regina. At first I thought she was Cora in disguise because of how much of an instigator she was this week. She runs into Anton and gives him a mushroom that makes him (albeit, temporarily) a giant again.

Anton is soon terrorizing the town until he falls through a sinkhole and promptly shrinks back to size. David and the gang OBVIOUSLY save him, because its “what they do” and Anton learns not all humans are bad.

But the biggest reveal comes when we learn Anton has a piece of the beanstalk that can be used to make new magical beans – i.e. bring everyone back to the fairy tale realm. That is if they can keep Cora away from the crop. But the idea of going back to the fairy tale realm begs a question from Mary Margaret: Will Emma go there with her family? And if not, should Mary Margaret and David stay in our land?

We visit Belle in the hospital briefly and she’s still feeling a little crazy for seeing Rumple throw a ball of fire. But the outsider, Greg, assures her that he saw it too. Uh oh…

Fairy Tale Realm that Was

We got Anton’s backstory this week, and it was a little uninteresting. We learn that he was bullied by his brothers for being a “tiny” giant and this fueled his desire to make friends with humans. One day Anton is creeping outside of a bar, knowing he can’t fit inside to drink with the humans, when he runs into James and his gal pal Jacquelyn – a.k.a Jack (yep Jack and the Giant Beanstalk).  They give him a bit of mushroom to turn him small and make him feel like one of the group.

They start talking about the debt James’s family is in and Anton decides he should help his new friends considering the immense treasure he has. James and Jack aren’t looking for treasure, though, and follow him to the beanstalk where they kill all of the giants and start looking for magical beans.

Anton destroys the entire crop, however, at the request of his family before they all perish. He is left alone with an immense disdain for humans and no family.

Road Rules: Fairy Tale Edition

Rumple, Emma, and Henry set out for New York this week to find Bae. It was basically what you’d expect with a trip from these three considering two of them have never left Storybrooke or encountered a plane before. Rumple made it weird for airport security when he refused to take off his magic shawl and Henry got really into Cinnabon. The biggest moment came when Rumple purposely bloodied his hand only to find that he couldn’t heal himself. I’m thinking this lack of magic is going to cause some issues…

Questions/Tidbits

- Anyone catch all the LOST references? Ajira Airlines? Hospitalized Belle getting Jules Verne’s The Mysterious Island? Exposé on the TV?

– Is it basically common knowledge at this point that Bae is actually Emma’s lost-love Neal?

Alexa can be reached at ahoyle@student.umass.edu.