The do’s and don’ts of Valentine’s Day

Another year has passed and it is Valentine’s Day yet again. Thisis the one holiday everyone is indifferent about at one point or another. When you are in love, you cannot wait to share this day with your significant other. When you are single, Valentine’s Day makes you want to hide away with the box of chocolates you secretly bought for yourself. I personally have never been a big fan of this holiday, even when I had a valentine. Why must there be a specific day to celebrate that you are in love? If you are lucky enough to have found real love, you should constantly be in celebration of it.

Whether you are a single or in a relationship, there are a certain few DO and DON’T unspoken rules everyone should follow:

First, DON’T be the cynical poster child for this being a holiday created solely by the greeting card or candy industries because you believe “love doesn’t exist.” Just because you have had a bad experience with love does not mean good ones can’t happen. You do not want to be the single friend ruining the mood of this day for the love-struck people around you. Keep your feelings to yourself.

Next, DO spend this day with people you love whether it is friends, family, or your partner. Just because you are not “in love” with someone doesn’t mean you have to spend this day alone. If you are single, plan something fun to do with other single friends, who you still love, just not in that romantic way.

Third, DON’T be the couple that makes everyone feel awkward with your overwhelming amount of pda. We get it, you’re in love, and yes, we want you to feel free to celebrate it, but not if people around you become physically uncomfortable. Hand-holding and subtle kissing is fine, but anything more than that PLEASE do in PRIVATE.

Lastly, DO indulge yourself in the leftover, half-price V-day treats that accumulates in all the stores. This is the best part of this holiday. Live a little and say yes to that normally super, expensive box of chocolates.

Talia Seavey can be reached at tseavey@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “The do’s and don’ts of Valentine’s Day”
  1. Carol says:

Great advice! Well written. I’m going to Godiva
    tomorrow!! xo