50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

The do’s and don’ts of Valentine’s Day

Another year has passed and it is Valentine’s Day yet again. Thisis the one holiday everyone is indifferent about at one point or another. When you are in love, you cannot wait to share this day with your significant other. When you are single, Valentine’s Day makes you want to hide away with the box of chocolates you secretly bought for yourself. I personally have never been a big fan of this holiday, even when I had a valentine. Why must there be a specific day to celebrate that you are in love? If you are lucky enough to have found real love, you should constantly be in celebration of it.

Whether you are a single or in a relationship, there are a certain few DO and DON’T unspoken rules everyone should follow:

First, DON’T be the cynical poster child for this being a holiday created solely by the greeting card or candy industries because you believe “love doesn’t exist.” Just because you have had a bad experience with love does not mean good ones can’t happen. You do not want to be the single friend ruining the mood of this day for the love-struck people around you. Keep your feelings to yourself.

Next, DO spend this day with people you love whether it is friends, family, or your partner. Just because you are not “in love” with someone doesn’t mean you have to spend this day alone. If you are single, plan something fun to do with other single friends, who you still love, just not in that romantic way.

Third, DON’T be the couple that makes everyone feel awkward with your overwhelming amount of pda. We get it, you’re in love, and yes, we want you to feel free to celebrate it, but not if people around you become physically uncomfortable. Hand-holding and subtle kissing is fine, but anything more than that PLEASE do in PRIVATE.

Lastly, DO indulge yourself in the leftover, half-price V-day treats that accumulates in all the stores. This is the best part of this holiday. Live a little and say yes to that normally super, expensive box of chocolates.

Talia Seavey can be reached at tseavey@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “The do’s and don’ts of Valentine’s Day”
  1. Carol says:

Great advice! Well written. I’m going to Godiva
    tomorrow!! xo