‘Stopping Genocide and Mass Atrocities by Stopping the War Profiteers’ talk at UMass -

UMass hockey falls to No. 6 UMass Lowell for third time this season -

UMass hockey breakdown in final minutes of the second period on route to 5-2 loss to UMass Lowell -

Notebook: Jack Gibbs stars as UMass men’s basketball team drops game to Davidson Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball drops another close game, falls to Davidson Saturday afternoon -

Local blogger Larry Kelley dies in car crash, remembered by community -

REPORT: UMass football to name Ed Pinkham as next defensive coordinator -

UMass students skip class to stand in solidarity with undocumented immigrants and refugees -

NPR Education Correspondent Eric Westervelt talks on future of education -

Faculty of journalism department discusses failures of journalism during Trump era -

UMass hockey prepares for third and final match-up against No. 6 UMass Lowell on Saturday -

Panelists hold discussion on embodying global coalitions -

Journalist speaks on criminalization of youth in the United States -

UMass women’s lacrosse heads to Florida in search of first win of 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to get offense back on track against Ohio State -

Duquesne stomps UMass men’s basketball 96-66 in Pittsburgh -

UMass softball focuses on mental approach ahead of Madeira Beach Invitational -

UMass women’s basketball drops eighth straight in loss at Richmond -

‘50 Shades Darker’ steams up all windows in the nation -

’20th Century Women’ is a love letter to women across generations -

The do’s and don’ts of Valentine’s Day

Another year has passed and it is Valentine’s Day yet again. Thisis the one holiday everyone is indifferent about at one point or another. When you are in love, you cannot wait to share this day with your significant other. When you are single, Valentine’s Day makes you want to hide away with the box of chocolates you secretly bought for yourself. I personally have never been a big fan of this holiday, even when I had a valentine. Why must there be a specific day to celebrate that you are in love? If you are lucky enough to have found real love, you should constantly be in celebration of it.

Whether you are a single or in a relationship, there are a certain few DO and DON’T unspoken rules everyone should follow:

First, DON’T be the cynical poster child for this being a holiday created solely by the greeting card or candy industries because you believe “love doesn’t exist.” Just because you have had a bad experience with love does not mean good ones can’t happen. You do not want to be the single friend ruining the mood of this day for the love-struck people around you. Keep your feelings to yourself.

Next, DO spend this day with people you love whether it is friends, family, or your partner. Just because you are not “in love” with someone doesn’t mean you have to spend this day alone. If you are single, plan something fun to do with other single friends, who you still love, just not in that romantic way.

Third, DON’T be the couple that makes everyone feel awkward with your overwhelming amount of pda. We get it, you’re in love, and yes, we want you to feel free to celebrate it, but not if people around you become physically uncomfortable. Hand-holding and subtle kissing is fine, but anything more than that PLEASE do in PRIVATE.

Lastly, DO indulge yourself in the leftover, half-price V-day treats that accumulates in all the stores. This is the best part of this holiday. Live a little and say yes to that normally super, expensive box of chocolates.

Talia Seavey can be reached at tseavey@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “The do’s and don’ts of Valentine’s Day”
  1. Carol says:

Great advice! Well written. I’m going to Godiva
    tomorrow!! xo