Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass men’s lacrosse with steady approach against No. 4 UNC

The Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team fell victim to its relatively weak schedule last season.

Taylor Snow/Collegian

The Minutemen (1-0) took full advantage of underachieving non-conference opponents and a down year in the Colonial Athletic Association on their way to an undefeated regular season and a conference title, but it inevitably cost them when they were handed the No. 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament and fell to Colgate in the first round at Garber Field.

UMass responded to the criticism by adding big non-conference tests to its 2013 slate, arguably none bigger than the one this Saturday when the Minutemen take on No. 4 North Carolina in a neutral site game at Kennesaw State in Atlanta.

The Tar Heels (1-0) suffered a similar fate as UMass last year when their season ended on their home field in a disappointing loss to Denver in the first round of the tournament.

But UNC comes into this season with the top-rated recruiting class and high expectations. Senior attackman Marcus Holman has equally high expectations coming off a 74-point (39 goals, 35 assists) showing last season that accounted for 20 percent of the Tar Heels offensive output.

The captain has already made his presence felt early on this season as his two goals and six assists led UNC past Air Force, 16-8, in its season opener last weekend. The Tar Heels also got five goals from sophomore attacker Jimmy Bitter, and a hat trick from sophomore Joey Sankey and junior Ryan Creighton in the win.

“They have fantastic athletes,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said of UNC, “great team speed, great skill set. They play at 100 percent every play, so we’re obviously very impressed with their capability, but also the energy they play at and the enthusiasm they play at. It’s a fantastic team.”

The Tar Heels could potentially be the highest-ranked and most talented team the No. 12 Minutemen face all year. But Cannella has his players treating this game like any other regular season game.

“You have to. You gotta go play,” Cannella said. “We tell them the same thing about us, it doesn’t mean squat. Rankings don’t mean anything until the end of the year. So you gotta continue to try to improve.

“When you go into games like this you just gotta go play,” he said. “This is an outstanding opponent, it’s an opportunity for us, so now you gotta be able to go handle it and go play. If you look at all that other stuff then kids get overwhelmed.”

Senior attacker Kyle Smith echoed his coach’s sentiments, saying, “It’s just a regular game, and just another opponent.”

Saturday’s game against UNC, regardless of the result, is one that could potentially serve beneficial to the Minutemen in the long run.

“We definitely see it as an opportunity to prove ourselves against a very good team, but you can’t control who you put on your schedule so you just go out there and play against whoever,” Smith said. “The way we look at it is any team we play can beat us, so we have to go out and bring it every game.”

Like the Tar Heels, the Minutemen are also coming off a convincing 16-9 win over Army in their season opener on Sunday. However, what was missing was the contribution of their best players.

Smith and Will Manny were held to just a goal apiece, although Smith contributed with three assists. UMass got a majority of its production from its midfielders, which accounted for 14 UMass goals.

One of those midfielders, senior Colin Fleming, didn’t play on Sunday and didn’t fully participate in Tuesday’s practice. It is uncertain whether or not Fleming will play on Saturday.

No matter who is on the field this Saturday, Cannella is looking at this game the same way he would any other week against any other opponent.

“It’s like every other game,” he said. “It’s supposed to just prepare you and give you more experience for the future. You hope that is there for us, but you can’t treat it like it’s the biggest game of the year because it’s one of 14 games.”

Face-off is set for 1 p.m.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.