UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Are You Kidding Me?

Elizabeth Glasband

Elizabeth Glasband has been though some hilarious, bizarre and sometimes outrageous dates.

From scaring her mother’s dates to being held hostage while trying to shop and to almost being imprisoned in Mexico, her book “Are you kidding me? A Journal of First Dates, Flings, and Finding Love” is full of adventures and other entertaining mishaps.

The book is the autobiographical account of her weird and wonderful dating career, the perfect reading material for Valentine’s Day. It reads like a personal diary filled with childhood memoirs and teenage confessions making for an easily relatable read as well as being hugely enjoyable just to pick up. It may be a bit of a drag for romantics as it lacks the descriptive detail and emotional dimension that romantics crave, but it is, however, a good read for anyone looking for a quickly paced, straightforward book that doesn’t pull any punches.

The book is available on Amazon and is also available on the author’s e-store that offers students a 20 percent discount.

Q.        What prompted you to write the book?

Truthfully, I was not one of those people who always dreamed about writing a book. In fact, the thought never really crossed my mind – until two years ago. Things had just ended with the current guy I was seeing and his actions were just so bizarre (like many of them). My friends and I had lengthy discussions about putting together a scrap book with pictures of each guy, their profiles and our dating stories. It would have been hilarious. However, if I tried to publish it and expand my audience beyond my friends, I would unquestionably have been sued by all my disgruntled exes. A dating journal was a much better idea. So that’s precisely how it evolved. Since some of the stories are so shocking, funny and outrageous, I wanted to share them with everyone. All of the stories are true, but of course I’ve changed guys’ names, places of work, etc. It has been one long roller coaster ride, so be prepared.

Q.        How did it feel to have your whole life in front of you in paper? Did it ever make you feel insecure or vulnerable?

I don’t think writing a book like this is for everyone because it definitely makes you feel insecure and vulnerable. How could it not? But I wanted to tell my story and I needed to push those feelings aside. People are going to judge me when they read this book and I may not like that, but I have to accept it. However, I know there are so many girls out there who can relate to all my dating drama and being able to document my journey has been amazing.

Additionally, I have told some of the guys that are in the book about it and that was tremendously scary. They were surprisingly OK with it, yet I still hope every day that they don’t decide to read the whole book (they have read parts) for fear of exposing every single thought I had about them. All of those embarrassing things you tell only your closest friends, well I have detailed those out for everyone and that takes a lot of courage.

Q.        If there was one incident from your book that you could undo, what it be?

There are so many I could undo. But in all honesty, I don’t really believe in regrets and I have learned so much from the mistakes that I made. If I didn’t think this way, I would be undoing so much from my past that has made me who I am today. I never would have gone out with the guy who confused me with a prostitute, I would have realized that the guy who dumped me on New Year’s Eve was a douche, I would definitely not have believed that psychic when she predicted my future husband, and so much more. But I have grown as a person and gained so many valuable lessons from all of it. And not to mention I never would have had this book!

Q.        Will there be a sequel of some sort?

I have started a sequel that picks up right where I left off. It changes gears a bit though because I get into a serious relationship, but I maintain the same humor and build upon that. I think readers will still feel the same connection and be able to relate through this part as well.

Q.        What as the hardest part of the book? (In terms of writing it)

The stories were easy to write since they were all true and it just flowed naturally. Putting pen to paper was the easy part. The hardest part was having to edit it over and over again and all the things that come after in terms of publishing it. Once you are done writing, it’s as if the hard work is just beginning.

Q.        What led to the ‘two-month rule’ wherein you wouldn’t sleep with anyone unless you have dated them for two months?

For me, having sex with someone is taking things to the next level. I never wanted to put myself in that position right in the very beginning, and I always think it is better and more meaningful once you develop a real connection with someone. I’m not going to lie, I have broken the rule a couple of times (like in the first chapter!) but I wanted to draw the line somewhere and that’s what I decided.

Q. If there were five qualities that a woman should look for in a man, what would you suggest?

That is a tough question because I think that everyone is different and we aren’t all looking for the exact same things in a partner. For me, the five qualities I look for are kindness, honesty, intelligence, humor and reliability.

But I also think it is important to find a partner who makes you feel special and compliments your personality. For example, I am very stubborn, so I need to be with someone who is easy-going. I like to call the shots a lot of the time, so again I have to be with someone who is OK with that but who puts me in my place every so often. Everyone is different and there isn’t one ideal prototype that works for everybody. But whether you go for the introvert, or the life of the party, the artist or the businessman, make sure you choose somebody who will treat you with kindness, respect and dignity, like every girl deserves.

Use this link to go to the e-store: https://www.createspace.com/3749749 and use this discount code to purchase the book: BXMEW2N3

Sanah Rizvi can be reached at srizvi@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.