Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

BC crushes Northeastern for fourth straight Beanpot title

Michael Wood/Collegian File Photo

After a scoreless first period of play, the Boston College hockey team exploded for four goals in just more than nine minutes in the second period en route to a 6-3 win over Northeastern.

The victory signaled more celebrations for the defending national champions, who lifted their fourth Beanpot in as many years following the final horn.

For the Eagles (17-7-2, 12-6-1Hockey East Association), the 2013 Beanpot is their 18th in the history of the competition and their seventh under coach Jerry York.

“I am so incredibly proud of our club but specifically our senior class and our captains,” York said following the win. “They are model citizens for BC hockey.”

The senior class is the first class in BC history to have a perfect Beanpot record, with Patch Alber, Brooks Dyroff, Parker Milner, Pat Mullane, Patrick Wey and Steven Whitney all concluding with four titles in the span of four years.

Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau opened the scoring with goals separated by just 1:15 in the second period. Beanpot Most Valuable Player Kevin Roy pulled one back for the Huskies (8-14-3, 4-11-3 HEA), before Patrick Brown and Whitney tallied another pair for the Eagles.

Roy scored another 11 seconds into the third period and Braden Pimm added the Huskies’ third at 3:56.

However, the Eagles pulled away late with Gaudreau’s second goal of the night and Mullane sealed it with an empty-net strike with less than two minutes left in the game.

Despite the defeat, Roy’s two goals brought his tournament total to five, after his hat trick propelled the Huskies past Boston University in the first round.

Harvard triumphs over BU

Luke Greiner scored a hat trick while teammate Marshall Everson added a pair in Harvard’s 7-4 win over Boston University in the Beanpot consolation game on Monday night.

Mike Moran opened the scoring for the Terriers (13-12-1, 10-7-1 HEA) at 3:12 in the first period before Wade Megan made it 2-0 with his shorthanded effort beating Peter Traber.

The Crimson (6-15-2) regrouped and responded about 75 seconds later when Dan Ford scooped up a rebound that Terrier goalie Sean Maguire let trickle away and slotted it into the top left corner. Danny Biega added Harvard’s second about 14 seconds before the first intermission.

Harvard was called for a penalty as the period ended and the Terriers converted one minute, 38 seconds into the power play on a goal by Evan Rodrigues to regain the BU lead.

It was all Crimson from that point on.

Everson knotted the game at three with 3:19 remaining and Greiner gave Harvard its first lead 73 seconds later. At 16:33, Greiner extended the lead to 5-3 by converting Harvard’s only power play goal of the tournament.

In the third period, Everson added his second to double up the Terriers before Cason Hohmann registered their fourth goal of the night. Greiner completed the hat trick with an empty-net goal with just eight seconds remaining in regulation after Maguire was pulled for the extra skater.

For Greiner, the hat trick was the first of his career in his final Beanpot game before graduating as a senior.

It was the first time since 1979-80 that Harvard had beaten the Terriers twice in one season.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at jokerman@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Okerman.