Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

BC crushes Northeastern for fourth straight Beanpot title

Michael Wood/Collegian File Photo

After a scoreless first period of play, the Boston College hockey team exploded for four goals in just more than nine minutes in the second period en route to a 6-3 win over Northeastern.

The victory signaled more celebrations for the defending national champions, who lifted their fourth Beanpot in as many years following the final horn.

For the Eagles (17-7-2, 12-6-1Hockey East Association), the 2013 Beanpot is their 18th in the history of the competition and their seventh under coach Jerry York.

“I am so incredibly proud of our club but specifically our senior class and our captains,” York said following the win. “They are model citizens for BC hockey.”

The senior class is the first class in BC history to have a perfect Beanpot record, with Patch Alber, Brooks Dyroff, Parker Milner, Pat Mullane, Patrick Wey and Steven Whitney all concluding with four titles in the span of four years.

Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau opened the scoring with goals separated by just 1:15 in the second period. Beanpot Most Valuable Player Kevin Roy pulled one back for the Huskies (8-14-3, 4-11-3 HEA), before Patrick Brown and Whitney tallied another pair for the Eagles.

Roy scored another 11 seconds into the third period and Braden Pimm added the Huskies’ third at 3:56.

However, the Eagles pulled away late with Gaudreau’s second goal of the night and Mullane sealed it with an empty-net strike with less than two minutes left in the game.

Despite the defeat, Roy’s two goals brought his tournament total to five, after his hat trick propelled the Huskies past Boston University in the first round.

Harvard triumphs over BU

Luke Greiner scored a hat trick while teammate Marshall Everson added a pair in Harvard’s 7-4 win over Boston University in the Beanpot consolation game on Monday night.

Mike Moran opened the scoring for the Terriers (13-12-1, 10-7-1 HEA) at 3:12 in the first period before Wade Megan made it 2-0 with his shorthanded effort beating Peter Traber.

The Crimson (6-15-2) regrouped and responded about 75 seconds later when Dan Ford scooped up a rebound that Terrier goalie Sean Maguire let trickle away and slotted it into the top left corner. Danny Biega added Harvard’s second about 14 seconds before the first intermission.

Harvard was called for a penalty as the period ended and the Terriers converted one minute, 38 seconds into the power play on a goal by Evan Rodrigues to regain the BU lead.

It was all Crimson from that point on.

Everson knotted the game at three with 3:19 remaining and Greiner gave Harvard its first lead 73 seconds later. At 16:33, Greiner extended the lead to 5-3 by converting Harvard’s only power play goal of the tournament.

In the third period, Everson added his second to double up the Terriers before Cason Hohmann registered their fourth goal of the night. Greiner completed the hat trick with an empty-net goal with just eight seconds remaining in regulation after Maguire was pulled for the extra skater.

For Greiner, the hat trick was the first of his career in his final Beanpot game before graduating as a senior.

It was the first time since 1979-80 that Harvard had beaten the Terriers twice in one season.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at jokerman@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Okerman.