Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

How to love being single on Valentine’s Day

Flickr/Magnus D

It’s that time of year again. The time where the center aisle in supermarkets are filled with red products: red candy boxes, red candles, red cards,  red teddy bears, red wrapped Godiva chocolates and last but not least red roses.

It can be wonderful. But roses, candlelight and chocolate all feel so much better when you have someone to share it with.

Valentine’s Day dates back to around the third century and literally means, “a day for the exchange of tokens of affection.”  The tradition of exchanging tokens on Feb. 14 has stood the test of time, but for all of us single people, Valentine’s Day has turned into more of a Singles Awareness Day, also known as S.A.D. This day of romance and lovey-dovey couples sometimes can be a slap in the face to those whose love life is about as exciting as the Du Bois library on a Friday night. But don’t panic- there are various things that you can do today to distract your eyes from focusing on the people with heart balloons and a handful of roses.

Valentine’s Day was so much easier in grade school when everyone was your valentine. The days of handing out Snoopy or Harry Potter cards to everyone in your class with the generic “Be Mine” saying on it, even if you didn’t mean it. As you get older, a “valentine” has a much deeper meaning. But, it is also important to remember that Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a sorrow-filled day of indulging on Ben & Jerry’s and sappy romance films by your lonesome.

Firstly, throw a party. Being single means that only single people can celebrate S.A.D. Invite all of your single friends to go out to eat or stay inside and drink cheap wine. Just remember, a S.A.D party means no couples and no crying over how “single” you are. Keep it fun, uplifting, and remember being single means being free.

Another great way to spend this often heart-wrenching holiday is to share the love. A random act of kindness always goes a long way. Buy those corny Valentine’s Day cards and stick them on random car windshields. Call an old friend and tell them you love them, just because you can. Feeling good about making other people happy is probably the best distraction there is to keep you from feeling lonely. There’s a lot more to love than diamonds and chivalry.

Although Valentine’s Day is technically supposed to be celebrated with a loved one, or at least someone that you can “exchange tokens of affection” with, you can break the tradition. Spend this day being your own valentine. Cross out something on your bucket list, or treat yourself to some expensive chocolate. Rather than wasting the day away longing for a hand to hold, spend it loving yourself.

In the grand scheme of things, Valentine’s Day is just another day; the only difference is that it comes with a label. You could throw a party, be your own valentine for the day, spread the love, or just completely ignore this list.

This day could just be another day in the life and being single allows you to do whatever you want to do.

It’s very common to forget how broad of a word “love” actually is. Especially on this holiday, we think of a love like Cory or Topanga on “Boy Meets World,” or Nicholas Spark’s Allie and Noah. But when you’re feeling extra lonely on Valentine’s Day, remember that a love between friends like Cory and Shawn Hunter can be just as good.

Beth Cormack can be reached at bcomack@student.umass.edu.