UMass students make an impact -

Monday, September 15, 2014

Apple unveils new smartwatch and larger iPhone 6 -

Monday, September 15, 2014

Fast food strikers right to demand stake in ‘American dream’ -

Monday, September 15, 2014

New Journalism Chair Kathy Roberts Forde finds home at UMass -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass men’s soccer shut out by Boston University in rain-soaked matchup -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass field hockey gets much needed win on Sunday vs. UMass Lowell -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass men’s and women’s cross country opens season with middling finishes -

Monday, September 15, 2014

Dear Chancellor: Fund dilapidated arts classrooms -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass to create new renewable energy chair position -

Monday, September 15, 2014

Uber: A better deal for area students -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass field hockey loses 2-1 to California on Friday -

Monday, September 15, 2014

University panel brings understanding to the term ‘hooking up’ -

Monday, September 15, 2014

UMass women’s soccer falters at UConn -

Monday, September 15, 2014

Dr. Vijay Prashad speaks at UMass on capitalism and global inequality -

Monday, September 15, 2014

Minutewomen offensive struggles continue in a 2-1 loss vs. California -

Sunday, September 14, 2014

UMass football falls to Vanderbilt 34-31 in crushing fashion -

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Sept. 8, 2014 -

Friday, September 12, 2014

“She was a happy person and she exuded that happiness onto everyone around her” -

Thursday, September 11, 2014

UMass football prepares for Southeastern Conference opponent in first road game of the season. -

Thursday, September 11, 2014

‘Calvary’ laces optimism with incredibly dark comedy -

Thursday, September 11, 2014

How to love being single on Valentine’s Day

Flickr/Magnus D

It’s that time of year again. The time where the center aisle in supermarkets are filled with red products: red candy boxes, red candles, red cards,  red teddy bears, red wrapped Godiva chocolates and last but not least red roses.

It can be wonderful. But roses, candlelight and chocolate all feel so much better when you have someone to share it with.

Valentine’s Day dates back to around the third century and literally means, “a day for the exchange of tokens of affection.”  The tradition of exchanging tokens on Feb. 14 has stood the test of time, but for all of us single people, Valentine’s Day has turned into more of a Singles Awareness Day, also known as S.A.D. This day of romance and lovey-dovey couples sometimes can be a slap in the face to those whose love life is about as exciting as the Du Bois library on a Friday night. But don’t panic- there are various things that you can do today to distract your eyes from focusing on the people with heart balloons and a handful of roses.

Valentine’s Day was so much easier in grade school when everyone was your valentine. The days of handing out Snoopy or Harry Potter cards to everyone in your class with the generic “Be Mine” saying on it, even if you didn’t mean it. As you get older, a “valentine” has a much deeper meaning. But, it is also important to remember that Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a sorrow-filled day of indulging on Ben & Jerry’s and sappy romance films by your lonesome.

Firstly, throw a party. Being single means that only single people can celebrate S.A.D. Invite all of your single friends to go out to eat or stay inside and drink cheap wine. Just remember, a S.A.D party means no couples and no crying over how “single” you are. Keep it fun, uplifting, and remember being single means being free.

Another great way to spend this often heart-wrenching holiday is to share the love. A random act of kindness always goes a long way. Buy those corny Valentine’s Day cards and stick them on random car windshields. Call an old friend and tell them you love them, just because you can. Feeling good about making other people happy is probably the best distraction there is to keep you from feeling lonely. There’s a lot more to love than diamonds and chivalry.

Although Valentine’s Day is technically supposed to be celebrated with a loved one, or at least someone that you can “exchange tokens of affection” with, you can break the tradition. Spend this day being your own valentine. Cross out something on your bucket list, or treat yourself to some expensive chocolate. Rather than wasting the day away longing for a hand to hold, spend it loving yourself.

In the grand scheme of things, Valentine’s Day is just another day; the only difference is that it comes with a label. You could throw a party, be your own valentine for the day, spread the love, or just completely ignore this list.

This day could just be another day in the life and being single allows you to do whatever you want to do.

It’s very common to forget how broad of a word “love” actually is. Especially on this holiday, we think of a love like Cory or Topanga on “Boy Meets World,” or Nicholas Spark’s Allie and Noah. But when you’re feeling extra lonely on Valentine’s Day, remember that a love between friends like Cory and Shawn Hunter can be just as good.

Beth Cormack can be reached at bcomack@student.umass.edu.