UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Stonewall Center to host Valentine’s dance Saturday

Flickr/atmtx

The Fine Arts Center lobby will be filled with Valentine’s Day decorations on Saturday night when the Stonewall Center hosts a Valentine’s-themed dance.

Promoted as “Love Comes Out: A LGBTQA Dance Party,” the dance begins at 9 p.m. and will last until 1 a.m. The event will feature a chocolate fountain, drawings for prizes and a kissing booth.

The dance will also have a “Cupid’s Love Factory,” an original way to meet people on the night of the dance. When people come in, they can write their name, email, and some facts about themselves and what type of person they are trying to meet on a piece of paper. By the end of the night, everyone who filled out a piece of paper will be matched up.

“It’s something different,” said Genny Beemyn, director of the Stonewall Center. “It’s kind of like speed meeting.”

Beemyn added that it was not meant to be a way to find someone to hook up with, but instead a way to meet new people and broaden horizons.

The Stonewall Center usually hosts one dance per semester, one in September and one in the spring, usually April. Beemyn said that having a dance in the spring avoids any potential weather concerns that could cancel the event.

“We [originally] scheduled it in April and the Fine Arts Center did not realize that the date they gave us was already booked,” Beemyn said. “The only date available was this weekend in February.”

Beemyn added, “It wasn’t our intentions to have a Valentine’s dance, but due to the date we were given, we thought it would be a good theme.”

The DJ for the dance will be Studebaker Hawk, who was voted “Best DJ in the Valley” by the Valley Advocate three years in a row.

The Stonewall Center provides support and programming for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual students, staff and faculty at UMass and the Pioneer Valley, as well as allies. They recently created a Five-College Certificate in Queer and Sexuality Studies and are in the midst of creating a group on campus to provide support to people of color who identify as LGBT.

Patrick Hoff can be reached pphoff@student.umass.edu.