Panda Bear remains confident, even in the face of ‘The Grim Reaper’ -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Why I want to be a teacher -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams wrap up third-place finishes at Dartmouth Invitational -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass’ College of Education to train Pakistani higher education administrators -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hao Luong shines for UMass men’s swimming and diving on Senior Day, prepares for end of college career -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Jan. 23, 2015 to Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Rachel Hilliard, Heather MacLean highlight solid performance from UMass women’s track and field -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hockey East: Eichel’s overtime goal pushes Boston University past Vermont -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Albums to look forward to in 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass closes ahead of inclement weather -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Writers respond to State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Mistakes plague UMass hockey in 6-3 loss to UMass Lowell

Derek Arnold found a seam.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

With less than two minutes remaining in the second period, the UMass Lowell hockey forward found himself all alone near the blue line with no opposition in sight, and with defenders stacked to one end of the ice in a clear breakdown, teammate Joe Houk rifled a pass to him streaking in front of the visitors’ bench.

Arnold had the rest covered. With nothing but clear ice separating him and Massachusetts goaltender Kevin Boyle, he skated in and backhanded a shot by the net minder to give his team a decisive two-goal lead heading into the intermission.

And it was just that kind of night for the Minutemen, who committed mistake after mistake that ultimately led to their demise in a 6-3 loss to the No. 14 River Hawks in front of 3,124 at the Mullins Center on Friday night.

“I think all of their goals were results of very poor decisions (by us),” UMass coach John Micheletto said. “I don’t know if I have an answer for that. I just know that it was uncharacteristically poor reads that led directly to their goals.”

It was those kinds of mistakes compounded by them being early and late in periods that made the night so frustrating for the Minutemen as well. Four of UML’s six goals on the night occurred in either the first or last two minutes of a period, including two from Arnold, both of which came after UMass cut its deficit to one goal.

“It’s very difficult to generate energy, feel good mentality when that happens,” Micheletto said. “When things happen in the first couple of minutes of a game or the last couple of minutes of the period, it takes that wind out of your sails. Now you’re having to manufacture energy and confidence at that point.”

Arnold’s first strike came late in the first period. After the River Hawks opened up a 2-0 lead, including the first coming just 1 minute, 20 seconds following the opening faceoff, UMass forward Michael Pereira sliced his team’s deficit to one with a short-handed wrap-around goal at the 16:54 mark that seemingly was going to give the Minutemen momentum heading into intermission.

But two minutes, nine seconds later, UML found itself on a 2-on-1 attack down the ice and Houk found Arnold, who put it past Boyle to give his team a 3-1 lead.

UMass forward Conor Sheary, who was stoned by River Hawks goaltender Connor Hellebuyck on a breakaway opportunity in the first, put home a power play goal at the 9:38 mark of the second to make it a one score game.

But again, Arnold responded, as he streaked down the right side unmarked and deposited it past Boyle to give UML a 4-2 lead heading into the second intermission.

“I really like the fact that we responded,” River Hawks coach Norm Bazin said. “It’s tough on the road, especially when the crowd gets going and there’s a hostile environment in some respects, to respond after the opposition scores are very good signs.”

Rocco Carzo tipped in a shot from Joel Hanley at the 7:10 mark of the third to bring the UMass deficit back to one, but again, UML responded. Riley Wetmore scored his 100th career point by putting home a rebound with 4:56 left, and 2:53 later, Josh Holmstrom put the icing on the cake with a power play goal to make it 6-3.

“You give up two power play goals and a shorty, usually you don’t win those games,” Bazin said. “Thankfully for us, we scored a power play goal of our own and we were able to score 5-on-5.”

Boyle finished with just 13 saves while Hellebuyck recorded 26 saves in the win.

The loss puts the Minutemen in eighth place in the Hockey East standings after Vermont leapfrogged them with a 2-1 win at Northeastern on Friday night.

UMass will try to avoid a season sweep from UML when it heads to the Tsongas Center on Saturday night to complete the weekend’s home-and-home series.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.