Season-ticket holders excited to be a part of new era of UMass football -

Monday, September 22, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass can’t squander Saturday’s ‘must win’ affair -

Monday, September 22, 2014

‘Destiny’ videogame does not reach potential -

Monday, September 22, 2014

How one Facebook post made me an SGA senator (and why we need to fix it) -

Monday, September 22, 2014

The police aren’t out to protect us -

Monday, September 22, 2014

Social inequities are a strong presence at UMass -

Monday, September 22, 2014

UMass baseball alumni return to Amherst with a victory in Alumni Game -

Monday, September 22, 2014

Wearable tech the latest fashion trend -

Monday, September 22, 2014

UMass field hockey loses 2-1 to Northeastern on Sunday -

Monday, September 22, 2014

Visiting Writers Series welcomes Mitchell S. Jackson -

Monday, September 22, 2014

SGA working toward diversifying UMass campus -

Monday, September 22, 2014

Local poetry festival honors works of Robert Frost and Emily Dickinson -

Monday, September 22, 2014

UMass football blown out in all phases against Penn State -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Penn State rushes over UMass football 48-7 -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Luke Pavone jumpstarts UMass men’s soccer’s comeback effort in win over Fairfield -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer earns first win of the season in emotional home opener -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Ed Davis report leaves nobody blameless -

Friday, September 19, 2014

White House starts public awareness drive to prevent sexual attacks on campus -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s hoops closes rivalry with 83-82 loss to Temple

For 39 minutes, 42 seconds, the possible final chapter of a storied rivalry between the Massachusetts men’s basketball team and Temple was everything fans on both sides could have asked for.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

UMass had the ball down by one with 17.6 seconds left on the clock, with one last possession to decide the final victor of the series in the 65th — and last Atlantic 10 — meeting between the two programs.

But when Freddie Riley’s back-door pass to Chaz Williams was deflected away from the basket, the clock expired without a final shot attempt to decide the game, providing an anti-climatic finish as Temple raced off the Mullins Center floor with an 83-82 victory in front of an electric 7,438 on Saturday night.

The Owls will leave the Atlantic 10 for the Big East next year.

“I guess that’s probably what’s expected out of the last conference UMass-Temple game,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said, “I guess a thriller that competes with some of the ones we’ve had over the years.”

Williams started the final play by driving to the right, but coughed up the ball. Riley was there to corral the loose ball, drove from right-to-left towards the middle of the paint, but picked up his dribble when the Owls defense surrounded him. Riley looked around and tried to hit Williams cutting to the basket with a bounce pass through traffic, but the ball was deflected. Both teams dove for the ball, but the horn sounded, leaving those in attendance left in silence trying to digest the final play.

The referees reviewed to see if a jump-ball whistle came before the final buzzer, but the initial call was upheld and Temple survived.

Temple guard Khalif Wyatt, the A-10’s leading scorer, fought through a poor first half for the Owls to finish with a game-high 24 points, going 6-of-10 from the field and 5-of-8 from beyond the arc in the second half. He had 17 points in the second half alone, as he appeared to force his way through his shooting skid through the first 20 minutes.

“He’s an extraordinary offensive player,” Temple coach Fran Dunphy said. “He made a couple of threes that were really tough, but that’s what he does.”

Riley finished with 17 points to lead the Minutemen, while Williams had a double-double (16 points, 13 assists) and Cady Lalanne had 14 points and 12 boards off the bench.

After Williams cut the deficit to 80-79, Scottie Randall drilled a three in the corner to extend the Owls’ lead to two possessions at 83-79 with 1:25 remaining. But Riley responded with a triple of his own to bring the tilt back within a point.

Williams then stole the ball away from Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson and passed it up the court to Riley, who misfired on a pull-up 3-pointer. Hollis-Jefferson then missed a tip-in at the rim, Williams corralled the rebound, raced across half court and called timeout, which set up the final play.

Lalanne dominated the first half, outmuscling Temple in the paint to get easy, undeterred looks at the rim. All 14 of his points came in the opening frame on 7-of-9 shooting, but the Owls made the necessary adjustments to front Lalanne on the block and cave in on him when he had possession under the basket. He finished 0-for-2 in the second half.

Kellogg felt that in addition to those adjustments, Lalanne didn’t have the same energy or “the same pop that he had in the first half.”

“I thought they did a good job of reaching in there and whacking him,” Kellogg said. “They were kind of getting in there and hitting him.

“I think as he gets older and more mature, he’ll play through the guard coming down there and hitting him, but they did a better job of surrounding him,” he continued. “I thought they did a better job of boxing him out, and his energy probably just has to be carried for 40 minutes.”

Saturday’s contest marked the last meeting between UMass and Temple for the foreseeable future. The Owls finished the all-time conference series with a 44-21 advantage, but only hold a 23-21 advantage in the last 44 meetings.

The Minutemen are back in action Wednesday night as they travel to St. Bonaventure.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.