A bond over basketball: Trey Davis and Zach Coleman’s friendship continues to grow at UMass -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark- January 27, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Panda Bear remains confident, even in the face of ‘The Grim Reaper’ -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Why I want to be a teacher -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams wrap up third-place finishes at Dartmouth Invitational -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass’ College of Education to train Pakistani higher education administrators -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hao Luong shines for UMass men’s swimming and diving on Senior Day, prepares for end of college career -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Jan. 23, 2015 to Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Rachel Hilliard, Heather MacLean highlight solid performance from UMass women’s track and field -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hockey East: Eichel’s overtime goal pushes Boston University past Vermont -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Albums to look forward to in 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass closes ahead of inclement weather -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Writers respond to State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Ingham shines for UMass men’s T&F at A-10 Championships

Freshman Nick Ingham never did hurdles, pole vault, long jump or shot put until he came to college. But those were just four of the seven events he had to do in the heptathlon event at the Indoor Track A-10 Championship this weekend.

Ingham finished third in the heptathlon, set personal-best marks in every event except the hurdles and high jump, qualified for the New England Championships with a total score of 4,666 points and helped the Massachusetts men’s track and field team to a seventh place finish at the two-day event in Kingston, R.I.

“I can’t even put it into words,” Ingham said of his performance over the weekend. “I knew coming into it that I had just a little bit more to give in just about every event.”

Ingham said he did not expect to do so well in his first year, and gives a lot of credit for his success to Jumps and Multi-Events Coach David Jackson.

“Coach Jackson never gave up on me and pushed me every day and really took me to where I am today,” Ingham said, “and I can’t thank him enough.”

Coach Ken O’Brien said Ingham and Jackson are a perfect combination to get the best out of the rookie.

“Coach Jackson, who (Ingham) works with upon his arrival at UMass, is a perfect compliment to what (Ingham’s) athletic ability is and what he is as a person,” O’Brien said. “Coach Jackson’s philosophy of coaching and his knowledge in all those different areas, they feed right into Nick’s ability and desire to heat it all up and put it into motion as fast as he can.”

Continuing their success in the pole vault were Michael Cyphers and Gregory Copeland, who finished the event in fourth and seventh place, respectively, with heights of 15 feet, 3 inches, and 14 feet, 8 inches. However, Cyphers still has yet to beat his top high school mark of 15 feet, 6 inches, and plans on going even higher in future events.

“I’ll definitely be expecting a big jump next weekend at the New England Championships, and I think outdoors is going to be a big season to watch for me, personally,” Cyphers said.

Also scoring in the field was Andrew Grube, who jumped a distance of 6 feet, 4.25 inches in the long jump to finish in eighth place. Grube also teamed up with Paul Grafov, Patrick Farnham and Quinn Ryder in the 4×400 meter relay and combined for a time of 3:26.2, good for sixth place.

Another scoring relay squad for UMass was the distance medley quad of Grafov, Benjamin Groleau, Thomas Mullen and Antony Taylor, which finished in fourth place with a time of 10:09.31. Taylor also scored in the 3,000-meter run, finishing seventh with a time of 8:32.67.

Ryder and Stephen Bigelow rounded out the scoring in the short-distance events. Ryder ran the 60-meter dash in 7.13 seconds to come in eighth place, and Bigelow finished the 60-meter hurdles in 8.26 seconds, good for a fifth place finish.

O’Brien said he was a little disappointed in the team’s overall finish and thought they were just a couple of slightly better performances away from finishing higher.

“I was hoping we could be somewhere higher than that position and I thought maybe we had a pretty good shot for seventh (place),” O’Brien said. “Overall, I’m really not satisfied with that level of meet finish in a conference championship like that.”

The Minutemen next compete in the New England Championships on Friday. The team will be sending eight individuals and three relay squads to the event. The two-day event will start at 10 a.m. at Boston University.

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at jmayfiel@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @JGMS88.