UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Minutewomen run over by Richmond for 8th straight loss

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

Despite freshman Jasmine Harris’ career-high 19 points, the Massachusetts women’s basketball team had its losing skid extended to eight games, as it fell 81-63 at Richmond on Sunday afternoon.

UMass (3-21, 1-8 Atlantic 10) nearly dug itself out of an 11-0 hole to start the game, but the Spiders (13-13, 3-7 A-10) regained control and put the Minutewomen away in the second half.

Running a new motion-based offense, the underclassmen stole the show for UMass, and 47 points came off the bench.

UMass coach Sharon Dawley attributed the success of the new offense to the fight of her younger players.

“We’re encouraged by the play of the freshman class,” Dawley said. “I thought they did a really good job. They put together a new press, it’s kind of like the freshman press, and I think that helped get us back within striking distance.”

The Minutewomen trailed 11-0 to start the game and committed seven turnovers within the first six minutes of play, but an offensive turnaround sparked by Harris and freshman guard Adriana Jordan helped the cut the deficit to 22-18 halfway through the first frame.

Harris, who believes she put out her best performance to date, said her inspiration was simply to help her team in any way she could.

“When we came out (down) 11-0, the whole team was working hard to fight back and I was working hard with my teammates,” Harris said. “I think we were all just more aggressive looking to the basket, looking to score. We’re a team of fighters.”

While Harris and Jordan led UMass in scoring before halftime, junior guards Becca Wann and Kristina King led Richmond, combining for 18 points in the first half.

King finished with 17 points to lead the Spiders, along with redshirt senior guard Rachael Bilney’s 16.

The Minutewomen failed to climb back from a 14-point hole at the start of the second half, as Richmond’s lead reached 22 with less than five minutes to go.

While unhappy with the outcome, Dawley cited clutch freshman play as a bright spot that she expects to continue this season.

“It’s encouraging seeing that (output),” Dawley said. “Moving forward, we’ll just keep playing the young guys and expect the veterans to fight for their minutes back and make some shots in order to get their minutes back.”

Dawley believes the chemistry between the younger players is because of a common playing philosophy, focused on motion.

Compared with veteran players who work better from set pieces, Dawley said her squad’s strategy depends on the group that is in play.

“It’s almost a tale of two teams,” Dawley said. “I don’t know if it’s better, but it suits certain kids more.”

Rhode Island, Charlotte up next

UMass finishes its road trip against Rhode Island on Tuesday afternoon, then returns home to Amherst for a tilt against Charlotte on Wednesday night.

But faced with an eight-game losing streak, Dawley is ready to change things up.

She said the next few games will be taken on with a tournament mindset.

The Rams (5-19, 0-9 A-10) are currently on a 13-game losing streak of their own, are led by freshman guard Tayra Melendez, who leads the team with 11 points per game.

Tuesday’s tip-off is set for 2 p.m. in Kingston, R.I.

Peter Cappiello can be reached at pcappiel@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Cappiello.

You must be logged in to post a comment.