UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

UMass tennis team battles injuries as season comes to an end -

Chaz Williams to compete in Portsmouth Invitational Tournament -

Putting the ‘new’ back into ‘news’ -

Kurt Cobain, remembered 20 years later -

Feist plays engaging, soulful show at the Calvin Theater -

UMass poll shows Coakley emerging as a frontrunner in upcoming election -

Rain washes out baseball, softball -

General Education courses should not be required -

Campus Perspectives: One year anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombings -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Boston Marathon: One year later -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Bostonian spirit prevails -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Minutewomen continue to show offensive improvement -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Overalls and whitewashed outfits trend in spring 2014 -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

UMass looks to continue to build confidence against non-conference opponents -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

UMass rowing overcomes food poisoning and earns gold at Knecht Cup -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lessons from the Marathon bombings -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Minutewomen run over by Richmond for 8th straight loss

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

Despite freshman Jasmine Harris’ career-high 19 points, the Massachusetts women’s basketball team had its losing skid extended to eight games, as it fell 81-63 at Richmond on Sunday afternoon.

UMass (3-21, 1-8 Atlantic 10) nearly dug itself out of an 11-0 hole to start the game, but the Spiders (13-13, 3-7 A-10) regained control and put the Minutewomen away in the second half.

Running a new motion-based offense, the underclassmen stole the show for UMass, and 47 points came off the bench.

UMass coach Sharon Dawley attributed the success of the new offense to the fight of her younger players.

“We’re encouraged by the play of the freshman class,” Dawley said. “I thought they did a really good job. They put together a new press, it’s kind of like the freshman press, and I think that helped get us back within striking distance.”

The Minutewomen trailed 11-0 to start the game and committed seven turnovers within the first six minutes of play, but an offensive turnaround sparked by Harris and freshman guard Adriana Jordan helped the cut the deficit to 22-18 halfway through the first frame.

Harris, who believes she put out her best performance to date, said her inspiration was simply to help her team in any way she could.

“When we came out (down) 11-0, the whole team was working hard to fight back and I was working hard with my teammates,” Harris said. “I think we were all just more aggressive looking to the basket, looking to score. We’re a team of fighters.”

While Harris and Jordan led UMass in scoring before halftime, junior guards Becca Wann and Kristina King led Richmond, combining for 18 points in the first half.

King finished with 17 points to lead the Spiders, along with redshirt senior guard Rachael Bilney’s 16.

The Minutewomen failed to climb back from a 14-point hole at the start of the second half, as Richmond’s lead reached 22 with less than five minutes to go.

While unhappy with the outcome, Dawley cited clutch freshman play as a bright spot that she expects to continue this season.

“It’s encouraging seeing that (output),” Dawley said. “Moving forward, we’ll just keep playing the young guys and expect the veterans to fight for their minutes back and make some shots in order to get their minutes back.”

Dawley believes the chemistry between the younger players is because of a common playing philosophy, focused on motion.

Compared with veteran players who work better from set pieces, Dawley said her squad’s strategy depends on the group that is in play.

“It’s almost a tale of two teams,” Dawley said. “I don’t know if it’s better, but it suits certain kids more.”

Rhode Island, Charlotte up next

UMass finishes its road trip against Rhode Island on Tuesday afternoon, then returns home to Amherst for a tilt against Charlotte on Wednesday night.

But faced with an eight-game losing streak, Dawley is ready to change things up.

She said the next few games will be taken on with a tournament mindset.

The Rams (5-19, 0-9 A-10) are currently on a 13-game losing streak of their own, are led by freshman guard Tayra Melendez, who leads the team with 11 points per game.

Tuesday’s tip-off is set for 2 p.m. in Kingston, R.I.

Peter Cappiello can be reached at pcappiel@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Cappiello.