UMass students show lackluster attitude toward ‘Mullins Live!’ concert -

UMass women’s basketball loses in first round of Atlantic 10 Tournament -

Ryan Adams perfects his melancholy, widescreen take on 80s heartland rock on ‘Prisoner’ -

Exposing the horrific crime of modern-day slavery -

UMass men’s basketball successfully drops La Salle 84-71 in confidence-building win -

UMass men’s lacrosse’s late rally falls short against Harvard -

UMass women’s lacrosse struggles to find offense in loss to No. 5 Syracuse -

With Perez, Democrats remain in limbo -

UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

UMass system spends over $597 million for research

Flickr/401(K) 2013

For the third straight year, the University of Massachusetts system spent in excess of $500 million in research and development in the fiscal year 2012, a University release said.

The system’s R&D financial statements were presented during a meeting with UMass President Robert L. Caret and the UMass Board of Trustees’ Committee on Science, Technology and Research.

“As a world-class research university, faculty and students on all five of our campuses are engaged in scientific discovery that impacts the lives of the people in this state and around the globe,’’ Caret said in the release.

After hitting a spending mark of $489 million in FY 2009, an 11 percent gain put the UMass system over $500 million for the first time in 2010, spending $542.6 million. Growth shrunk to 8.1 percent the following year, spending $586.7 million and went down to 1.8 percent to reach the $597 million mark this past year.

Caret acknowledged his excitement at the numbers given the world’s economic climate. However, he also expressed caution going forward as the federal government continues to debate the automatic spending cuts which were delayed as part of the fiscal cliff negotiations that rung in the new year.

“(Student and faculty) research and rate of discovery will definitely be affected if these cuts take place,” Caret said. “Our great hope is for a resolution to the federal budget impasse.’’

The sequester cuts would take a slice out of the UMass system’s research budget as it would require shrinking the funding of all federal agencies by 8 percent. As much as three quarters of the budget is supported by federal researching grants and Caret believes that should the cuts go into effect, the University will stand to lose $32 million in federal contributions, according to the release.

“We realize that the halcyon days of 2009 when the federal government invested heavily in research and development may be over,” Caret said. “Our worry going forward is that this growth will be substantially slowed, which would have devastating consequences for the Commonwealth and the country as a whole.”

The Amherst campus spent the second-most for research funding in FY 2012 at $194.8 million. The medical branch in Worcester spent $256.1 million and Lowell and Boston consumed $60.6 million and $60.1 million, respectively. The Dartmouth campus spent $22.7 million and the system’s central office sunk $3.1 million into research efforts as well.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at jokerman@student.umass.edu.