Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Evaluating the Boston Celtics at the trade deadline

MCT

As the armchair general managers and rabid sports radio callers amp up their intensity this week, Danny Ainge will remain very much in the background. Many will demand ludicrous trades while others will defend the current Boston Celtics roster.

National writers figure to focus prominently on the Celtics due to the team’s unique position at the trade deadline.

But Ainge, in his truest fashion, will spend the next week frantically denying trade rumors while concocting all types of trade proposals behind the scenes. It’s become a recent tradition in Boston: The trade deadline rolls around, fans clamor for moves and Ainge is faced with the impossible task of improving a team which often lacks sufficient assets, while maintaining a roster capable of being a dangerous playoff contender.

Two seasons ago, Ainge shocked Boston by trading away defensive stalwart Kendrick Perkins. Last year’s shortened season saw Ainge do nothing at the deadline, despite a poor start.

So what should Celtics fans expect this year?

It’s imperative that Celtics fans do what they must to fight off fantasy trades and wild, elaborate schemes. What is often lost as the deadline looms closer, is a sense of realism. Often, fans confuse wants and needs, necessities and luxuries.

This year is no different.

The popular name as of now is Josh Smith. A week ago, Dwight Howard dominated trade rumors (shocking, I know). All the while, the threat of a Kevin Garnett or Paul Pierce departure remains.

Realistically, you shouldn’t hold your breath over Smith. It feels as if this is the third year running that the 9-year Atlanta Hawk veteran been linked to Boston; yet the outcome will most likely stay the same.

Smith isn’t a natural fit in Boston. His combination of ill-advised shots and unfortunate brain cramps don’t fly with Doc Rivers’ selfless system. Couple that with Smith’s imminent free agency, and the Celtics simply don’t have the means to acquire or afford him.

The same goes for Howard. On the verge of a max contract, Howard likely wouldn’t stick around in Boston. Fortunately, we don’t have to worry about this rumor due to Rajon Rondo’s season-ending ACL tear.

So what do the Celtics have to offer?

Of the healthy, useful assets (sorry Fab Melo), the Boston has limited options. There is the potential of trading Garnett, but that would hinge upon whether or not Garnett could be persuaded to waive his no-trade clause. A deal of Garnett for Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan of the Los Angeles Clippers is a realistic, potentially franchise altering trade.

Unless Ainge decides to go all-in on Smith, Pierce won’t be changing uniforms. And neither will Avery Bradley.

That leaves Jeff Green, Jason Terry, Courtney Lee and Brandon Bass as the only useful talent left. If Ainge can find some way to bundle what’s left of his bench in turn for a prominent scorer, more power to him; but as of now, the trade deadline looks bleak.

There are certainly options out there. J.J Redick is an intriguing name that has been tossed around, for example. Redick is due for a multi-year contract in the offseason, and could provide help to a contender, rather than toiling away on a horrendous Orlando Magic squad. Perhaps Ainge will look for a rental in the form of Monta Ellis or Paul Millsap, although, both the Milwaukee Bucks and Utah Jazz would command reasonably talented players in return, respectively.

The Celtics could also go the buyout route too, much like they did with Troy Murphy two years ago.

Ainge has a penchant for making the blockbuster move. Knowing this, Celtics fans will be forced to go through this week on red alert.

But with the options in place now, it’s likely that Boston will sit tight through the trade deadline, content to ride out the season with what they have.

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@student.umass.edu and followed on twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.

One Response to “Evaluating the Boston Celtics at the trade deadline”
  1. Jeremy says:

Any thoughts on the Crawford trade?

You must be logged in to post a comment.