Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Rec Center offers cardio classes for beginners and experts

Hannah Cohen/Collegian File Photo

Sometimes, it is fun to mix up your exercise routine. After all, running on a treadmill by yourself can get old after a while. An easy way to add in a little variety is to partake in one free exercise classed offered at the University of Massachusetts Recreation Center every week.

The Rec Center offers over 20 fitness classes that fall under the categories of core and strength, dance, mind and body, spinning, and high impact cardio. High impact cardio classes can be intimidating to many students, as the promise of a pounding heartbeat and lots of sweat can be daunting. But a little known secret is that that Rec Center classes are offered at a range of difficulty levels.

So if you are looking to start exercising or looking for a more difficult class, here is a breakdown of the cardio classes that may best fit your needs.

The Beginner

“Boot camp” is, admittedly, a scary phrase. When people hear of “boot camp,” they tend to think about military training, strict discipline, pain, testing the limits of human strength and, of course, pushups.

While the class called Boot Camp is not as extreme as your average military movie, it does demand plenty of pushups. The class – which is offered Mondays and Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. – runs in intervals. For one minute, participants push themselves as hard as they can. It may sound short, but when you are doing as many pushups as you can for one minute, it will feel like a lifetime. These exercises include strength, calisthenics and weight training. Taught by Maria Burden, this class is fun and is a great way to introduce yourself to the intense fitness courses offered at the Rec Center.

Intermediate

For the dedicated students who want an incredible workout and a team member experience, try the Cardio Kickboxing class at 6:30 a.m., Mondays through Fridays. This class will not only get you in shape, but it will lift your spirits.

The class incorporates elements of kickboxing, martial arts and body conditioning.  It is choreographed to fast-paced, fun music and the steps are easy to catch on to. In addition to the workout, the instructor, Meghan Trowbridge, is always pushing you to be the best you can be. During the vigorous class, her pep talks will keep you in high spirits. At the end of each class, Trowbridge gives a short speech where she offers words of encouragement during a period of meditation.

Despite the early morning time, Trowbridge has a dedicated following. So be sure to get there on time if you want to snag a spot.

Not a morning person? There are several other instructors who teach cardio kickboxing at the gym as well.

People of every active level are recommended to try this class, because no matter whose class you choose it’s sure to be a knockout.

Advanced

A class for the truly active student is Tabata, instructed by Jenn Konjoian every Saturday at noon.  Tabata is new this semester and is sure to leave you with the best pain possible.

While Boot Camp has one minute of exercise with a short rest in between, Tabata has the “Tabata Sequence.” This means you do 20-second bursts of intense exercise with 10-second breaks in between. Each exercise interval lasts for around eight minutes, and the entire class is an hour long.

This is one of the toughest classes offered at the Rec Center. It’s perfect for someone who wants to take on an insane challenge in a fun group setting.

Kayla Marchetti can be reached kmarchet@student.umass.edu.