UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

A Men’s Guide to Hats

Flickr/Salihan Laugesen

Hats are a winter essential for men. Whether you are a guy with a shaved head or a long head of hair, a hat can keep your noggin warm and protected from the cold temperatures and heavy winds of an Amherst winter.

Hats come in all sorts of shapes and styles. One of the most basic styles is the beanie, which can be worn loosely and far back on the head for a more hipster look or covering the forehead and ears for added warmth. California-based Neff Headwear offers a wide selection of beanies in bold colors and unique styles, such as the Vanilla White Cupcake Beanie ($29.95 at Zumies skate and clothes shop), which looks exactly how you might imagine. A cheaper alternative (and personal favorite) is the Merona Men’s Knit Hat, available at Target for just $4.

Snapback hats are another great look that has gained popularity since replacing fitted caps as a staple item in the hip-hop community. They come in a huge array of styles. Most sports teams sell a snapback on their team website, and many of them feature throwback styles, like the Patriots’ New Era Throwback 9Fifty Gamer Snap Cap ($29.95 at proshop.patriots.com). Some even feature cartoon characters, like Finn and Jake from Adventure Time ($19.99 at Newbury Comics). Urban Outfitters is another great place to find snapbacks in striking prints and styles from brands like Obey and Stussy.

Five-panel hats are a different approach to the snapback trend, with a more relaxed, comfortable fit and often made with soft flannel. FairEnds has a selection of interesting prints in both bright and neutral colors, ranging from $46 to $75 (fairends.com). To really stand out from the crowd, check out Urban Outfitters’ leopard print, world map and “Where’s Waldo” five-panels, each $24 at urbanoutfitters.com.

For a classic look, albeit one that’s harder to pull off, you can look for a fedora, found in many different patterns and colors. The Brixton “Jones” Fedora ($50 at nordstrom.com) features a feather and a look similar to the fedoras Bruno Mars is often seen wearing in his videos and performances. If you are on a tighter budget, the classic Rat Pack look can still be achieved for just $12 at K-Mart. Fedoras might not be an everyday look, so try one on in the store with a suit or blazer and maybe you’ll find a great look for a special occasion.

Last but not least, trapper hats are a winter classic, and have been updated with a range of new styles in the past few seasons. They feature ear flaps to keep your ears fully protected, and often include buttons or ties to hold these flaps up when they aren’t needed. You can score the traditional red plaid look with the Yukon Red Buffalo Plaid Gray Fur Hat ($30 at target.com) or go full fur with the Lewis Faux Fur Trapper Hat, $36 at djpremium.com.

This winter, be bold and keep warm without the standard baseball cap or pom-pom knit hat. A unique hat can serve a practical purpose and help you to stand apart from the pack.

Jake Reed can be reached at jaker@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “A Men’s Guide to Hats”
  1. Jenn says:

Beanies seem to have really been gaining in popularity the past few years. Thankfully there is much more of a selection today in styles and colours than when I was younger.