BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Men’s Guide to Hats

Flickr/Salihan Laugesen

Hats are a winter essential for men. Whether you are a guy with a shaved head or a long head of hair, a hat can keep your noggin warm and protected from the cold temperatures and heavy winds of an Amherst winter.

Hats come in all sorts of shapes and styles. One of the most basic styles is the beanie, which can be worn loosely and far back on the head for a more hipster look or covering the forehead and ears for added warmth. California-based Neff Headwear offers a wide selection of beanies in bold colors and unique styles, such as the Vanilla White Cupcake Beanie ($29.95 at Zumies skate and clothes shop), which looks exactly how you might imagine. A cheaper alternative (and personal favorite) is the Merona Men’s Knit Hat, available at Target for just $4.

Snapback hats are another great look that has gained popularity since replacing fitted caps as a staple item in the hip-hop community. They come in a huge array of styles. Most sports teams sell a snapback on their team website, and many of them feature throwback styles, like the Patriots’ New Era Throwback 9Fifty Gamer Snap Cap ($29.95 at proshop.patriots.com). Some even feature cartoon characters, like Finn and Jake from Adventure Time ($19.99 at Newbury Comics). Urban Outfitters is another great place to find snapbacks in striking prints and styles from brands like Obey and Stussy.

Five-panel hats are a different approach to the snapback trend, with a more relaxed, comfortable fit and often made with soft flannel. FairEnds has a selection of interesting prints in both bright and neutral colors, ranging from $46 to $75 (fairends.com). To really stand out from the crowd, check out Urban Outfitters’ leopard print, world map and “Where’s Waldo” five-panels, each $24 at urbanoutfitters.com.

For a classic look, albeit one that’s harder to pull off, you can look for a fedora, found in many different patterns and colors. The Brixton “Jones” Fedora ($50 at nordstrom.com) features a feather and a look similar to the fedoras Bruno Mars is often seen wearing in his videos and performances. If you are on a tighter budget, the classic Rat Pack look can still be achieved for just $12 at K-Mart. Fedoras might not be an everyday look, so try one on in the store with a suit or blazer and maybe you’ll find a great look for a special occasion.

Last but not least, trapper hats are a winter classic, and have been updated with a range of new styles in the past few seasons. They feature ear flaps to keep your ears fully protected, and often include buttons or ties to hold these flaps up when they aren’t needed. You can score the traditional red plaid look with the Yukon Red Buffalo Plaid Gray Fur Hat ($30 at target.com) or go full fur with the Lewis Faux Fur Trapper Hat, $36 at djpremium.com.

This winter, be bold and keep warm without the standard baseball cap or pom-pom knit hat. A unique hat can serve a practical purpose and help you to stand apart from the pack.

Jake Reed can be reached at jaker@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “A Men’s Guide to Hats”
  1. Jenn says:

Beanies seem to have really been gaining in popularity the past few years. Thankfully there is much more of a selection today in styles and colours than when I was younger.