SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

A Men’s Guide to Hats

Flickr/Salihan Laugesen

Hats are a winter essential for men. Whether you are a guy with a shaved head or a long head of hair, a hat can keep your noggin warm and protected from the cold temperatures and heavy winds of an Amherst winter.

Hats come in all sorts of shapes and styles. One of the most basic styles is the beanie, which can be worn loosely and far back on the head for a more hipster look or covering the forehead and ears for added warmth. California-based Neff Headwear offers a wide selection of beanies in bold colors and unique styles, such as the Vanilla White Cupcake Beanie ($29.95 at Zumies skate and clothes shop), which looks exactly how you might imagine. A cheaper alternative (and personal favorite) is the Merona Men’s Knit Hat, available at Target for just $4.

Snapback hats are another great look that has gained popularity since replacing fitted caps as a staple item in the hip-hop community. They come in a huge array of styles. Most sports teams sell a snapback on their team website, and many of them feature throwback styles, like the Patriots’ New Era Throwback 9Fifty Gamer Snap Cap ($29.95 at proshop.patriots.com). Some even feature cartoon characters, like Finn and Jake from Adventure Time ($19.99 at Newbury Comics). Urban Outfitters is another great place to find snapbacks in striking prints and styles from brands like Obey and Stussy.

Five-panel hats are a different approach to the snapback trend, with a more relaxed, comfortable fit and often made with soft flannel. FairEnds has a selection of interesting prints in both bright and neutral colors, ranging from $46 to $75 (fairends.com). To really stand out from the crowd, check out Urban Outfitters’ leopard print, world map and “Where’s Waldo” five-panels, each $24 at urbanoutfitters.com.

For a classic look, albeit one that’s harder to pull off, you can look for a fedora, found in many different patterns and colors. The Brixton “Jones” Fedora ($50 at nordstrom.com) features a feather and a look similar to the fedoras Bruno Mars is often seen wearing in his videos and performances. If you are on a tighter budget, the classic Rat Pack look can still be achieved for just $12 at K-Mart. Fedoras might not be an everyday look, so try one on in the store with a suit or blazer and maybe you’ll find a great look for a special occasion.

Last but not least, trapper hats are a winter classic, and have been updated with a range of new styles in the past few seasons. They feature ear flaps to keep your ears fully protected, and often include buttons or ties to hold these flaps up when they aren’t needed. You can score the traditional red plaid look with the Yukon Red Buffalo Plaid Gray Fur Hat ($30 at target.com) or go full fur with the Lewis Faux Fur Trapper Hat, $36 at djpremium.com.

This winter, be bold and keep warm without the standard baseball cap or pom-pom knit hat. A unique hat can serve a practical purpose and help you to stand apart from the pack.

Jake Reed can be reached at jaker@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “A Men’s Guide to Hats”
  1. Jenn says:

Beanies seem to have really been gaining in popularity the past few years. Thankfully there is much more of a selection today in styles and colours than when I was younger.

You must be logged in to post a comment.