For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Law and order, UMass style -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hillel fails to represent all Jewish students -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse aims another perfect conference record against Duquesne -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass heads home to take on Albany -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Coming off weekend victory, UMass softball prepares for series against St. Josephs -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

‘The Last Man on Earth?’ more like, ‘The Worst Show on Earth’ -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A new face for money -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass hopes to carry momentum into weekend series against VCU -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass Theatre Guild to present “Seussical” this weekend -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

UMass eyes the future of its athletics with the hiring of Athletic Director Ryan Bamford -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Derrick Gordon to transfer from UMass in search of more prominent role -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Local author and activist Don Ogden writes to make environmental change -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chiarelli: Football the center of attention Tuesday at Bamford’s hiring -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

MANNA soup kitchen continues to feed the local hungry in Northampton -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Dash & Dine race raises funds for Amherst Survival Center -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Letter: SGA to the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, and Auxiliary Services -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Defense is the key behind UMass men’s lacrosse’s winning streak -

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Men’s Guide to Hats

Flickr/Salihan Laugesen

Hats are a winter essential for men. Whether you are a guy with a shaved head or a long head of hair, a hat can keep your noggin warm and protected from the cold temperatures and heavy winds of an Amherst winter.

Hats come in all sorts of shapes and styles. One of the most basic styles is the beanie, which can be worn loosely and far back on the head for a more hipster look or covering the forehead and ears for added warmth. California-based Neff Headwear offers a wide selection of beanies in bold colors and unique styles, such as the Vanilla White Cupcake Beanie ($29.95 at Zumies skate and clothes shop), which looks exactly how you might imagine. A cheaper alternative (and personal favorite) is the Merona Men’s Knit Hat, available at Target for just $4.

Snapback hats are another great look that has gained popularity since replacing fitted caps as a staple item in the hip-hop community. They come in a huge array of styles. Most sports teams sell a snapback on their team website, and many of them feature throwback styles, like the Patriots’ New Era Throwback 9Fifty Gamer Snap Cap ($29.95 at proshop.patriots.com). Some even feature cartoon characters, like Finn and Jake from Adventure Time ($19.99 at Newbury Comics). Urban Outfitters is another great place to find snapbacks in striking prints and styles from brands like Obey and Stussy.

Five-panel hats are a different approach to the snapback trend, with a more relaxed, comfortable fit and often made with soft flannel. FairEnds has a selection of interesting prints in both bright and neutral colors, ranging from $46 to $75 (fairends.com). To really stand out from the crowd, check out Urban Outfitters’ leopard print, world map and “Where’s Waldo” five-panels, each $24 at urbanoutfitters.com.

For a classic look, albeit one that’s harder to pull off, you can look for a fedora, found in many different patterns and colors. The Brixton “Jones” Fedora ($50 at nordstrom.com) features a feather and a look similar to the fedoras Bruno Mars is often seen wearing in his videos and performances. If you are on a tighter budget, the classic Rat Pack look can still be achieved for just $12 at K-Mart. Fedoras might not be an everyday look, so try one on in the store with a suit or blazer and maybe you’ll find a great look for a special occasion.

Last but not least, trapper hats are a winter classic, and have been updated with a range of new styles in the past few seasons. They feature ear flaps to keep your ears fully protected, and often include buttons or ties to hold these flaps up when they aren’t needed. You can score the traditional red plaid look with the Yukon Red Buffalo Plaid Gray Fur Hat ($30 at target.com) or go full fur with the Lewis Faux Fur Trapper Hat, $36 at djpremium.com.

This winter, be bold and keep warm without the standard baseball cap or pom-pom knit hat. A unique hat can serve a practical purpose and help you to stand apart from the pack.

Jake Reed can be reached at jaker@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “A Men’s Guide to Hats”
  1. Jenn says:

Beanies seem to have really been gaining in popularity the past few years. Thankfully there is much more of a selection today in styles and colours than when I was younger.