UMass football blown out in all phases against Penn State -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Penn State rushes over UMass football 48-7 -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Luke Pavone jumpstarts UMass men’s soccer’s comeback effort in win over Fairfield -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer earns first win of the season in emotional home opener -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Ed Davis report leaves nobody blameless -

Friday, September 19, 2014

White House starts public awareness drive to prevent sexual attacks on campus -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Career Blast connects employers with students

Hannah Cohen/Collegian

Throngs of students looking to connect with a wide range of businesses brought resumes and personal schedules to the Campus Center yesterday for the University of Massachusetts’s fourth annual Career Blast. Students hoped to secure call-backs and interviews for a variety of job offerings, ranging from full-time positions to summer internships.

Organized by Career Services, the Career Blast hosted 145 businesses in and around the Campus Center Auditorium and gave interested students an opportunity to meet with representatives from a variety of businesses, from large global corporations to smaller local companies.

The Career Blast has grown  since last year, with the number of businesses participating increasing from 98 last year to 145 businesses this year. A variety of different kinds of businesses were represented, ranging from large, global companies like MGM and Amazon.com to smaller local organizations, like Amherst-Pelham public schools and to non-profit organizations like the U.S. Political Initiative Research Group. Many businesses listed specific majors in their scope for potential connections, but most simply listed “all majors.”

“We’ve seen a lot of consistency, a lot of new companies and a lot of representation of many different industries,” Brian Frenette, assistant director of Field Experience at Career Services, said. “I think this trend shows the direction the market is heading.”

Many of the companies at the Career Blast said they chose to come to UMass because the large student population tends to yield a high number of qualified candidates for open positions in many different fields, from computer programming to marketing to technical writing. Many businesses, like IBM, are attracted by the school’s strong reputation in computer science.

“For several years UMass has provided us with many top-performing employees,” Lorcan MacGrath, First Line Manager for IBM, said. MacGrath also represented the company at UMass at last year’s Career Blast. “We have about 15 to 20 people from UMass working for us who we connected with at the career fairs here … and I would say that well over half of those people would be classified as ‘high-performing employees.’”

Smaller businesses, like the Pioneer Valley based independent game company HitPoint Studios, also draws from the large number of students at UMass to fill its open entry-level positions. For smaller companies like HitPoint, which has about 50 full-time employees, the goal is finding the right people to fill its few open positions.

“While we look for people who have a strong background in game design and programming, what we really want a potential employee to demonstrate is passion doing what we do: making games,” HitPoint’s Human Resources Director Christina Gay said.

For students, the Career Blast is a chance to get resumes in the hands of potential employers. Many are looking for full or part-time positions after graduation, while others seek summer internships and co-ops.

Conor Snell can be reached a csnell@student.umass.edu