VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

Mix some mint into your wardrobe

Associated Press

Whether you thought Katy Perry sizzled or floundered in the fitted mint green number she wore to the Grammys earlier this month, her dress is just one example of the onslaught of pastel quickly becoming the latest trend for the spring.

Mint green, the most popular shade of pastel this season, is being whisked off the runway and into local stores as a must-have to stay in the fashionable loop.

The color ranges from creamy and whimsical to bolder and brighter shades, which can make it cumbersome to find its place in your wardrobe. Incorporating this shade can create a chaotic, messy look, but it can also be a great way to spice things up for the spring season. The key is to start small, open yourself up to experimenting with new colors and stray away from incorporating too much of a bold shade.

You can start by adding an accessory as an accent piece if your wardrobe feels drab. Pops of color can always do the extra leg work in making an ensemble more interesting. A mint green clutch, head band, beret, scarf, bracelet, or a pair of earrings can help test the waters.

Makeup can also be a tool for the adventurous. Nail color can be worn daily and provide a more conservative approach to help you decide which shade of green suits your taste. Eye shadow is also a way to find which shade fits your skin tone, and it’s something you can just brush on to complete your look for the day.

If you want to boldly rock the creamy shade, then try standard pieces – anything in your closet that can be worn on a regular basis. For example, a mint blazer can be layered with other pastel colors like purple or cream for a soft look.  For something grittier, try mixing in grungy pieces. A mint green top can be made a little tougher with a combat boot or motorcycle jacket. You can also glam up your look by adding gold or silver to the mix.

Other pieces in this shade that may come in handy are flat-soled shoes, suede heels to revamp your little black dress, or a sheer top to pair with your favorite pair of jeans or leggings.

Try color blocking if you’re fearless, but be mindful: pairing this shade with another bright color can be overpowering. Staying away from neon colors especially will save you trouble.

On the other hand, anything too dull will also make your look fall flat. Wearing too many dark browns and grays will distract as well – instead, try tones like nude or mauve. Mint looks best when accompanied by pieces that don’t compete with it.

As always, trends come and go with the seasons. Find the pieces that you find meaningful – this will do more in the long run than rushing out to acquire the latest trends.

Nia Decaille can be reached at ndecaill@student.umass.edu.