UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Mix some mint into your wardrobe

Associated Press

Whether you thought Katy Perry sizzled or floundered in the fitted mint green number she wore to the Grammys earlier this month, her dress is just one example of the onslaught of pastel quickly becoming the latest trend for the spring.

Mint green, the most popular shade of pastel this season, is being whisked off the runway and into local stores as a must-have to stay in the fashionable loop.

The color ranges from creamy and whimsical to bolder and brighter shades, which can make it cumbersome to find its place in your wardrobe. Incorporating this shade can create a chaotic, messy look, but it can also be a great way to spice things up for the spring season. The key is to start small, open yourself up to experimenting with new colors and stray away from incorporating too much of a bold shade.

You can start by adding an accessory as an accent piece if your wardrobe feels drab. Pops of color can always do the extra leg work in making an ensemble more interesting. A mint green clutch, head band, beret, scarf, bracelet, or a pair of earrings can help test the waters.

Makeup can also be a tool for the adventurous. Nail color can be worn daily and provide a more conservative approach to help you decide which shade of green suits your taste. Eye shadow is also a way to find which shade fits your skin tone, and it’s something you can just brush on to complete your look for the day.

If you want to boldly rock the creamy shade, then try standard pieces – anything in your closet that can be worn on a regular basis. For example, a mint blazer can be layered with other pastel colors like purple or cream for a soft look.  For something grittier, try mixing in grungy pieces. A mint green top can be made a little tougher with a combat boot or motorcycle jacket. You can also glam up your look by adding gold or silver to the mix.

Other pieces in this shade that may come in handy are flat-soled shoes, suede heels to revamp your little black dress, or a sheer top to pair with your favorite pair of jeans or leggings.

Try color blocking if you’re fearless, but be mindful: pairing this shade with another bright color can be overpowering. Staying away from neon colors especially will save you trouble.

On the other hand, anything too dull will also make your look fall flat. Wearing too many dark browns and grays will distract as well – instead, try tones like nude or mauve. Mint looks best when accompanied by pieces that don’t compete with it.

As always, trends come and go with the seasons. Find the pieces that you find meaningful – this will do more in the long run than rushing out to acquire the latest trends.

Nia Decaille can be reached at ndecaill@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.