Demetrius Dyson to transfer from UMass basketball -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Delaware 10-9 in regular season finale -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brett Anton stands tall against UMass men’s lacrosse, Minutemen stumble into playoffs -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises toward regular season A-10 championship with win over Richmond -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass softball hits the road for big test at Dayton -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Long-time campus radio host banned from WMUA, status of station adviser unclear -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrating 125 years at the Daily Collegian -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

SGA expresses support for Survivor’s Bill of Rights -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass blanked by Boston College in Beanpot Championship -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Second annual yogathon stresses Earth Day ideals to individuals -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Minutemen look to clinch postseason berth Friday night -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

‘Veep’ returns to HBO in top form -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Letter: UMass should not require parking permits after 5 p.m. next year -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

With Atlantic 10s looming, UMass hosts its Pre-Conference meet -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

What the Collegian means to us… -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Fox’s new 10-part mystery show looks promising -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass takes a leap into the world of big data -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse seeks redemption for last year’s Delaware loss -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Friday’s Stand Against Racism events aim to ‘create positive change’ -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Benevolent sexism: a devil in disguise -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Mix some mint into your wardrobe

Associated Press

Whether you thought Katy Perry sizzled or floundered in the fitted mint green number she wore to the Grammys earlier this month, her dress is just one example of the onslaught of pastel quickly becoming the latest trend for the spring.

Mint green, the most popular shade of pastel this season, is being whisked off the runway and into local stores as a must-have to stay in the fashionable loop.

The color ranges from creamy and whimsical to bolder and brighter shades, which can make it cumbersome to find its place in your wardrobe. Incorporating this shade can create a chaotic, messy look, but it can also be a great way to spice things up for the spring season. The key is to start small, open yourself up to experimenting with new colors and stray away from incorporating too much of a bold shade.

You can start by adding an accessory as an accent piece if your wardrobe feels drab. Pops of color can always do the extra leg work in making an ensemble more interesting. A mint green clutch, head band, beret, scarf, bracelet, or a pair of earrings can help test the waters.

Makeup can also be a tool for the adventurous. Nail color can be worn daily and provide a more conservative approach to help you decide which shade of green suits your taste. Eye shadow is also a way to find which shade fits your skin tone, and it’s something you can just brush on to complete your look for the day.

If you want to boldly rock the creamy shade, then try standard pieces – anything in your closet that can be worn on a regular basis. For example, a mint blazer can be layered with other pastel colors like purple or cream for a soft look.  For something grittier, try mixing in grungy pieces. A mint green top can be made a little tougher with a combat boot or motorcycle jacket. You can also glam up your look by adding gold or silver to the mix.

Other pieces in this shade that may come in handy are flat-soled shoes, suede heels to revamp your little black dress, or a sheer top to pair with your favorite pair of jeans or leggings.

Try color blocking if you’re fearless, but be mindful: pairing this shade with another bright color can be overpowering. Staying away from neon colors especially will save you trouble.

On the other hand, anything too dull will also make your look fall flat. Wearing too many dark browns and grays will distract as well – instead, try tones like nude or mauve. Mint looks best when accompanied by pieces that don’t compete with it.

As always, trends come and go with the seasons. Find the pieces that you find meaningful – this will do more in the long run than rushing out to acquire the latest trends.

Nia Decaille can be reached at ndecaill@student.umass.edu.