UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Cady Lalanne puts whole package together in win over Dayton

In losses to Temple and then St. Bonaventure last week, Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg wasn’t happy with Cady Lalanne’s energy.

Sure, the sophomore center had dominated the first half of each of those games – scoring 12 points in the first 20 minutes of each contest – but it was clear that, whether it be fatigue or trying to fight through pain, Lalanne couldn’t quite carry over that intensity to the second half.

But after Saturday’s win over Dayton, consider Kellogg pleased.

Cade Belisle/Collegian

In perhaps his finest performance yet as a Minuteman, Lalanne put the entire package together as he finished with a career-high 22 points – including going 8-for-9 from the free throw line – and added 14 rebounds in a career-high 35 minutes to help lift the Minutemen in their 76-66 victory over the Flyers.

“Probably the best big guy we’ve played all season,” Dayton coach Archie Miller said of Lalanne. “It was a dominating performance, he completely controlled the game with his performance on the glass, 8-for-9 from the foul line. I give him a lot of credit.”

After making his first start since Dec. 1 in Wednesday’s loss to the Bonnies, Kellogg gave Lalanne the starting nod again Saturday. And from the jump, the big man began his dominating performance, scoring the first points of the game on a layup on his way to a game-high 12 first-half points and seven rebounds.

But there was still a case of ‘remains to be seen’ with Lalanne, who had struggled all season long to play well in big minutes. After offseason foot surgery, it’s been a long road back not only to get his foot healthy, but also get back into game shape.

That was all too apparent in the losses to Temple and SBU. After scoring 12 points in the first half of both of those games, Lalanne’s endurance couldn’t help him mirror those numbers in the final 20 minutes. He scored 0 points in the second half against the Owls and then only managed four against the Bonnies while getting into foul trouble.

But Saturday’s version of Lalanne didn’t look like those. He scored 10 points, grabbed seven more rebounds and played every minute of the second half as he looked every bit as dominant as his coaches and teammates expect him to be.

Kellogg said he had thoughts of taking Lalanne out, but ultimately decided not to.

“I had it going through my head about four or five times to get him out for a blow and then I just went with my gut instincts and said forget it, he’s going to mature real fast this game,” Kellogg said. “He’s going to learn how to play hard for 35 minutes.”

Lalanne said it was important for him to have a strong second half, especially after not doing so in his last two games.

“I was a little disappointed in myself too because I thought I should have brought a little more energy in the second half,” he said. “But (Kellogg) got to me and said I have to play harder in this second half than the first half.”

Not only were his teammates looking for him in the post, but Lalanne’s play was also crucial in UMass’ ability to gain extra possessions. Kellogg said one of the keys of the Minutemen’s performance to close the game down the stretch was Lalanne’s ability to grab offensive rebounds and convert them into points.

With 3:35 left in the game, Lalanne cleaned up a missed layup from Raphiael Putney and eventually made two free throws out of it to increase the UMass lead to four. Then, after a Freddie Riley missed jumper, Lalanne got the rebound, got fouled and converted two free throws to extend the lead to six points with 2:53 remaining.

Lalanne finished with seven offensive rebounds, and Kellogg doesn’t think he’s even reached his ceiling yet.

“I actually think he’s still has another gear or two that he can play at,” he said.

Chaz Williams agreed.

“Twenty and 20 guy, every night,” Williams said. “That’s what I expect from him.”

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.