Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Man Man to bring cheeky shenanigans to Pearl Street

Experimental indie rock experience Man Man will be bringing its vaudevillian show to the Pearl Street Night Club in Northampton this Wednesday night as the group makes the rounds on its U.S. tour.

The show promises to be a spectacular affair after the band’s performance in Northampton last year, in which the crowd became so riled up that venue managers stopped the show and demanded that concert-goers settle down or they would shut the show down. These threats were coupled with bouncers being posted in front of the tiny stage, but it was still barely enough to contain the show as Man Man pumped Pearl Street full of its theatrical and energetic antics.

Currently, the band consists of pianist and lead singer Honus Honus (Ryan Kattner), drummer Pow Pow (Christopher Powell), and multi-instrumentalists T. Moth (Turkey Moth aka Jamey Robinson), Chang Wang (Billy Dufala) and Jefferson. T. Moth, Chang Wang and Jefferson tend to rotate on the xylophone, supporting keyboard, saxophone and guitar and sometimes bass. They are all incredibly well-versed in the ways of showmanship, producing myriad of vocals from death growls to Mariah Carey-esque falsettos all while supporting Honus’ Tom Waits-like gruff tones.

The band’s shenanigans typically involve kazoos, feather boas, cross-dressing, confetti galore and occasionally passing instruments out to audience members for a little crowd participatory fun. The shows are essentially musical circuses and their riot of a ringleader Honus Honus easily channels the energy of his bandmates to deliver a downright electric performance, despite the calmness of the latest album, “Life Fantastic.”

“Life Fantastic,” which came out in 2011, is a departure from the band’s  prior albums. With a very focused, dark sound that’s much more doom-wop than doo-wop, the album features troubled lyrics such as, “You should always run with a loaded gun in your mouth.” Despite the somberness of this album, in an interview with The Inflatable Ferret Honus described “Life Fantastic” as the band’s “most beautiful record to date.” Man Man still manages to maintain an air of levity by supporting such dark lyrics with gypsy-jazz, some heavy honky-tonk piano and rousing jungle-drums.

Prior to “Life Fantastic,” Man Man released “Rabbit Habits” in 2008, a much more eclectic mix of songs in comparison. “Rabbit Habits” was predated by “Six Demon Bag,” which the band named in honor of the film “Big Trouble in Little China.“ The album features one of Man Man’s most popular pre-“Life Fantastic” era songs, “Engrish Bwudd,” a song that perfectly demonstrates just how whimsical one band can be in only three and a half minutes.

Man Man will be supported by co-headliner Murder by Death, a five piece indie-rock band from Indiana that will be accompanying Man Man for the duration of its tour, in addition to singer-songwriter and Oklahoma native Samantha Crain. The show will take place in the ballroom of the Pearl Street Night Club at 8 p.m. Tickets are still available for $15 in advance and $18 at the door.

Sabrina Amiri can be reached at samiri@student.umass.edu.