Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State and quarterback Christian Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Irish coffee recipe -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

To fight ISIS, US must understand them, not chalk up actions to pure evil -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass tennis is reloading, not rebuilding in 2014 -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Fast food workers need more than $7.25 to sustain basic living -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UPC to declare UMass’s Best Dance Crew this Thursday

Facebook

This Thursday at the Fine Arts Center, four student crews will square off in hopes of becoming  the University of Massachusetts’ Best Dance Crew.

The University Programming Council will be hosting the “UMass Best Dance Crew” event for the fourth year in a row. And while posters have been placed all around campus promoting the dance-off, they don’t truly begin to cover the ins and outs of this upcoming event.

Stage Crew Dance Team, Hip-Hop Culture Organization, the Dhadak Fusion Dance Team and the UMass Belly Dance Club are all competing in the event.  Any style of dance is permitted, and the crews have less than four minutes to perform their routines.

Judges critique the crews on a scale of 1-5 on a variety of categories. The crew with the highest score is declared champion and awarded a large three-tier trophy.

The judges are required to stay neutral. And according to Performing Arts Event Coordinator Samantha Santiago, the crews will be scored based on categories such as originality, creativity and synchronization.

This year’s competition, Santiago said, is expected to attract a larger crowd than previous years thanks to special guest dance crew Instant Noodles.  In previous years, time and spacing limited the event coordinator in tracking down a special guest, but this year Santiago was able to arrange for the well-known and highly specialized dance crew to make an appearance.

Instant Noodles is a crew from Los Angeles that made it to the final six in the sixth season of MTV’s “America’s Best Dance Crew.”  The group will be performing during judging periods and members themselves will be judging the final round.

“We’re excited to perform on such a great stage and that Instant Noodles will be there to cheer us on as the guest crew,” said Monica Gandhi, captain of Dhadak.

Dhadak won the event during its first and third year and, according to Gandhi, the group hopes to defend its title this year. Dhadak has been a crew for eight years and consists of eight dancers that will be appearing on stage this Thursday.

“Dhadak is unique in that we don’t have just one choreographer; everyone on the team has input … it’s eclectic, expressive, unique and diverse,” Gandhi said.

Hip-Hop Culture Organization won the event during its second year and, according to club captain Marco Chiang, the group has been together for two years.  The group has been rehearsing in preparation for Thursday’s competition for roughly four weeks and will have 12 to 15 members performing on stage.

“We share our love for hip-hop and break dancing indiscriminately and want others to realize the positive effects of dancing for the love of dancing,” Chiang said.

According to its captain Jacki Barzvi, the Belly Dancing Club performed in the event last year and looks forward to bringing its 50 performers to the stage this time. The crew has been rehearsing twice a week for a month.

“We have a great group of girls who just love to dance and you can definitely see it in our performance,” Barzvi said.

Among all four groups performing in Thursday’s competition, there is a mixture of excitement and nervousness, but a collective desire to share their passion and love for dance to the student population.

The idea for the event originated from Wing Lau and Stephanie Galgano four years ago.

“Because ‘America’s Best Dance Crew’ was pretty popular back then we felt that as performing arts (event coordinators) dance wasn’t very well promoted at UMass and we wanted to give students different types of exposure to arts other than just movies, concerts and lectures,” Lau said.

In past years, Santiago said, audience members have been able to go up onto the stage during the event and have gotten small prizes like T-shirts.  The Fine Arts Center has reconstructed some of its seating arrangements this year, which could impact whether students in the audience will be able to get on the stage.

“Every year this event seems to be a big hit.  Students come out to support their fellow students,” Santiago said.

Brittany Bowker can be reached at bbowker@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UPC to declare UMass’s Best Dance Crew this Thursday”
  1. brier says:

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My website is in the very same area of interest as yours and my users would really benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Thank you!