UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Victor Cruz talks football, future at UMass basketball game

Cade Belise/Collegian

He may not have been coming off a Super Bowl win, but Victor Cruz still received plenty of attention on Saturday afternoon at the Mullins Center.

The former Massachusetts football wide receiver, who just finished a Pro Bowl season with the New York Giants, took time out of a rather more relaxed offseason on Saturday to sit courtside and take in the UMass men’s basketball team’s victory over Dayton.

Last year, Cruz was all over headlines after he helped lead the Giants to a Super Bowl win. The undrafted receiver was suddenly a celebrity, signing endorsement deals, appearing on talk shows and eventually publishing a book. This year, he said, his offseason has been more laid-back. The Giants didn’t make the playoffs, which has allowed him to spend his extra time doing other things.

“I kind of get to calm down, just take things day by day and really focus on the things I want to do,” Cruz said to reporters during the early portion of the second half of Saturday’s game. “It’s a little bit different, but you always want to win that Super Bowl so hopefully we can go back and do that.”

Despite a more relaxed offseason, Cruz hasn’t been able to escape all the headlines. He will become a restricted free agent on March 12 if the Giants don’t sign him to a new contract before then, something he’d like to resolve as soon as possible.

“Hopefully we can end that talk soon, hopefully we can get a deal done, if not with the Giants then unfortunately somewhere else, but I want to be a Giant for a long time, so we’ll see how it goes,” Cruz said.

Cruz also said he followed his alma mater’s first season as a member of the Football Bowl Subdivision, and despite the team finishing with a record of 1-11, he’s optimistic about the program’s future.

“It’s been a little bit of a painful year this past year, but I think it can only go up from here,” he said. “I think Coach (Charley) Molnar is doing a great job of recruiting some guys in here that are top-tier level and top-tier athletes and I think it can only go up from here, so I’m happy for him and I’m happy for the way it’s progressing.”

Saturday was the first time Cruz was on campus since last year, when he also attended a UMass men’s basketball game in the team’s win against Xavier on Feb. 21, 2012.

On Friday afternoon, Cruz tweeted, “Think I might check a college game tomorrow. Lets check the schedule…” and within minutes, he said, UMass point guard Chaz Williams direct messaged him asking him to come to Saturday’s game. Cruz obliged.

“Basically it fit my schedule,” Cruz said. “I always come every year. I love going to Antonio’s and bringing back all those memories of when I used to come here and be a student, so it’s a good feeling.”

As for Williams, who wears No. 3 just like Cruz did in his college days, Cruz said he follows him closely.
“I follow Chaz all the time,” he said. “I speak to him every chance I get.

“Typically when you wear No. 3 at this program, it means a great deal, so hopefully we can keep that tradition going. Chaz is doing a great job.”

Cruz also took time talking about what he wants to do when his football playing career is over. Cruz, who has become known for his Salsa dance touchdown celebrations, said he isn’t planning on being on the ABC hit show “Dancing with the Stars” any time soon, but did say he’d like to pursue a career on the screen, and eventually do something no one else has done before.

“I think I’m going to get into broadcasting a little bit. We’ll see how it goes,” Cruz said. “To be honest, I was thinking big picture, I want to act a little bit, see if I can jump in these movies and be the first guy with a Super Bowl ring and an Oscar.”

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.