Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

Association of Diversity in Sport draws competition in FIFA Tournament -

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Brown University in OT thriller -

Real Estate finds tranquility, but breaks little new ground on ‘In Mind’ -

UMass baseball takes series behind two straight wins over George Washington -

Letter to the Editor: Amherst should vote no on education referendum -

Make small-scale activism sexy again -

Defense holds strong for UMass men’s lacrosse in loss to Brown -

Strong second half lifts UMass women’s lacrosse past Marist, 10-7 -

Letter to the Editor: UMass alum reflects on his time at the Collegian -

Environmental journalists face challenges under Trump administration -

An open letter to the students of UMass -

Pat Kelsey informs UMass AD Ryan Bamford of change of heart just 35 minutes before scheduled press conference -

Past and present UMass football players participate in 2017 Pro Day Thursday -

Minutewomen downed by Duquesne despite late surge

Zoe Mervine/Collegian

With about three minutes left on the clock, the Massachusetts women’s basketball team could almost taste its first win in 11 tries.

Senior center Jasmine Watson sank a layup to cut her team’s deficit to four as UMass trailed Duquesne 46-42 with 3:15 to go.

Seconds later, after Duquesne sophomore guard Belma Nurkic missed a 3-point opportunity, junior forward Kiara Bomben snagged the rebound and fed it to Watson, who was fouled on her way up, creating a frenzy on the UMass bench.

But with the pressure on, Watson missed both free throws and the next two minutes became a string of turnovers and misses by the Minutewomen (3-24, 1-11 Atlantic 10), leading to a 53-44 loss Sunday afternoon at the Mullins Center.

Despite the loss, coach Sharon Dawley said there were positives to take away from the defeat.

“I’m really proud of them,” Dawley said. “We can’t control a lot of things in life and we can only control our attitude. I think our players have been doing a great job of coming to work every day and getting better every day.”

The Dukes (20-6, 9-3 A-10) struggled at the beginning of the second half, but Jocelyn Floyd and junior guard Oditte Odisho, who combined for 31 points, helped Duquesne overcome UMass’ second-half run.

Dawley said her team’s defensive play on the post was ideal, matching the Dukes with 36 rebounds, but that UMass’ offense was lacking.

“We continue to have a problem in terms of scoring,” Dawley said. “For us to only come up with 44 points — that’s tough — and we’re gonna drop games if that’s all we can produce at the offensive end.”

The teams traded scores throughout the first half, and UMass took the lead with 10:09 left when Bomben made a layup after recovering from a would-be turnover.

Duquesne pushed ahead and took a 33-21 lead into the break.

Bomben, who was playing in her first game back from an injury, said that putting up valuable numbers was a challenge because of the Dukes’ athleticism.

“I was, to be honest, a little nervous at the beginning, but I have a lot of faith in our trainer,” Bomben said. “I knew they wouldn’t put me out if they didn’t feel I was going to be strong and confident.”

Turnovers were also a major factor in the loss as the Minutewomen coughed up the ball 29 times, which Duquesne converted into 19 points.

Watson was also unhappy with the outcome, saying that her individual statistics –team-high 10 points and 7 rebounds – don’t ease the pain of a close loss.

“As hard as I feel like I work every game, the stat sheet will never show it,” Watson said. “I have to be so involved in every play, even if I don’t get the ball, I have to talk to my teammates. I’m happy with the few stats I do have, but I could’ve done better, I should’ve did better as a captain and a leader of the team.”

UMass now has two games remaining, beginning with a road contest Wednesday night at Saint Joseph’s before hosting Xavier on Saturday in its season finale.

Peter Cappiello can be reached at pcappiel@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Cappiello.