BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Minutewomen downed by Duquesne despite late surge

Zoe Mervine/Collegian

With about three minutes left on the clock, the Massachusetts women’s basketball team could almost taste its first win in 11 tries.

Senior center Jasmine Watson sank a layup to cut her team’s deficit to four as UMass trailed Duquesne 46-42 with 3:15 to go.

Seconds later, after Duquesne sophomore guard Belma Nurkic missed a 3-point opportunity, junior forward Kiara Bomben snagged the rebound and fed it to Watson, who was fouled on her way up, creating a frenzy on the UMass bench.

But with the pressure on, Watson missed both free throws and the next two minutes became a string of turnovers and misses by the Minutewomen (3-24, 1-11 Atlantic 10), leading to a 53-44 loss Sunday afternoon at the Mullins Center.

Despite the loss, coach Sharon Dawley said there were positives to take away from the defeat.

“I’m really proud of them,” Dawley said. “We can’t control a lot of things in life and we can only control our attitude. I think our players have been doing a great job of coming to work every day and getting better every day.”

The Dukes (20-6, 9-3 A-10) struggled at the beginning of the second half, but Jocelyn Floyd and junior guard Oditte Odisho, who combined for 31 points, helped Duquesne overcome UMass’ second-half run.

Dawley said her team’s defensive play on the post was ideal, matching the Dukes with 36 rebounds, but that UMass’ offense was lacking.

“We continue to have a problem in terms of scoring,” Dawley said. “For us to only come up with 44 points — that’s tough — and we’re gonna drop games if that’s all we can produce at the offensive end.”

The teams traded scores throughout the first half, and UMass took the lead with 10:09 left when Bomben made a layup after recovering from a would-be turnover.

Duquesne pushed ahead and took a 33-21 lead into the break.

Bomben, who was playing in her first game back from an injury, said that putting up valuable numbers was a challenge because of the Dukes’ athleticism.

“I was, to be honest, a little nervous at the beginning, but I have a lot of faith in our trainer,” Bomben said. “I knew they wouldn’t put me out if they didn’t feel I was going to be strong and confident.”

Turnovers were also a major factor in the loss as the Minutewomen coughed up the ball 29 times, which Duquesne converted into 19 points.

Watson was also unhappy with the outcome, saying that her individual statistics –team-high 10 points and 7 rebounds – don’t ease the pain of a close loss.

“As hard as I feel like I work every game, the stat sheet will never show it,” Watson said. “I have to be so involved in every play, even if I don’t get the ball, I have to talk to my teammates. I’m happy with the few stats I do have, but I could’ve done better, I should’ve did better as a captain and a leader of the team.”

UMass now has two games remaining, beginning with a road contest Wednesday night at Saint Joseph’s before hosting Xavier on Saturday in its season finale.

Peter Cappiello can be reached at pcappiel@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Cappiello.