UMass notebook: Kitching shines, West Springfield’s Dan Jonah catches touchdown -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

A.J. Doyle looks forward to contributing in a tight end role -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Three up three down: Quarterback, defensive line play in focus for UMass -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Mark Whipple: UMass football’s spring game a successful night -

Friday, April 17, 2015

A fan’s guide to the UMass football spring game -

Friday, April 17, 2015

UMass softball splits doubleheader against Marist in walk-off win -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: April 16, 2015 -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse returns to Garber Field for crucial matchup with Drexel -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

New partnership to unite university students and town of Amherst -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass baseball wins fifth straight -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Why “Last Week Tonight” is the new champion of sanity in fake news -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Letter: Appalled at local police’s poor training on domestic violence -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Knitting, Crocheting and Needlework Club sparks motivation for crafty students -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Divest UMass makes strides at Board of Trustees meeting -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Do we need the Apple Watch? -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Jules Crittenden speaks on war correspondence to ROTC cadets -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass pitching staff lifts team -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass tennis begins its bid for the Atlantic 10 title -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass rowing returns home for the first time this spring season -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

UMass travels to Philly to take on A-10’s worst ranked St. Joseph’s -

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Get amped with these Top 10 workout songs

It isn’t easy getting together a playlist for the gym. After all, you’ve got anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes (or more, if you’re feeling fit) to fill. And you’ll need the music to tune out the droning and groaning of the gym’s machines and hardware.

Look no further than this playlist to keep you amped and going for at least a half hour. You may have problems with it, but those issues will be short-lived as you’ll pick up your winning ways with these inspiring tunes.

“Anything Could Happen” – Ellie Goulding

While you might hear this song a few times a day on the radio, it takes on a whole new meaning while jogging on the treadmill. Reassuring you that life isn’t always set in stone, Goulding’s popular tune inspires and makes you want to go the extra mile. This song grips you; its sounds gobbling you up and pushing you to work harder to accomplish your next goal. You don’t have to be stationary with your weight or health choices – anything can happen.

“Payphone” – Maroon 5 (feat. Wiz Khalifa)

Another popular song, “Payphone” acts as a great motivator in the gym. In the song, Maroon 5’s lead singer Adam Levine touts about being left at a payphone because all of his change has run out, having spent it all on a former flame. It’s a metaphor, yes, but it nonetheless offers an idea that Levine, or the character of the song, is left out on his or her own. Khalifa’s lyrics about being a better option than another couples nicely with Levine’s in that it shows no matter how low you may get, there’s a way to pick yourself back up.

“Wanted Dead or Alive” – Bon Jovi

This song is just awesome from start to finish. Jovi sings about being wanted – dead or alive, as the title identifies – and how he doesn’t mind it. He’s willing to battle whatever comes his way, which is a mentality that many should have whether tackling the elliptical or lifting weights.

“Forever” – Chris Brown

Brown never slows down in “Forever,” making it a flawless song to listen to when you’re looking to churn away the fat. Sure, the song is mostly romance-driven and refers to dancing as a main activity, but it’s still got that quick-paced vibe to keep you going … forever. Plus, it will couple nicely with a dance-related workout.

“Feel the Rain” – JD Eicher & the Goodnights

JD Eicher & the Goodnights is a lesser known band in New England as they’re based out of the Midwest. But this song will have everyone from coast to coast spending an extra minute or 60 in the gym. One of its main lines – “Do you feel the rain? Do you feel like running? Do you think we’re made to just remain?” – instantly pumps up the listener. It taunts the listener, pushing them to keep on going.

“Diemonds” – T. Mills

T. Mills has been on the underground rap scene since 2008, and since then he’s rocked tours across the country with his dirty lyrics and cocky attitude. In “Diemonds,” Mills takes a break from his scandalous and player approach to rap about a bigger issue – that we all have the opportunity to leave our legacy behind. Thinking about your legacy and what your life is about will surely keep you working out.

“Bonfire” – Knife Party

Featured on AMC’s “Breaking Bad,” this is a perfect dubstep song to get you ready to go at the gym. Lyrically it won’t inspire you, but the “Bonfire” beat gives you that much needed jolt to reach the finish line.

“Don’t Give Up” – Kevin Rudolf

Look no further than the title to see why Rudolf’s latest hit keeps you going in the gym. Rudolf tells the listener not to give up and “don’t look down, ‘cause your time is gonna come around.” This song will fit in nicely in the middle of the playlist, preparing you as the final mile approaches.

“Heat of the Moment” – Asia

Remember that moment in “The 40 Year Old Virgin” when Steve Carell bikes after the woman of his dreams, hoping to tell her the truth about everything? He does so to this song, a classic 1980s ballad that’ll make you ignore the sweltering heat – be it from those five miles on the track, or that challenging hot yoga.

“Carry On My Wayward Son” – Kansas

This is the best way to close out the playlist. You know your workout is coming to an end, and that you’re another step closer to reaching your goal. Like Kansas says, “There’ll be peace when you are done.” You’ll find that calming and relaxing moment after your cool down, sending you right into a moment of peace of body, mind and soul.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.