Kathy Forde’s Cole Lecture focuses on the role of journalism in racial justice -

Friday, October 9, 2015

UMPD reportedly requests assistance from DA concerning reported rape -

Friday, October 9, 2015

Mark Morris’ hat trick leads UMass men’s soccer to Wednesday victory -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

UMass men’s soccer stuns URI behind rebound off late penalty kick Wednesday -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

UMass loads up for shootout versus Bowling Green -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Former Middle Eastern foes advocate for peace -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Discussion of Tibet’s future to be held Tuesday night -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Student leader profile: National Society of Collegiate Scholars President Mike Franco -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Why you should be optimistic about UMass hockey this season -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

UMass looks to be more competitive in Hockey East behind youth -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Inexperience highlights questions surrounding UMass hockey entering 2015 -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Steven Iacobellis ready to assume captain role for UMass hockey -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

John Micheletto ready for a pivotal fourth season at the helm of UMass hockey -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Dynamic freshmen duo joins UMass defense with high expectations -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

It’s not what you know; it’s what you can pretend to know -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Perfect images: Online versions of ourselves can’t give true confidence -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Arguments of immigration hawks not based on pragmatism -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Stockbridge lecturer offers a permaculture perspective with ‘Inhabit’ screening -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

NBA 2K16 is an eye-popping sensation -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Adam Liccardi sentenced to eight to 12 years in connection with 2012 UMass gang rape -

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Get amped with these Top 10 workout songs

It isn’t easy getting together a playlist for the gym. After all, you’ve got anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes (or more, if you’re feeling fit) to fill. And you’ll need the music to tune out the droning and groaning of the gym’s machines and hardware.

Look no further than this playlist to keep you amped and going for at least a half hour. You may have problems with it, but those issues will be short-lived as you’ll pick up your winning ways with these inspiring tunes.

“Anything Could Happen” – Ellie Goulding

While you might hear this song a few times a day on the radio, it takes on a whole new meaning while jogging on the treadmill. Reassuring you that life isn’t always set in stone, Goulding’s popular tune inspires and makes you want to go the extra mile. This song grips you; its sounds gobbling you up and pushing you to work harder to accomplish your next goal. You don’t have to be stationary with your weight or health choices – anything can happen.

“Payphone” – Maroon 5 (feat. Wiz Khalifa)

Another popular song, “Payphone” acts as a great motivator in the gym. In the song, Maroon 5’s lead singer Adam Levine touts about being left at a payphone because all of his change has run out, having spent it all on a former flame. It’s a metaphor, yes, but it nonetheless offers an idea that Levine, or the character of the song, is left out on his or her own. Khalifa’s lyrics about being a better option than another couples nicely with Levine’s in that it shows no matter how low you may get, there’s a way to pick yourself back up.

“Wanted Dead or Alive” – Bon Jovi

This song is just awesome from start to finish. Jovi sings about being wanted – dead or alive, as the title identifies – and how he doesn’t mind it. He’s willing to battle whatever comes his way, which is a mentality that many should have whether tackling the elliptical or lifting weights.

“Forever” – Chris Brown

Brown never slows down in “Forever,” making it a flawless song to listen to when you’re looking to churn away the fat. Sure, the song is mostly romance-driven and refers to dancing as a main activity, but it’s still got that quick-paced vibe to keep you going … forever. Plus, it will couple nicely with a dance-related workout.

“Feel the Rain” – JD Eicher & the Goodnights

JD Eicher & the Goodnights is a lesser known band in New England as they’re based out of the Midwest. But this song will have everyone from coast to coast spending an extra minute or 60 in the gym. One of its main lines – “Do you feel the rain? Do you feel like running? Do you think we’re made to just remain?” – instantly pumps up the listener. It taunts the listener, pushing them to keep on going.

“Diemonds” – T. Mills

T. Mills has been on the underground rap scene since 2008, and since then he’s rocked tours across the country with his dirty lyrics and cocky attitude. In “Diemonds,” Mills takes a break from his scandalous and player approach to rap about a bigger issue – that we all have the opportunity to leave our legacy behind. Thinking about your legacy and what your life is about will surely keep you working out.

“Bonfire” – Knife Party

Featured on AMC’s “Breaking Bad,” this is a perfect dubstep song to get you ready to go at the gym. Lyrically it won’t inspire you, but the “Bonfire” beat gives you that much needed jolt to reach the finish line.

“Don’t Give Up” – Kevin Rudolf

Look no further than the title to see why Rudolf’s latest hit keeps you going in the gym. Rudolf tells the listener not to give up and “don’t look down, ‘cause your time is gonna come around.” This song will fit in nicely in the middle of the playlist, preparing you as the final mile approaches.

“Heat of the Moment” – Asia

Remember that moment in “The 40 Year Old Virgin” when Steve Carell bikes after the woman of his dreams, hoping to tell her the truth about everything? He does so to this song, a classic 1980s ballad that’ll make you ignore the sweltering heat – be it from those five miles on the track, or that challenging hot yoga.

“Carry On My Wayward Son” – Kansas

This is the best way to close out the playlist. You know your workout is coming to an end, and that you’re another step closer to reaching your goal. Like Kansas says, “There’ll be peace when you are done.” You’ll find that calming and relaxing moment after your cool down, sending you right into a moment of peace of body, mind and soul.

Herb Scribner can be reached at