Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company’s Sucks Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale was originally set to be released in 2011, but due to some mishaps in the brewery, its release was delayed, according to BeerStreetJournal.com. It wasn’t until sometime between late December 2012 and January 2013 that this beer made it onto the shelves.

MCT

MCT

Lagunitas Brewing Company, located in Petaluma, Calif., is a laid back microbrewery known for its hefty names including the Shugga’.

This beer is only a limited release, so there’s no telling how long it will last on the shelves of local stores such as Liquors 44 or Big Guy’s.

It offers the traditional embrace of brown sugar, being light in color and rich in flavor. So, if you’re the type of person who’s looking for a good smooth flavored brew that not only looks delicious, but also gives your taste buds a welcoming massage, this could be the one for you.

The hops in the beer don’t have as strong of a presence as in that of A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale (another notable Laguintas flavor). But if the hoppy taste isn’t your forte, then the Brown Shugga’ has a perfect balance between the zesty flavors.

This beer pairs notably well with delivery food such as chicken wings and other late-night snacks. Lagunitas has always complemented take-out well, but one way to truly enjoy the Brown Shugga’ is with a rack of Buffalo wings. The carbonation may not help much with the spicy burning feeling in your mouth, but it feels right to add the spice alongside the zest.

It’s almost a good thing that the Lagunitas Brewing Company loused up the first batch; it only gave the company time to perfect their process.

But caution always has to be a factor with the Lagunitas’ beers, and Brown Shugga’ Substitute is no exception to the brewery’s line up. With 7.85 percent alcohol content per bottle, it only takes a few of these drinks to get an amateur floored before the night has even started.

Lagunitas’ Sucks has a pleasant aroma of zesty lemon flavored hops that’s more inviting than the label on the beer.

Bitter and smooth are the two best words to describe this beer. And on top of that it has a good level of carbonation to boot, which keeps the flavors consistent within the beer almost bordering on perfection.

The Brown Shugga’ Substitute comes in a six-pack, or alternatively in keg form. Unfortunately, the kegs have yet to be seen at the local stores. Lagunita’s Sucks have only been on the shelves of Liquors 44 for about two weeks.

It’s a good beer to enjoy on a relaxing order-in kind of college night, and will take your mind off your studies. Yes, it is that good.

So sit back crack open a Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute while there’s still time to enjoy the company’s ale.

Paul Bagnall can be reached at pbagnall@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale”
  1. uttopolis says:

sumpin sumpin ale is the best

You must be logged in to post a comment.