Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SGA election reforms address some, but not all concerns -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Emily O’Neil hopes to increase diversity and improve Title IX training as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The next journalist under fire -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Letter: A call for action and cooperation -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Student trustee candidate Kabir Thatte looks to create his own path as a UMass legacy student within SGA -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Feb. 27 to Sunday, March 1, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kelly, Gay to focus on transparency, accessibility and sexual assault training -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Easy breathing tricks to de-stress during midterms -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lack of transparency from Elections Commission endangers spring ballot -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company’s Sucks Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale was originally set to be released in 2011, but due to some mishaps in the brewery, its release was delayed, according to BeerStreetJournal.com. It wasn’t until sometime between late December 2012 and January 2013 that this beer made it onto the shelves.

MCT

MCT

Lagunitas Brewing Company, located in Petaluma, Calif., is a laid back microbrewery known for its hefty names including the Shugga’.

This beer is only a limited release, so there’s no telling how long it will last on the shelves of local stores such as Liquors 44 or Big Guy’s.

It offers the traditional embrace of brown sugar, being light in color and rich in flavor. So, if you’re the type of person who’s looking for a good smooth flavored brew that not only looks delicious, but also gives your taste buds a welcoming massage, this could be the one for you.

The hops in the beer don’t have as strong of a presence as in that of A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale (another notable Laguintas flavor). But if the hoppy taste isn’t your forte, then the Brown Shugga’ has a perfect balance between the zesty flavors.

This beer pairs notably well with delivery food such as chicken wings and other late-night snacks. Lagunitas has always complemented take-out well, but one way to truly enjoy the Brown Shugga’ is with a rack of Buffalo wings. The carbonation may not help much with the spicy burning feeling in your mouth, but it feels right to add the spice alongside the zest.

It’s almost a good thing that the Lagunitas Brewing Company loused up the first batch; it only gave the company time to perfect their process.

But caution always has to be a factor with the Lagunitas’ beers, and Brown Shugga’ Substitute is no exception to the brewery’s line up. With 7.85 percent alcohol content per bottle, it only takes a few of these drinks to get an amateur floored before the night has even started.

Lagunitas’ Sucks has a pleasant aroma of zesty lemon flavored hops that’s more inviting than the label on the beer.

Bitter and smooth are the two best words to describe this beer. And on top of that it has a good level of carbonation to boot, which keeps the flavors consistent within the beer almost bordering on perfection.

The Brown Shugga’ Substitute comes in a six-pack, or alternatively in keg form. Unfortunately, the kegs have yet to be seen at the local stores. Lagunita’s Sucks have only been on the shelves of Liquors 44 for about two weeks.

It’s a good beer to enjoy on a relaxing order-in kind of college night, and will take your mind off your studies. Yes, it is that good.

So sit back crack open a Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute while there’s still time to enjoy the company’s ale.

Paul Bagnall can be reached at pbagnall@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale”
  1. uttopolis says:

sumpin sumpin ale is the best