UMass falls short at home to UNH 1-0 -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tennis shines in West Point Invitational -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA to launch new binge drinking awareness campaign -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass rugby captain Devin Ibanez: ‘I’m just a rugby maniac’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA discusses University’s confidential informant policy -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Akron upsets ACC foe, Toledo outruns Central Michigan -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Electro-pop duo Cherub takes its sweet sound to Pearl Street -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fight for college affordability continues -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

U.S. News ranks UMass among top 30 public universities -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Battling arguments -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tim McGraw comes back strong in ‘Sundown Heaven Town’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

No arrests made at UMass Homecoming tailgate and game -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Alt-J diversifies and grows in ‘This Is All Yours.’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

FSU holds off the Wolfpack while Hill leads the Aggies to an overtime victory -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UPDATE: UMass Police Department and Student Affairs officials to conduct review of confidential informant policy -

Monday, September 29, 2014

UMass men’s soccer shut out by UNH, 1-0, on Sunday -

Monday, September 29, 2014

The best ways to decorate your dorm room -

Monday, September 29, 2014

UMass needs to actively combat sexual assault -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Northwestern District Attorney’s office hosts National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Students celebrate return of UMass football with tailgate festivities -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company’s Sucks Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale was originally set to be released in 2011, but due to some mishaps in the brewery, its release was delayed, according to BeerStreetJournal.com. It wasn’t until sometime between late December 2012 and January 2013 that this beer made it onto the shelves.

MCT

MCT

Lagunitas Brewing Company, located in Petaluma, Calif., is a laid back microbrewery known for its hefty names including the Shugga’.

This beer is only a limited release, so there’s no telling how long it will last on the shelves of local stores such as Liquors 44 or Big Guy’s.

It offers the traditional embrace of brown sugar, being light in color and rich in flavor. So, if you’re the type of person who’s looking for a good smooth flavored brew that not only looks delicious, but also gives your taste buds a welcoming massage, this could be the one for you.

The hops in the beer don’t have as strong of a presence as in that of A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale (another notable Laguintas flavor). But if the hoppy taste isn’t your forte, then the Brown Shugga’ has a perfect balance between the zesty flavors.

This beer pairs notably well with delivery food such as chicken wings and other late-night snacks. Lagunitas has always complemented take-out well, but one way to truly enjoy the Brown Shugga’ is with a rack of Buffalo wings. The carbonation may not help much with the spicy burning feeling in your mouth, but it feels right to add the spice alongside the zest.

It’s almost a good thing that the Lagunitas Brewing Company loused up the first batch; it only gave the company time to perfect their process.

But caution always has to be a factor with the Lagunitas’ beers, and Brown Shugga’ Substitute is no exception to the brewery’s line up. With 7.85 percent alcohol content per bottle, it only takes a few of these drinks to get an amateur floored before the night has even started.

Lagunitas’ Sucks has a pleasant aroma of zesty lemon flavored hops that’s more inviting than the label on the beer.

Bitter and smooth are the two best words to describe this beer. And on top of that it has a good level of carbonation to boot, which keeps the flavors consistent within the beer almost bordering on perfection.

The Brown Shugga’ Substitute comes in a six-pack, or alternatively in keg form. Unfortunately, the kegs have yet to be seen at the local stores. Lagunita’s Sucks have only been on the shelves of Liquors 44 for about two weeks.

It’s a good beer to enjoy on a relaxing order-in kind of college night, and will take your mind off your studies. Yes, it is that good.

So sit back crack open a Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute while there’s still time to enjoy the company’s ale.

Paul Bagnall can be reached at pbagnall@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale”
  1. uttopolis says:

sumpin sumpin ale is the best