UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Hofstra on Senior Night, 11-6 -

Saturday, April 19, 2014

VIDEO: UMass United Rally in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company’s Sucks Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale was originally set to be released in 2011, but due to some mishaps in the brewery, its release was delayed, according to BeerStreetJournal.com. It wasn’t until sometime between late December 2012 and January 2013 that this beer made it onto the shelves.

MCT

MCT

Lagunitas Brewing Company, located in Petaluma, Calif., is a laid back microbrewery known for its hefty names including the Shugga’.

This beer is only a limited release, so there’s no telling how long it will last on the shelves of local stores such as Liquors 44 or Big Guy’s.

It offers the traditional embrace of brown sugar, being light in color and rich in flavor. So, if you’re the type of person who’s looking for a good smooth flavored brew that not only looks delicious, but also gives your taste buds a welcoming massage, this could be the one for you.

The hops in the beer don’t have as strong of a presence as in that of A Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale (another notable Laguintas flavor). But if the hoppy taste isn’t your forte, then the Brown Shugga’ has a perfect balance between the zesty flavors.

This beer pairs notably well with delivery food such as chicken wings and other late-night snacks. Lagunitas has always complemented take-out well, but one way to truly enjoy the Brown Shugga’ is with a rack of Buffalo wings. The carbonation may not help much with the spicy burning feeling in your mouth, but it feels right to add the spice alongside the zest.

It’s almost a good thing that the Lagunitas Brewing Company loused up the first batch; it only gave the company time to perfect their process.

But caution always has to be a factor with the Lagunitas’ beers, and Brown Shugga’ Substitute is no exception to the brewery’s line up. With 7.85 percent alcohol content per bottle, it only takes a few of these drinks to get an amateur floored before the night has even started.

Lagunitas’ Sucks has a pleasant aroma of zesty lemon flavored hops that’s more inviting than the label on the beer.

Bitter and smooth are the two best words to describe this beer. And on top of that it has a good level of carbonation to boot, which keeps the flavors consistent within the beer almost bordering on perfection.

The Brown Shugga’ Substitute comes in a six-pack, or alternatively in keg form. Unfortunately, the kegs have yet to be seen at the local stores. Lagunita’s Sucks have only been on the shelves of Liquors 44 for about two weeks.

It’s a good beer to enjoy on a relaxing order-in kind of college night, and will take your mind off your studies. Yes, it is that good.

So sit back crack open a Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute while there’s still time to enjoy the company’s ale.

Paul Bagnall can be reached at pbagnall@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Lagunitas Sucks: Brown Shugga’ Substitute Ale”
  1. uttopolis says:

sumpin sumpin ale is the best