Front to Back: Week of Jan. 26, 2015 -

Sunday, February 1, 2015

UMass hangs on to top Saint Louis for the first time since 1995 -

Saturday, January 31, 2015

UMass hockey falls to No. 2 Boston University in high-scoring affair -

Saturday, January 31, 2015

UMass Dining places Super Bowl food bet with University of Washington -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Super Bowl XLIX Preview: New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks -

Friday, January 30, 2015

John McCutcheon reflects on his time at UMass, admits it’s time for change -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass downs Dayton in bounce-back win -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass athletic director John McCutcheon to take job at UCSB -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

VCU beats Xavier, La Salle gets by URI

The Virginia Commonwealth men’s basketball team overcame a 13-point halftime deficit to defeat Xavier 75-71 in Cincinnati.

Trailing 39-26 at the break, the Rams outscored the Musketeers 49-32 in the second half to secure the four-point victory. Senior Troy Daniels led the way offensively for VCU (22-6, 10-3 Atlantic 10), scoring 19 points, 15 of which came from 3-pointers. Junior Rob Brandenberg added 18 points for the Rams, while sophomore Treveon Graham scored 17.

After Xavier (15-11, 8-5 A-10) scored two fast buckets to take a 43-26 lead at start the second half, VCU went on a 26-8 run to take a 52-51 lead with 10 minutes left in the game. The Musketeers hung close until the very end, but clutch free throw shooting by the Rams sealed the victory.

Sophomore Dee Davis and senior Brad Redford led Xavier in scoring with 15 points apiece.

VCU next hosts No. 20 Butler on Saturday, while the Musketeers face No. 19 Memphis in a non-conference matchup.

Explorers collect win over URI

La Salle picked up its 19th win of the season when it pushed past Rhode Island 72-65 on Saturday.

The Explorers (19-7, 9-4 A-10) trailed by three at halftime, but used a 25-8 run early in the second half to take a lead they would never surrender. Junior Tyreek Duren scored a game-high 21 points on 7-of-11 shooting for La Salle, and sophomore Jerrell Wright was a machine on the boards, picking up 15 rebounds while adding 12 points.

Rams (8-18, 3-10 A-10) junior Xavier Munford finished with a team-high 18 points, while senior Nikola Malesevic and freshman Mike Aaman each chipped in 15 points. Although the two teams shot almost identical percentages from the floor, the Explorers sank nine 3-pointers, as opposed to URI’s five.

La Salle looks to pick up its 20th win of the season on Saturday when it takes on struggling Duquesne. The Rams, trying to avoid their third loss in a row, visit the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia on Saturday when they face Temple.

Temple dismantles Charlotte

Temple picked up its third consecutive win on Sunday when it overpowered Charlotte 71-51 behind an 18-point effort from senior Scootie Randall.

Randall, who played 36 minutes, shot 58 percent from the field, converting 3-of-5 3-pointers. Senior Khalif Wyatt also had a solid outing for the Owls (19-8, 8-5 A-10), contributing 12 points and seven assists.

The victory was Temple’s second over the 49ers (18-8, 6-6 A-10) this season, having won earlier in the month, 89-88. Unlike in the earlier matchup, however, the Owls controlled the game from start to finish, taking a 15-point lead into halftime.

Charlotte shot a dismal 27 percent from the field, including hitting only 1-of-12 3-point attempts. Sophomore Pierria Henry and freshman Mike Thorne led the 49ers in scoring with 10 points apiece.

Temple will take a break from conference play when it faces Detroit on Thursday in a makeup game that was postponed from December. The 49ers look to get back on track Wednesday with a home matchup with conference-rival Dayton.

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@student.umass.edu.