BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Speeding up your computer from the inside out

Flickr/Filip Skakun

There are dozens of commercials and web advertisements every day for software claiming to significantly speed up your computer. These companies, such as MyCleanPC, may end up charging hundreds of dollars to “fix problems” on your computer. Unfortunately, more often than not they are just scams that make your computer more vulnerable to malware and junk than they were before. However, there are many free or fairly cheap software and hardware options that will drastically improve the performance of your Mac or PC.

Software

CCleaner is a free and extremely powerful program for ridding your machine of unwanted junk. This program will clear-up extra space on your hard drive for other files, and will speed up many tasks. You can download CCleaner for Mac or PC at piriform.com/ccleaner. Once installed, you can select the types of data that you want to clear out, such as your recycle bin, Internet history, and browser cache and click “Run Cleaner.” If it is your first time running this program, it may take a minute or two to delete thousands of junk files. On a PC, you can also clean your registry (a process that is unneeded for Mac computers). You can select all of these check boxes and click “Scan for Issues.” Once it has found all of the errors, click “Fix Selected Issues…” You do not have to back up the registry in most cases. It is best to make a habit of running CCleaner once every few days.

Another great free program for PC is Malwarebytes. This is a free virus and malware scanning software that can cure major issues and performance problems on your machine. You can download this program at malwarebytes.org. The free version of this software will be more than enough for most users. However, because Mac computers do not often get malware or viruses, virus software is usually unneeded.

The built-in tools in the Windows operating system can play a part in increasing the performance of your PC as well. Disk Defragmenter will sort the files on your hard drive disk into places that will make them easier to access, allowing your computer to start up faster and your programs to open more quickly. Disk Cleanup is another built-in tool that will clean out junk files. It is especially helpful for getting rid of any files that CCleaner might have left behind.

Hardware

RAM, or random access memory, is based in small chips inside of your machine that are most likely easily accessible and easily replaceable. For most people, 2GB of RAM is plenty to run the majority of the programs used on a daily basis. However, for more intensive programs like video or music editing software, or creative suites like Adobe CS, the extra memory can be necessary. These chips vary in size and speed, so it is best to know for sure what chips you need before buying anything. Crucial.com has an online scanner that will check what RAM you need and allow you to buy it straight from their site. Instructions vary as to how to replace the RAM in your computer, so make sure to do a quick search for tutorials before trying anything.

Solid state drives (SSDs) are a new type of hard drive that have no moving parts and are based solely on flash storage, the same type of storage used in most mobile devices and flash drives. These hard drives can cut start-up and file-transfer times in half as compared to standard HDDs. These disks can be somewhat expensive, usually around $0.50/GB and it takes a lot of work to transfer your files and software from one hard drive to another, but the benefits are worth the extra cost and effort. Crucial sells SSDs as well, along with retail stores such as Best Buy.

Kevin Hollerbach can be reached at khollerb@student.umass.edu.

2 Responses to “Speeding up your computer from the inside out”
  1. Stuart Bell says:

It may be a case that the App you used was a scam. But this is not the case with every paid tool. I have used the Stellar Speed Up Mac and got every service it promised.

It made my Mac experience very smooth.

2. Rafael says:

I can’t wait to some day built and own a computer that just performs as fast and smooth as I always dreamed of. I think I should try to speed up my current system trying to plug in a fast SSD drive.