UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Multiple arrests including those for OUI and disorderly conduct in Amherst Crime Log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian File Photo

While weekend temperatures were cold, often dipping below freezing, they did not stop a number of arrests from being made in the Amherst area as reported in the crime log.

Beginning at 12:16 p.m. on Friday afternoon, officers from the Amherst Police Department responded to a reported larceny at the Monkey Bar. According to the police reports, a Monkey Bar patron reported the theft of a jacket from the bar. The jacket reportedly contained a number of personal possessions of the party and the matter is currently under investigation.

Early Saturday morning, police were in the midst of a standard motor vehicle stop when 22-year-old Amherst resident Teryn Lynn McCook decided to approach responding officers. According to the police report, McCook was ordered to step away from the police as they completed the motor vehicle stop. McCook then proceeded to enter the back of the police car and have a seat. Officers responded by immediately arresting McCook on charges of disorderly conduct.

A short time later the same morning, police responded to reports of an ongoing fight in front of Antonio’s Pizza in downtown Amherst. Upon arriving at the scene, police reportedly witnessed 22-year-old Brockton resident Miguel Barzola Jr. and 22-year-old Arlington resident Winston Woo engaged in a brawl which had made its way on to North Pleasant Street. Police attempted to subdue Barzola with pepper spray after both men were reportedly ordered to cease, eventually stepped in to arrest both men on charges of disorderly conduct.

Later the same morning, at 4:04 a.m., police pulled over a vehicle operated by 22-year-old Westwood resident Matthew Kress for reportedly driving over the speed limit. After consenting to a field sobriety test, police arrested Kress on charges of operating under the influence.

Saturday evening at 10:22 p.m., police made a similar arrest after the Granby Police Department called the APD to report a vehicle driving erratically on its way in to Amherst. Amherst police soon identified the vehicle and arrested 32-year-old driver James Arnelle Hicks of Amherst on charges of operating under the influence.

Just a few minutes later, police reportedly witnessed 20-year-old Wilbraham resident Stephen Metayer walking down Fearing Street with an open container. After being identified by police, Metayer was taken into custody by police.

An hour later, police arrested 20-year-old Jamesville, N.Y. resident Anthony Bunn after police witnessed Bunn with a beer in his hand. A bag found within the area of Bunn’s arrest was seized by police who then tagged it and its contents for destruction.

Early Sunday morning brought new arrests for the APD when police responded to a noise complaint at 62 Summer Street. The owners of the house were reportedly very cooperative with police and the party found on the premises was quickly cleared.

However, as police cleared the residence, 19-year-old Charlestown resident Colin Murphy was reportedly seen by police urinating on the back tire of one of the police vehicles. Police proceeded to detain Murphy on charges of disorderly conduct and later added the charge of being in possession of a fake ID.

On Sunday at 6:12 p.m., police responded to reports of larceny at the downtown Amherst GoBerry. According to the crime log, an unidentified suspect was witnessed stealing an unspecified amount of money from the establishment’s tip container. After eluding capture from those within the store, the issue was reported to police. The theft is currently under investigation.

Mitch Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu.