UMass chancellor suspends use of student confidential informants -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Only a freshman, Matthew Mooney provides valuable minutes for UMass men’s soccer -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fox’s new ‘Red Band Society’ could be important if it wasn’t misguided -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The SGA can’t fix problems without students’ help -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Minutewomen look for improved offense, steady defense in A-10 play -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Safe Passage provides services for survivors of domestic violence -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A fruity, creamy berry Irish Fool recipe -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass women’s soccer battles Harvard to a draw -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMatter at UMass campaign tackling problem of alcohol and drug abuse -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass to implement new electronic security sign-in system -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

With conference play under way, UMass looks to get on track -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Depth, chemistry powers UMass club hockey -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hader and Wiig give a beating heart to ‘Skeleton Twins’ -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass falls short at home to UNH 1-0 -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tennis shines in West Point Invitational -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA to launch new binge drinking awareness campaign -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass rugby captain Devin Ibanez: ‘I’m just a rugby maniac’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA discusses University’s confidential informant policy -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Akron upsets ACC foe, Toledo outruns Central Michigan -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Electro-pop duo Cherub takes its sweet sound to Pearl Street -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Multiple arrests including those for OUI and disorderly conduct in Amherst Crime Log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian File Photo

While weekend temperatures were cold, often dipping below freezing, they did not stop a number of arrests from being made in the Amherst area as reported in the crime log.

Beginning at 12:16 p.m. on Friday afternoon, officers from the Amherst Police Department responded to a reported larceny at the Monkey Bar. According to the police reports, a Monkey Bar patron reported the theft of a jacket from the bar. The jacket reportedly contained a number of personal possessions of the party and the matter is currently under investigation.

Early Saturday morning, police were in the midst of a standard motor vehicle stop when 22-year-old Amherst resident Teryn Lynn McCook decided to approach responding officers. According to the police report, McCook was ordered to step away from the police as they completed the motor vehicle stop. McCook then proceeded to enter the back of the police car and have a seat. Officers responded by immediately arresting McCook on charges of disorderly conduct.

A short time later the same morning, police responded to reports of an ongoing fight in front of Antonio’s Pizza in downtown Amherst. Upon arriving at the scene, police reportedly witnessed 22-year-old Brockton resident Miguel Barzola Jr. and 22-year-old Arlington resident Winston Woo engaged in a brawl which had made its way on to North Pleasant Street. Police attempted to subdue Barzola with pepper spray after both men were reportedly ordered to cease, eventually stepped in to arrest both men on charges of disorderly conduct.

Later the same morning, at 4:04 a.m., police pulled over a vehicle operated by 22-year-old Westwood resident Matthew Kress for reportedly driving over the speed limit. After consenting to a field sobriety test, police arrested Kress on charges of operating under the influence.

Saturday evening at 10:22 p.m., police made a similar arrest after the Granby Police Department called the APD to report a vehicle driving erratically on its way in to Amherst. Amherst police soon identified the vehicle and arrested 32-year-old driver James Arnelle Hicks of Amherst on charges of operating under the influence.

Just a few minutes later, police reportedly witnessed 20-year-old Wilbraham resident Stephen Metayer walking down Fearing Street with an open container. After being identified by police, Metayer was taken into custody by police.

An hour later, police arrested 20-year-old Jamesville, N.Y. resident Anthony Bunn after police witnessed Bunn with a beer in his hand. A bag found within the area of Bunn’s arrest was seized by police who then tagged it and its contents for destruction.

Early Sunday morning brought new arrests for the APD when police responded to a noise complaint at 62 Summer Street. The owners of the house were reportedly very cooperative with police and the party found on the premises was quickly cleared.

However, as police cleared the residence, 19-year-old Charlestown resident Colin Murphy was reportedly seen by police urinating on the back tire of one of the police vehicles. Police proceeded to detain Murphy on charges of disorderly conduct and later added the charge of being in possession of a fake ID.

On Sunday at 6:12 p.m., police responded to reports of larceny at the downtown Amherst GoBerry. According to the crime log, an unidentified suspect was witnessed stealing an unspecified amount of money from the establishment’s tip container. After eluding capture from those within the store, the issue was reported to police. The theft is currently under investigation.

Mitch Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu.