Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

Multiple arrests including those for OUI and disorderly conduct in Amherst Crime Log

Shaina Mishkin/Collegian File Photo

While weekend temperatures were cold, often dipping below freezing, they did not stop a number of arrests from being made in the Amherst area as reported in the crime log.

Beginning at 12:16 p.m. on Friday afternoon, officers from the Amherst Police Department responded to a reported larceny at the Monkey Bar. According to the police reports, a Monkey Bar patron reported the theft of a jacket from the bar. The jacket reportedly contained a number of personal possessions of the party and the matter is currently under investigation.

Early Saturday morning, police were in the midst of a standard motor vehicle stop when 22-year-old Amherst resident Teryn Lynn McCook decided to approach responding officers. According to the police report, McCook was ordered to step away from the police as they completed the motor vehicle stop. McCook then proceeded to enter the back of the police car and have a seat. Officers responded by immediately arresting McCook on charges of disorderly conduct.

A short time later the same morning, police responded to reports of an ongoing fight in front of Antonio’s Pizza in downtown Amherst. Upon arriving at the scene, police reportedly witnessed 22-year-old Brockton resident Miguel Barzola Jr. and 22-year-old Arlington resident Winston Woo engaged in a brawl which had made its way on to North Pleasant Street. Police attempted to subdue Barzola with pepper spray after both men were reportedly ordered to cease, eventually stepped in to arrest both men on charges of disorderly conduct.

Later the same morning, at 4:04 a.m., police pulled over a vehicle operated by 22-year-old Westwood resident Matthew Kress for reportedly driving over the speed limit. After consenting to a field sobriety test, police arrested Kress on charges of operating under the influence.

Saturday evening at 10:22 p.m., police made a similar arrest after the Granby Police Department called the APD to report a vehicle driving erratically on its way in to Amherst. Amherst police soon identified the vehicle and arrested 32-year-old driver James Arnelle Hicks of Amherst on charges of operating under the influence.

Just a few minutes later, police reportedly witnessed 20-year-old Wilbraham resident Stephen Metayer walking down Fearing Street with an open container. After being identified by police, Metayer was taken into custody by police.

An hour later, police arrested 20-year-old Jamesville, N.Y. resident Anthony Bunn after police witnessed Bunn with a beer in his hand. A bag found within the area of Bunn’s arrest was seized by police who then tagged it and its contents for destruction.

Early Sunday morning brought new arrests for the APD when police responded to a noise complaint at 62 Summer Street. The owners of the house were reportedly very cooperative with police and the party found on the premises was quickly cleared.

However, as police cleared the residence, 19-year-old Charlestown resident Colin Murphy was reportedly seen by police urinating on the back tire of one of the police vehicles. Police proceeded to detain Murphy on charges of disorderly conduct and later added the charge of being in possession of a fake ID.

On Sunday at 6:12 p.m., police responded to reports of larceny at the downtown Amherst GoBerry. According to the crime log, an unidentified suspect was witnessed stealing an unspecified amount of money from the establishment’s tip container. After eluding capture from those within the store, the issue was reported to police. The theft is currently under investigation.

Mitch Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Multiple arrests including those for OUI and disorderly conduct in Amherst Crime Log”
  1. James arnelle hicks says:

I James hicks wanted to let the public know I beat this oui charge that my name is slander by the racist state of Massachusetts. I took my case to trial and beat the case ALL charges were dropped but I’m looked up on Google as a criminal maybe that’s why I can no longer work in the Amherst that suppose to be liberal my ass they slander me in the paper and on here. Well Google this I beat the Oui case in the state of Massachusetts Google that oh FYI your guilty before proven innocent.

You must be logged in to post a comment.