Recovery fund established for former UMass student Chloe Rombach -

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Minutemen search for answers following blowout loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

UMass dominated in 85-65 loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Once Upon a Time Recap: The Queen is Dead

This week’s episode was instrumental in pushing the plot along, and it’s showing how strong the second half of the season is becoming. This week we got an inane amount of ball-gowns, Hook still not finding appropriate clothes, and Henry decided that his pizza was better than his mom because it doesn’t lie to him. Alright, let’s get into it…

Manhattan

Everyone kept family dysfunction alive and well in New York this week as Emma, Henry, Gold, and Neal traversed the city. Henry was as insufferable as ever as he fawned over the guy who left his mom pregnant and rotting in a jail cell but then called Emma a liar via a pizza metaphor. That kid really gets on my last nerve, so color me happy when Gold manhandled him later in the episode.

The action ramped up when Hook out of nowhere (really what’s the timeline on ANY of this right now?) came and stabbed Rumple with his magical-poison-infused-hook. Then Emma promptly knocked him out and at this point, I’m in shock and awe that Hook is standing upright. After they realize that the hook was poisoned and Rumple will need to return to Storybrooke to be saved, we learn Neal can man a pirate ship and he knows Hook. So he’s a Lost Boy, right? There is no denying that he has been to Neverland at this point.

With Neal going back to Storybrooke, it’s going to be interesting to see how Regina deals with both of Henry’s biological parents being in the picture. However, they won’t exactly be rekindling the romance because we learn Neal is engaged. And Emma looked a bit downtrodden. Girl, I know a pirate who can help you with that…

Fairytale Land That Was

We met Snow’s mother this week and learned how she died – and in a shocking (i.e. not shocking at all) twist it was all Cora’s doing. And it was on Snow’s birthday. Snow tried to find a cure for her mother, and was offered dark magic by Cora in disguise as The Blue Fairy. But Snow couldn’t bring herself to use it, resolving that she would always be “good” like her mother wanted. As Snow’s mothers body is lying upon an altar at her funeral, Cora appears, revealing that she orchestrated this all so that Regina could be Queen. She is just the worst. Also bravo to Snow’s mom for wearing those red pumps through her entire sickness AND in death. That’s what I call dedication to your royal sensibilities.

On a side note, whoever cast young Snow deserves a raise. She could honestly be a young Ginny Goodwin, it’s remarkable.

Storybrooke

Happy Birthday Snow! Except it’s not happy. It’s actually downright horrible. She’s not too lucky with birthdays, huh? Anyways, she was reunited with her former nanny, Johanna, this week. And the minute this random addition to the cast that was instrumental in Snow’s backstory showed up, I knew she was a goner. Guest stars have the worst luck on this show.

And, surely enough, she became a pawn in Cora and Regina’s game as the two evil ladies tried to get The Dark One’s sword from Snow and David. The latter had found the sword, with Rumple’s instruction, in order to keep it from witchy mother and daughter. Snow, in order to save Johanna’s life, gives them the sword – but Johanna is killed anyway and it is revealed that Cora murdered her mother. Snow begins to rethink her “always be good” stance and I think we’re going to get some badass Snow in the coming weeks as she proclaims she’s going to kill Cora.

As per usual Prince Charming showed his proclivity for being brainless as he pulled a gun on Cora, who promptly shooed it away with a flick of her wrist.

Questions:

-Will Hook ever get to stand up for a full day again?

-Can someone kill Cora already?

-Will Henry ever love Emma again as much as he loves New York pizza?

Alexa can be reached at ahoyle@student.umass.edu.