BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

VCU trounces Bulldogs, No. 18 SLU extends streak

MCT

The Virginia Commonwealth men’s basketball team upset No. 20 Butler on Saturday., destroying the Bulldogs, 84-52, in Richmond, Va.

The 32-point decision is the largest margin of victory for the Rams (23-6, 11-3 Atlantic 10) this season against an A-10 team, as the Bulldogs (22-7, 9-5 A 10) dropped to fourth place in the conference standings.

VCU started the onslaught early, starting with a 24-10 run in the first 10 minutes of the game, which consisted of forcing Butler to seven turnovers and a 35 percent field goal percentage on 5-of-14 shooting.

Troy Daniels scored 14 of his 20 points in the first half as the Rams took a commanding 45-21 lead into halftime.

The second half went better for the Bulldogs, but they didn’t do quite enough to even be a presence in the final score, as usually reliable Butler guard Rotnei Clarke almost disappeared with just five points on 2-of-8 shooting from the field.

The Bulldogs look to regain their pride on Thursday as they visit Massachusetts, while VCU takes on Richmond on Wednesday.

SLU extends winning streak

Red-hot Saint Louis extended its winning streak to 11 games on Saturday with a 66-58 win at George Washington.

The win over the Colonials (12-15, 6-8 A-10) helped the Billikens (23-5, 12-2 A-10) maintain first place in the A-10 standings.

After trailing 48-45 with six minutes, 41 seconds left in the game, the Billikens went on a 10-0 run to regain a semi-comfortable seven-point lead. GW cut the lead to five points with 2:18 left on a Lasan Kromah layup, but Saint Louis proved too much for any sort of comeback.

Dwayne Evans recorded a double-double with 22 points and 12 boards for SLU while shooting an impressive 7-for-13 from the field. Kwamain Mitchell had 18 points.

With the loss, GW clings to the 11th seed in the A-10 tournament with a trip to La Salle on Wednesday. The Billikens look to keep hold of first place on Wednesday at Xavier.

Bonnies rout Charlotte

St. Bonaventure blew out a struggling Charlotte squad at home, 104-83, on Saturday.

The Bonnies (14-13, 7-7 A 10) showed they were in the zone right from the beginning, outscoring Charlotte, 53-24, in the first half of the game. Bonnies guard Matthew Wright was on fire, shooting 6-for-8 from the field, including 3-for-4 from long-range with 20 points. However, teammate Eric Mosley led the show for St. Bonaventure with 23 points and five rebounds.

Despite a minuscule 24 points in the first half, the 49ers bursted with life in the second half with a high-powered 59 points. The charge was led by guards Terrence Williams and Victor Nickerson, who scored 17 and 18 points, respectively, for Charlotte (18-10, 6-8 A 10).

However, the offensive second half was tainted by allowing 51 points to the Bonnies, making it near-impossible for the 49ers to win the game.

St. Bonaventure travels to Dayton on Wednesday while the 49ers head to Duquesne.

Tom Mulherin can be reached at tmulheri.umass.edu.