Recovery fund established for former UMass student Chloe Rombach -

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Minutemen search for answers following blowout loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

UMass dominated in 85-65 loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Exhibition on military drones now on display in Hampden Gallery

An 18-foot-long rhinestone-covered replica of a U.S. Predator drone is the center of a new multimedia art exhibit that opened on March 1 at the Hampden Gallery in the University of Massachusetts’s Southwest Residential Area.

Delia Barth/Collegian

The exhibition, called “Home Drone,” was created by  Heather Layton, a senior lecturer at the University of Rochester, and Brian Bailey, a professor of adolescence education at Nazareth College. It features several multimedia pieces representing the effects of drone strikes in Middle Eastern countries such as Pakistan.

The exhibit prompts viewers to imagine what would happen if a drone hit the state of Massachusetts through textual stories, photographs and video.

Within the exhibit, there is a map of drone strikes that have occurred in Pakistan superimposed onto a map of Massachusetts displaying what would be wiped out.

Anne Laprade Seuthe, Director of the Hampden Gallery, was greatly impacted by the superimposed map.

“Those drone strikes could have been on a playground, at a wedding, a funeral … It makes you think – any action that you take, you never know what the ripple effect will be,” said Seuthe.

According to a University press release, in addition to increasing social awareness about the controversy, Layton hopes the exhibit will aid in creating cultural understanding between the U.S. and Pakistan, in addition to helping “to cultivate peaceful relationships between individuals, regardless of religion, gender, socioeconomic status, age, nationality and culture.”

“Hearing the human stories of the strikes humanizes the situation. Layton and Bailey went to Pakistan and met all these people who have been impacted by drone violence. It’s a moral dilemma but I think any time you deal with war it tends to be, because is it better to put American soldiers at risk?” said John Simpson, the manager of the Hampden Gallery and lecturer in the Art, Architecture, and Art History Department at UMass.

The Hampden Gallery doesn’t usually host social protests or politically geared showings, but this exhibit seemed relevant enough for Seuthe to make an exception, mostly because of the high level of the artist commitment toward achieving a greater level of social understanding.

“This exhibit brings a topic to light that is intended to spark debate or conversations about the whole drone program. It helps you look at your own human scale in relationship to this object, as the artists call it, a ‘killing machine,’” said Seuthe.

According to Seuthe, the drone replica has been catching the most attention at the exhibition, but once people look around they realize how much there is to learn..

“The human stories hanging on the wall are different than they would be in a book because seeing them showcased in a gallery is just different. It’s more powerful,” said Seuthe.

The exhibition also features a laptop opened up to a clip of the 2012 presidential debate that replays a clip of Mitt Romney saying he whole-heartedly supports the drone program.

“This is what the Pakistanis see – the leaders of the free world saying how great the drone program is while families are being killed,” said Seuthe.

Seuthe hopes the exhibit will invite people of all perspectives on the campus and throughout the larger community.

“Home Drone aims to get people to talk and discuss critical issues that affect us each day,” said Seuthe.

Senior Japanese and linguistics major Jenny McKeon has worked as a gallery guard assistant at the Hampden Gallery for about three years.

She said that the drone exhibit has helped her to better understand the impact drones are having in the Middle East.

“This exhibit is more powerful than many of the other shows we see in the Hampden Gallery. It has more of a political message, but it’s also really informative,” said McKeon.

According to the release,  both Layton and Bailey were named “citizen diplomats” by the U.S. Department of State in 2012. Their previous works have included installations that challenge assumptions about urban gun violence, fears of other cultures, and consumerism and self-absorption.

The exhibit will be open until March 26 but will be closed during spring recess, March 17 to 24. The gallery is open from 1 to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and on Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m.

Samara Abramson can be reached at sfabrams@student.umass.edu.

3 Responses to “Exhibition on military drones now on display in Hampden Gallery”
  1. Mike says:

What’s the point of having a clip of Romney sayign he supports the drone strikes? He doesn’t have anything to do with it besides saying his opinion.

I hope the use of drones increases. The drones are highly effective in eliminating key members of terrorist organizations. In this type of warfare the hunter-killer model is what is needed. Drones are able to quickly react on kill oppurunities.

2. Kris says:

Why is it using a clip of Romney, when it’s the Obama admin that’s increased the use of them so much? Such a joke.

3. Pam says:

I too wonder why there is a clip of Romney saying he supports the drone strikes while it is still happening under Obama’s watch. “This is what the Pakistanis see – the leaders of the free world saying how great the drone program is while families are being killed,” BUT do they see what their radicalism has done to us? We must not forget that they hate America and our people and will strike both here and abroad. We MUST find the line between protection and murder.