Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Sellner: Time is now for UMass basketball fans to pack Mullins

Alex Aritan/Collegian

It’s been a recurring topic of discussion for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team – trying to lobby fans, students and Amherst residents to come out and support the Minutemen as they mount their final push for one of the final selections in the NCAA Tournament.

And with its biggest game of the year and recent memory awaiting UMass (18-9, 8-6 Atlantic 10) on Thursday night with a home test against Butler (22-7, 9-5 A-10), the time for the Minutemen faithful to come out and fill the Mullins Center is now.

Not next game, not next season – now.

The Bulldogs come into Amherst as one of the premier programs in the country, a team that has reached the national championship game two of the last three seasons. They’ve also beaten Gonzaga and Indiana – both teams that have been ranked No. 1 this year – this season.

If UMass managed to conjure up an upset, the Minutemen could leap into serious contention of bubble teams trying to make the Big Dance. In fact, CBS Sports bracketology expert Jerry Palm has UMass in one of four play-in games for the NCAA Tournament in a battle for the 12th seed against former Minuteman coach John Calipari and reigning national champion Kentucky in the Midwest bracket.

Is Thursday not a big enough game for you? No? OK, how’s this?

Point guard Chaz Williams has openly lobbied fans, especially the students, to come out and catch a UMass game. In fact, he even offered to give fans a ride on his snowmobile to its game against Temple after the snowstorm left most of the Amherst area snowed into their homes and dormitories.

Before practice on Tuesday, Williams said he has been sending out tweets to fans to encourage them to come, even going up to students on campus to ask them if they’ll be at the game.

And while he couldn’t promise to offer up rides to the game, he still gave a pitch to bring fans out to the game.

“It’ll give us a huge advantage,” Williams said. “When it’s not even packed and there’s just a couple of people in the student section, we feed off of that and we do pretty well off of that, so I can only imagine if the whole place was packed and everybody is chanting for us.”

The Minutemen are a team that can mount dominating runs in the matter of minutes that can completely sway momentum in a given contest. Their full-court pressure tempo constantly has the foot on the gas pedal and if the opposition starts to lose focus, UMass can make them pay in a hurry. And with a packed house of screaming fans, the environment can make it very difficult for any team, even one as impressive and as good as Butler, to come in and win a game at the Mullins Center.

Williams went even further to say that a vibrant student section might make the team do something “crazy.”

“I might try to dunk on somebody, who knows,” Williams said with a laugh.

Thanks to their up-tempo style of play, it’s hard for the Minutemen to string together back-to-back games, which is commonplace in the A-10 Tournament with games running every day from March 14 to the championship game on March 17. If UMass gained a first round bye, it would advance straight to the semifinals, leaving just two games between the Minutemen and the conference title game, which has an automatic berth to the Big Dance on the line.

Is that still not enough to go to the game on Thursday? No? Really?

So much for UMass is riding on this one game. Why wouldn’t fans want to be a part of what could be the next big step the Minutemen take towards the national spotlight?

A UMass win on Thursday is far from a lock, as Butler is one of the best teams in the conference and has proven it belongs in the forefront of the college basketball picture.

But a packed house could be the difference maker that the Minutemen need to swing the pendulum in their favor.

Some fans might hold out on buying into the program until UMass’ chances of making the tournament are more of a lock than an outside ray of hope.

But for Kellogg, he’s just happy to have a chance.

“It’s a good position to be in,” he said. “It’s better than probably about 240 teams that really aren’t playing for much right now.”

If that’s not good enough to head down to the Mullins Center on Thursday, then so be it. The Minutemen will still be there.

Waiting.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Stephen_Sellner.

2 Responses to “Sellner: Time is now for UMass basketball fans to pack Mullins”
  1. Gus says:

Actually, Jerry Palm has UMass as one of the “Last Four Out” teams, while he has Kentucky playing La Salle in the play-in game.

I couldn’t believe when he even had UMass in it at all. They have only 1 win vs. a tournament team, Lasalle by 1pt….and an 8-6 A10 record with losses to St. Bonaventure, GW, Charlotte….yea

2. Matt says:

Gus to be fair a bunch of the sites dropped us from their “Last Four IN” early this morning. Article was written last night.

I’m skeptical of an at-large too, but a win tonight would help. We’re certainly not in even with a win, but it’s the first step.

Be there tonight!