Luke Pavone jumpstarts UMass men’s soccer’s comeback effort in win over Fairfield -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer earns first win of the season in emotional home opener -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Ed Davis report leaves nobody blameless -

Friday, September 19, 2014

White House starts public awareness drive to prevent sexual attacks on campus -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass basketball beaten badly on the glass in loss to Butler

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

The game plan is simple for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team: Get a defensive stop, grab the defensive rebound, get on the fast break and convert transition buckets.

When one of those ingredients goes missing, it spells deep trouble, and that’s exactly what happened in UMass’ 73-62 loss to Butler on Thursday night at the Mullins Center.

The Bulldogs outrebounded the Minutemen 37-20, which included 17 on the offensive glass, as they continuously found ways to get second chances and prevent UMass from doing what it does best – get on the break and run. It was by far the Minutemen’s lowest rebounding output of the season and only the second time they have pulled down less than 30 boards in a game.

UMass coach Derek Kellogg had no answers and was left scratching his head during the postgame press conference.

“I’m not sure, honestly,” he said. “I mean, they just came up with balls. … When you don’t get any defensive rebounds or clean rebounds, we’re not gonna get any transition baskets, which happened tonight. I just think they out-toughed us.”

Early and often, Butler controlled the glass, as it got out to a quick lead – which it never relinquished – with the help of second-chance points. The Bulldogs finished with 17 second-chance points to just five for UMass, constantly frustrating a Minutemen team that was desperate to push the tempo.

At the head of it all was Butler center Andrew Smith, who grabbed a season-high 15 rebounds – including five on the offensive end. Time after time, Smith was able to either pull down the board or tip a miss out to open teammates, who did the rest of the work for him.

“As long as you can keep the ball alive, go ahead and do it,” Smith said. “I don’t really care if I can get the rebound or not. I mean, if you get a tap out to Rotnei (Clarke) or Kellen (Dunham), that’s as good as three points. That’s something we focus on and try to do.”

It was especially frustrating for UMass because, more often than not, it was able to get the initial stop before getting beat on the boards. Terrell Vinson said that over time that began to wear down on the Minutemen mentally.

“You don’t want them to get the offensive rebound and then you get your coach mad at you because you didn’t,” Vinson said. “It’s kind of frustrating and wears you down, but sometimes the game just goes that way when teams execute their offense well and they can kind of get their guys in the right rebounding position.”

And for a Minutemen team that thrives on getting the defensive rebound to jump-start their offense, it spelled defeat. They finished the game with just six fast break points and simply were never able to get in a rhythm.

A quick turnaround

UMass has no time to dwell on its loss to Butler as it has to travel to Rhode Island for its regular season finale on Saturday afternoon at the Ryan Center.

The Minutemen (18-10, 8-7 Atlantic 10) currently sit in seventh place in the conference standings. With a win, they could move up to as high as sixth place if Xavier loses to Butler on Saturday. A loss could potentially put them into a six-way tie at 8-8 in the standings depending on other results, and they can finish as low as 10th for next week’s A-10 Tournament.

As complex as the scenarios can be, Kellogg is just trying to make it simple. UMass hits the road Friday morning.

“We get on the bus, we have breakfast, we get on to practice, have dinner and really play,” Kellogg said. “It’s as much mental at this point. … We understand it was a missed opportunity with a great crowd. The fortunate thing is the season’s not over. We still have an opportunity in front of us.”

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.

One Response to “UMass basketball beaten badly on the glass in loss to Butler”
  1. tom massetti says:

Unfortunately Mr. Kellogg, your chances at an NCAA berth ARE over! No effort, hustle or toughness, and you wonder why nobody cares!Once again another lost opportunity with a great
    crowd and fantastic student support you lay anotherr EGG!