UMass men’s soccer falls to No. 6 Syracuse in season opener -

UMass football boasts young, balanced rushing attack going into 2016 season -

UMass football looks to add more size, depth on defensive side heading into 2016 -

UMass football gets back in action with start of training camp -

UMass football coach Mark Whipple announces Ross Comis as starting quarterback, transfer Andrew Ford close behind -

Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

UMass men’s lacrosse loses third straight at Bucknell

The No. 9 Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team’s recent slide continued Saturday with a 7-4 loss at Bucknell.

The loss was the third in a row for the Minutemen.

Saturday’s game was a defensive battle throughout. And UMass (3-3) appeared to have the able as it held the Bison (4-1) scoreless until there was just 9 minutes, 49 seconds remaining in the third quarter.

Taylor C. Snow

“They played very well. I mean they shut out a team for 37 minutes or so – in Division I college lacrosse that’s a pretty good job,” UMass coach Greg Cannella said of his defense’s performance on Saturday. “You know (it was) a combination of really good communication, good preparation and good goalie play. You know you’ve got to be happy with that. You hope it can be consistent.”

However, it wasn’t the defense that was the issue for the Minutemen. The offense could only muster a season-low four goals, which is much less than the double-digit goal plateau that Cannella has consistently said his team needs to reach in order to win lacrosse games.

“You have to score in double digits if you expect to win college lacrosse games at this level and if you don’t you’re not gonna regardless of how well your defense plays,” he said.

The Minutemen’s offense did not capitalize on the shutout their defense provided them early on and only netting two goals in the first half for a 2-0 lead at the break.

That’s when Bucknell’s offense came alive.

The Bison outscored UMass 7-2 in the final 30 minutes, a result of poor offensive execution throughout.

“If you look at the stats we shot poorly,” Cannella said. “We shot 4-for-25 and 16 percent. Our attack group shot 3-for-19 and 15 percent. So if you’re not gonna get a lot of shots and you shoot poorly, then we had great opportunities in this game that we didn’t finish. So you should be finishing in the 35 to 40 percent range if you want to win these games.”

Trailing 2-0 after the break, the Bison rattled off three-straight goals to take its first the lead of the game.

Thomas Flibotte, who finished with three goals on the day, scored the first two goals during that stretch and then Chase Bailey gave Bucknell its first lead with 5:49 remaining in the third.

Kyle Smith answered  for UMass with his second of three goals on the day and tied the game back up with 2:31 remaining in the third.

But the Bison dominated play in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Minutemen 4-1 in the frame.

Sean Doyle scored the first two Bucknell goals of the fourth.

Smith got UMass back to within one with 8:33 remaining, but the Bison pulled away for good on goals by Ryan Joseph and Flibotte.

Neither team could get on the scoreboard through the first quarter, but Andrew Sokol broke the scoreless drought with 13:18 remaining in the second quarter. Smith then added his first of three goals to make it 2-0.

Connor Mooney led UMass in the assist category with two on the day. Grant Whiteway and Bobby Tyler each had one.

Defensively, each team scooped up 28 ground balls and forced 14 turnovers. Goalkeeper Zachary Oliveri came up with 13 saves.

James Fahey returned from an undisclosed injury for UMass on Saturday, but its two other injured players, Will Manny and Colin Fleming, did not play.

Saturday’s game was the third in a week for the Minutemen, but now they will have a week to prepare for their next game and first Colonial Athletic Association conference opponent No. 13 Penn State which they will host next Saturday at noon.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @ Cam_McDonough.