Chaz Williams named to All-Atlantic 10 first team

For the second season in a row, Massachusetts men’s basketball point guard Chaz Williams has received All-Atlantic 10 first team honors, as announced by the league on Tuesday.

Cade Belisle/Collegian

The junior guard, who was also named to the preseason A-10 first team, lived up to his high expectations as he once again led the A-10 in assists. His 7.6 per game average by far topped the next closest, Duquesne guard Derrick Colter, who finished the regular season with 5.2 assists per game.

Williams also finished tied for sixth in the conference in scoring (15.4 per game), second in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.3), sixth in steals per game (2.0) and third in minutes played per game (35.7) as he led the Minutemen (19-10, 9-7 A-10) to the No. 6 seed in this week’s Atlantic 10 Tournament, which begins Thursday in his native Brooklyn, N.Y.

Williams joined Temple guard Khalif Wyatt, who was named A-10 Player of the Year, La Salle guard Ramon Galloway, Saint Louis forward Dwayne Evans and Butler guard Rotnei Clarke on the first team.

“It shows that my hard work has been paying off and everything,” Williams said before practice on Tuesday. “I’m honored and it’s a pleasure to be on the list with those guys but I feel like I wouldn’t be on there without my teammates.”

Williams is the only representative from UMass that earned a regular season award.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.