Minutewomen remain perfect at home with convincing win over Vermont

It did not take long for the No. 17 Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team to impose its dominance over Vermont on Wednesday afternoon.

Patrick Strohecker/Collegian

Led by their two leading scorers, Katie Ferris and Sam Rush, the Minutewomen (6-2) turned a strong start into a convincing win over the Catamounts (3-4), winning 16-5 at McGuirk Stadium.

“It was crucial,” UMass coach Angela McMahon said. “But, it was more crucial that we maintained that start and momentum and I think that we got a little complacent after that.”

After being tied at 1 five minutes, 58 seconds into the game, UMass scored six unanswered goals, putting its stamp on the game long before the halftime break. Senior Lauren Terracciano led the charge in the first half, scoring two goals in the span of 10 minutes to help push the Minutewomen lead to 9-4 at the halftime break.

Even with the five-goal lead at the half, there was still room for improvement for UMass heading into the final 30 minutes.

“We slowed down towards the second half of the first half,” Rush said. “And it was really important going into the second half that we pick up the momentum and I think we did. We had a nice little goal run and that set the tone for the rest of the game.”

The Minutewomen started the second half the way they did the first half, coming out fast, scoring the first six goals out of the break and pushing their lead up to 15-4.

It was not until 10 minutes, 27 seconds left in the game that Vermont scored its lone goal of the second half. At that point it was too little, too late, as UMass went on to win its sixth game of the season.

The Minutewomen only surrendered 13 shots the entire game, controlling the ball for the majority of it and not allowing the Catamounts to generate any consistent offense.

“We take a lot of pride in working hard on the draw control, ground balls and our ride,” McMahon said. “I think those are three areas where it’s really just hard work and dedication and determination to getting that ball and those were the three things that got us the win today because we had more possession.”

With so much of the game taking place in the attacking end, it was important for UMass to stay focused on the defensive end.

“I think it is just being ready at all times,” McMahon said. “It’s just anticipating the play, wherever the ball is going, that they’re ready for an overthrow or a turnover at anytime, so I think they’re always ready.”

The Minutewomen held an 11-8 advantage on ground balls and were a perfect 4-for-4 on clears in the game.

The win capped off a perfect three-game homestand for UMass and improved its home record to 4-0 on the season.

The Minutewomen must now prepare for a quick turnaround, with a game Saturday at Sacred Heart.

“We’ll have a quick rest and then get right back at it Friday,” Rush said.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter at @MDC_Strohecker.