Sex Educator makes students say “Oh Megan!”

Flickr/Jason Carlin

When students think of sex-ed, they might get uncomfortable or think they already know it all. But Megan Andelloux, a certified sexologist and sex educator, aims to shatter all stereotypes, and she’s bringing her “Study Sex College Tour” to the University of Massachusetts on March 26.

“Fornication 101” is hosted by VOX: Students for Reproductive Justice, which partnered with Planned Parenthood to advocate for and educate students on campus about reproductive rights, especially those of women.

Andelloux, who is also known as “Oh Megan!,” promises on her website to educate students about “petting kitties, putting condoms on with your mouth, anal adventures, g-spot stimulation,” and a few other racy topics. She typically does so with a series of PowerPoint slides and videos – but students are always warned before they are shown any nudity.

Audience participation is encouraged, although it is not mandatory. Andelloux often rewards the first attendee to speak or ask a question. In her 2011 event at UMass, she gave a Tenga masturbatory glove to a male audience member who volunteered to speak first.

Interaction with the audience allows Andelloux to achieve the main goal of the event: to create an open forum for students to talk about sex.

“In society, even though most people make the decision to have sex at some point in their lives, it is still a really taboo subject,” explained VOX Vice President Brittany Morgan. “By opening the floor and giving people a space to talk about sex, it gives people knowledge about how to make safer choices and works at dismantling the taboo.”

Andelloux’s event is open to people of all sexual orientations and identities. It aims to teach sex positivity and encourage students to make healthy, well-informed choices about their sex lives.

“(Andelloux’s) workshops provide empowerment, communication tools, conversation around consent, and much more as part of the education she offers,” the “Oh Megan!” website explains. “(It) offers a healthy, medically and evidence based introduction to these items, rather than forcing them to find frequently flawed information from the internet, peers and other sources.”

“Students can expect to leave feeling more comfortable, and maybe even more adventurous, about their bodies,” Morgan said. “And empowered to make healthy decisions about their current or future sex lives.”

“She creates a positive sentiment around sexual health and pleasure,” adds VOX President Alexandra Abbott. “She provides a space that allows people to think creatively about their own experiences, instead of thinking that sex has to be ‘done’ in a certain way.”

Unlike your typical sex-ed course, attendees can expect a laugh as well.

“Megan has the ability to be absolutely hilarious while also getting the message across,” Morgan said.

In the past, Andelloux has always surprised audiences. During her sex toy workshop last year, she explained that students can have a “magical moment” even within the aisles of Target. Given her track record, students who attend “Fornication 101” can probably expect a surprise or two as well.

“So many people are excited to attend the event,” Morgan said. “Sex is still a pretty taboo subject so there’s always a chance that having an open forum will be badly perceived, but so far I’ve only gotten positive responses.”

Morgan continued to say that Andelloux’s event in the fall of 2011, as well as her sex toy workshop during QueerFest last spring, were enjoyed by all who attended. “I thought that it was great that we could have an open forum for young adults to openly talk about sex positivity in a way that was entertaining, informative, fun, and inclusive for all people,” she said.

Andelloux’s “Fornication 101” will be held in the Student Union Ballroom on March 26 from 7 to 9 p.m.

Jake Reed can be reached at [email protected].