Minutemen’s losing streak hits 10 after weekend sweep

The Massachusetts baseball team’s losing streak reached double-digits after dropping a three-game series at George Washington this weekend.

The series, which opened UMass’ Atlantic 10 Conference slate, had been scheduled to be played in Amherst, but was moved to Washington D.C. after a spring storm blanketed Earl Lorden Field with snow.

The Minutemen (1-12, 0-3 A-10) were held to just two runs over the three-game set and have now lost 10 games in a row.

UMass’ offensive struggles were most apparent in its 1-0 loss to the Colonials (7-15, 3-0 A-10) on Sunday. Though starter Jordan Pace threw a complete game, allowing only one earned run on five hits and two walks, the Minutemen managed only two hits and left 10 runners on base.

George Washington third baseman Eric Kalman drove in the only run of the game with an RBI double in the fourth inning.

Colonial pitchers Max Kaplow, who tossed 6 2/3 shutout innings while allowing the two hits, and Craig Lejeune handled the rest.

With his impressive performance, Pace now leads UMass’ starting pitchers in earned run averaged (2.93), strikeouts (20), wins (1) and innings pitched (27 2/3).

Right fielder Adam Picard and designated hitter Rob McLam recorded the only hits for UMass.

Minutemen drop Friday double-header

Because of the scheduling quirk created by the snowstorm, the Minutemen were forced to play the first two games of the series as a double-header. George Washington took both games, winning the back end, 7-1, and opener, 4-1.

UMass was again stymied by the Colonials’ starting pitching in the second game, this time by Aaron Weisberg, who tossed a complete game, allowing only one earned run on six hits while striking out six and walking none.

After three scoreless innings from both teams, catcher Mattieu Robért singled home the first run of the game off starter Andrew Grant to start the fourth. Center fielder Ryan Hickey then lined a bases-loaded double to left center, scoring all three runners.

George Washington blew open the game in the sixth with another three unearned runs off reliever Dan Stoops after a two-out error by third baseman Nik Campero.

A solo home run in the seventh from first baseman Dylan Begin accounted for the Minutemen’s only run of the game.

Grant took the loss for UMass, allowing four earned runs on six hits and four walks over five innings while striking out four.

In the early game it was Luke Staub, who allowed one earned run on five hits over seven innings while striking out five and walking none, who kept the Minutemen hitters in check.

The Colonials recorded three singles and a walk off starter D.J. Jauss in the top of the first to push across the game’s first run. A solo home run from Robért and RBI single by second baseman Justin Albright in the third inning extended George Washington’s lead to 3-0.

UMass scratched across its only run of the game on a fourth-inning RBI single from left fielder Rich Graef that plated shortstop Vinny Scifo. The Colonials tacked on an unearned insurance run in the seventh on an error by Begin.

Jauss worked seven innings, allowing all four runs (two earned) on eight hits and three walks while striking out five. Center fielder Jeff Cavanaro recorded a game-high three hits for the Minutemen.

UMass’ standalone game against Hartford scheduled for Wednesday was postponed until April 17. Weather permitting, the Minutemen are scheduled to host their home-opener on Friday at 3 p.m. against the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Daniel Malone can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Daniel_Malone.